Misternatural

Door operation tips

If YOU see the light from waaaay the hell UP in the plane,, then people AT the door also see the light!!!!:S sheesh!!!

Not necessarily. The guy in the door is usually checking the spot and looking for traffic, and should be, not staring at a light high up on the cabin wall. I think it's a good procedure for the door man to concentrate on spotting and traffic, and someone else next to the door watches the light. When the light turns green, that person slaps the door man on the shoulder, to let him know the light is now green and he's clear to go. That way, the proper things are watched as fully as possible, without distraction.

True, bonus is that it also makes for a better tandemvid ;) I video the door opening and looking outside (gets lots of oohs and aahs of the family later) and keep an eye on the spot, I get a hint from my TM when the pilot thinks it's ok to get out, all without looking back and forth outside - light - outside - light - smile, student - repeat LOL

ciel bleu,
Saskia

sure enough JohnRich...
when i said "the people in the door", i guess i meant the 2 or 3 who are teamworking the spotting, door opening and then climbout..

together, one can spot, and be trusted,,,,, ;) without having to have people climbing over his back to 'double check'...:S, one can scan out and around, the camera person can stretch out and GET that shot which dragon2, so correctly notes is BIg on the video...;)
( i find that a well exaggerated lean out, and hard look DOWNvid person only needs 3 or 4 seconds, and this can be done between red and green... the others nearby, but not , out the door, watch the lights,, communication is made,
the climbout for the load,,, can begin..:)
PS . dragon2 another fun thing is to check with the pilot first,,, and if i am the last video person to leave, or the only video person on the dive... to climb out First... stay there,,, and catch each preceding group, as THEY exit... a good rotation out and down, while hanging on strong,, to the step and canera handle, can get some nice shots...
If i'm with the last tandem, i get back down into the door, as they move down the cabin, and then back out to a camera step exit...
again, with pre discussion about it, with those involved,, Can't have a TM freakin' out cause he or she sees thier camera, climbing out,,,, without them....
IF there are other video people, earlier in the load the camera step and handle MAY be shared.. or a front float exit may appeal to the other videographer,, with you or Me, videoing Them!!!!
again.

teamwork and imagination tempered with safety and common sense
can equal some unique video...

jmy

" ... open it ALL the way...ALL the way. ..."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That technique does not work with all types of airplanes.
For example, if you open the door on a Beechcraft King 90 series, it sets up a nasty vibration in the front of the cabin. Guys near the door cannot hear the vibration, but the vibration is so nasty that the pilot cannot hear air traffic controllers.

Even with a tight-fitting headset, the pilot cannot hear air traffic controllers.

Last time I checked, pilots needed clearance from air traffic controllers before dropping skydivers.