Misternatural

Door operation tips

Casa with the door up / open, or the Skyvans; is it a pushbutton hydraulic electrical operation? What is the general exit protocol for "door" time on those types of planes?

The Casa door is hydraulic and is operated by the Co-pilot. The jumpers have no control of the door.

The Skyvan door, on the other hand is opened and closed by the jumpers.
The Skyvan actually has a two piece door. A large door section, that is hinged at the rear of the aircraft and a small forward door. Depending on the mod type of the door the door sections are either connected or seperate.
On the aircraft that have seperate door pieces the small forward door is removed. This leaves a gap of about 18" that you have to lean across to unlatch the door. Plus, the door is quite heavey. Bungee cords are used to help support the weight of the door and make it easier to lift.
To open the door you must lean across the gap, unlatch the door using the handle, then grab the bottom of the door, raise it all the way up and re-latch it in the up position.
Door commands are given by lights, just like other aircraft.

as hot as it gets in the summer in Florida, I've seen some dropzones leave the door all the way open for the entire ride.

That may be comfortable for some in front, but too cold for some in back. And another reason why that might not be a good idea, is that it's noisy, and makes it difficult for tandem masters and AFF instructors to communicate with their passengers and students. I think it's nice to have some quiet time above 6,000' so that final preparations and instructions can be done clearly. By then it should be cool enough inside with the door closed. And I say that as someone jumping in a 100-degree Texas summer.

turn the handle and the door will spring open to a latch

Don't kick the handle!!!!
I've forgotting how many times I had to fix that handle because some jumper was too lazy to bend over, so they just kicked the handle to release the latch.

I've forgotting how many times I had to fix that handle because some jumper was too lazy to bend over, so they just kicked the handle to release the latch.

They're not lazy, they're scared of the huge hole! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

They're not lazy, they're scared of the huge hole!

I remember one time we did a Fly Away load and I had to go back and close the door with a Pilot's Bail-out rig on. I was alittle nervous then since my intentions were not to jump.

I'm not a huge fan of completely open doors, especially at low alti's.
I keep thinking about pilot chutes and stuff.

as hot as it gets in the summer in Florida, I've seen some dropzones leave the door all the way open for the entire ride.

That may be comfortable for some in front, but too cold for some in back.

In the words of a load organiser at Perris:

"Let's put the Dutch guy in the cold seat. With the kind of weather they got over there he won't notice anyway."
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

They're not lazy, they're scared of the huge hole!

14 years ago in Deland, I was a new jumper with about 50 jumps in my logbook, and this was my first time at a different DZ. One load in the Skyvan was me, a couple tandems, and a four way team.

These guys had matching jumpsuits and rigs, and looked very professional. They even stood up and did a 'dirt dive' at around 10K, and I have to say, I was impressed.

Right up until jumprun, when one of the guys turned to me and said, 'Can you open the door for us, we're all too scared to go near that thing'.

Needless to say, I was no longer impressed.

>Sorry ... I should have helped out, but I was too lazy to scoot my arse forward.

HAHAHAHAHA

thanks O

you notice I did not react much:P.....I have gotten yelled at plenty and have had to buy many many beers over the years..... :D

plus sometimes you gotta just learn shit the rough way:D

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

1000ft - check for seatbelts off....open the door all the way

don't open the door at any altitude you aren't comfortable pulling your main (no matter how much the TMs complain about the heat)

don't crack the door such that a pilot chute can get out but you can't

I had assumed this year's PAC would follow the same procedures as an Otter. Don't know if it is different because of the plane, or the pilot, or if DZO's just decided to do things differently.

We used to open the door all the way on the Otter and the general rule seemed to be all the way or not at all. Now with the PAC it seems like the general rule is a few inches and no more. I'd rather have it closed than open a foot.

Glad I'm almost always near the back in a plane flying with the door open only 6 inches.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

OPEN THE DOOR; I'M BEGGING YOU, OPEN THE DOOR.

DON'T YOU KNOW A JOKE WHEN YOU HEAR ONE? OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!!!!!

(turning towards the monster) HELLO THERE HANDSOME!
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

*** If you're a guy up front and the guys in charge of the door aren't opening it fast enough or are taking "too long" to spot or whatever, shut the fuck up. They know more about what's going on at the door than you do. ***

I just came back from Summerfest as an organizer.

Out of 60 jumps I was involved in opening the door at least 50 times.

I love it when people in the front of the plane start yelling DOOR !!!! the instant the door light comes on. As if I can't see those lights I've been staring at for the last 30 seconds.

They obviously don't realize that sometimes the light comes on more than a mile before climbout.

Before I open the door I put my lens down, check for hands on the floater bar and warn people behind me that the door is opening so they don't get their head or rig scraped.

Now I know that people should be more heads up, but the truth is, some just aren't and it's my job to look out for them.

I always get the door open in time to check for traffic and in plenty of time to be ready for the climb out.

For those of you who feel compelled to scream at us,
may I suggest chillaxing just a bit.

Screaming seldom makes people move any faster but it does make you look like an anxious nervous newbie.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

*** If you're a guy up front and the guys in charge of the door aren't opening it fast enough or are taking "too long" to spot or whatever, shut the fuck up. They know more about what's going on at the door than you do. ***

I just came back from Summerfest as an organizer.

Out of 60 jumps I was involved in opening the door at least 50 times.

I love it when people in the front of the plane start yelling DOOR !!!! the instant the door light comes on. As if I can't see those lights I've been staring at for the last 30 seconds.

They obviously don't realize that sometimes the light comes on more than a mile before climbout.

Before I open the door I put my lens down, check for hands on the floater bar and warn people behind me that the door is opening so they don't get their head or rig scraped.

Now I know that people should be more heads up, but the truth is, some just aren't and it's my job to look out for them.

I always get the door open in time to check for traffic and in plenty of time to be ready for the climb out.

Screaming seldom makes people move any faster but it does make you look like an anxious nervous newbie dumbass.

Fixed it for you Sandy... ;)

Screaming seldom makes people move any faster but it does make you look like an anxious nervous newbie.

the more they scream the slower I go, eventually I just stare at them, that trains em to shut up
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I'm not a huge fan of completely open doors, especially at low alti's.
I keep thinking about pilot chutes and stuff.

If you worry about pilot chutes getting out, then you should be even more worried about doors that are open just a few inches

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I remember jumping with you at CouchFreaks a few years ago and this yelling "GO!!!" was going on from the back. The pilot was calling green a mile short of the airport on a super windy day. (i.e., the spot for the whole airplane needed to start about a 0.4 past, not 1.0 before)

We just let the others go first since they were screaming. They all landed about a mile short and needed to be picked up. (And, they were so scared about getting out that the 3 groups that did go early kinda left tight (without proper separation)).

It just shows that spotting is still a good skill, and spotting bigger craft is another good skill.

Everybody that followed your advice landed on.

It's a fond memory :D:D

as for opening/cracking the door low - it's amazing how complacent people get that they sacrifice safety for a temporary comfort - above 2K, I'll open that door and leave it open all the way to 14K. Below 2K - it's shut and they can cry all they want - if a pilot chute sneaks out at 500 feet under that 6 inch open door, the whole planeload dies - but at least 1 or 2 tandem instructors were slightly less sweaty for that 500 feet.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

hey, this is dropzone.com; you cant just start arguing reason here all of a sudden!

sorry, my bad - BOOBIES

everybody has different and valid opinions here - that's what makes it good for discussion

(thanks, though - a hot airplane can be a real touchy subject for a lot of people)

Point about cracking the door conceded.

as for opening/cracking the door low - it's amazing how complacent people get that they sacrifice safety for a temporary comfort - above 2K, I'll open that door and leave it open all the way to 14K. Below 2K - it's shut and they can cry all they want - if a pilot chute sneaks out at 500 feet under that 6 inch open door, the whole planeload dies - but at least 1 or 2 tandem instructors were slightly less sweaty for that 500 feet.

Good stuff, this.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

:D:D:D

for some reason, i dont like asking a "serious" question on the forums; whatever it is, some douche always starts raining shit on your parade.. best example was the "most memorable tandem-student"-thread recently.. all feel good, until some guy.. completely fucks it up! :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

lots of good points

first of which is... YES... If YOU see the light from waaaay the hell UP in the plane,, then people AT the door also see the light!!!!:S sheesh!!!

Hell if we wanted a screeeching shout !! from waay up in the plane,, then we'd do away with the lights altogether, and just have the pilot turn to the closest jumper,,, nod, and then, That person could scream to their hearts delight " AHHHH !!! Door !! Door!! Door Door door door..... But we Don't do that do we?????
hahahahaha

slow is fast. sure applies here...

treat the door like it's a woman, slow and gentle will work wonders. ;) start getting rammy and rushing things.... could be trouble...[:/]:(

keep in mind the current status of winds aloft... and if you are opening the Door AND leading the first group out.....DO at least take a GOOD look down, verify the location, check the spot, LOOK for traffic...make an assessment of ground speed, and if it's appropriate,,( i.e. a real sloooow ground speed....) verbally Notify those deep in the plane,, to " relax!!!!! AND leave good seperation between groups"...
Often a cameraperson is first out, and therefore near the door... Not sure of others,, but I SURE do appreciate some help with a roll-up door, and NOT some ham-handed horseing of the door.. but a gentle, coordinated effort.. trying to be effective alone, AND keeping cameras away from the plexi, as the door starts to move is tough for me...
Those who are standing nearby need to be very aware as well ,, soas to Not get smacked in the head, and can also help to assure the door goes all the way to the stops...

As for a cessna.. i tend to simply ASK the pilot, if he or she will be operating the handle,, NO reason at all to be "caught by surprise" when it is time to climb out...

Best Door, of an aircraft,, that i EVER got to pass through ?????

That big vault -like door which Don Kirlin swung open for us, ( about FIVE minutes after take-off ) when we skydived the Boeing 727....B|;)

jt
4 stack 930