SkyIsLove83

Skydivers and the 'door'

I did my first 87 jumps as an army paratrooper (800-1200AGL SL jumps with rounds). In all thoes jumps i never had a moments thought about the door being open or afraid of going out of it ( as if you have a choice about it in the army). After 4 or 5 hours as cargo on a C-141 all I could think about was "Get me off this plane".
I have just started sport jumping with 2 IAD jumps under my belt. The ride up in the little Cesna 182 my home DZ has scares the hell out of me. Both jumps I have been 1st out so I get to sit right next to the door. Once the door opens I look out once, question my sanity, and wait for cue to go. Once that time comes I have no problem going even though I am scared out of my wits...I think the fear is why i do this
...always remember when jumping a round...at 100' slip into the wind...keep your feet and knees together...pray to god...and hit all 3 points of contact...FEET, A**, HEAD

I did my first 87 jumps as an army paratrooper (800-1200AGL SL jumps with rounds). In all thoes jumps i never had a moments thought about the door being open or afraid of going out of it ( as if you have a choice about it in the army). After 4 or 5 hours as cargo on a C-141 all I could think about was "Get me off this plane".
I have just started sport jumping with 2 IAD jumps under my belt. The ride up in the little Cesna 182 my home DZ has scares the hell out of me. Both jumps I have been 1st out so I get to sit right next to the door. Once the door opens I look out once, question my sanity, and wait for cue to go. Once that time comes I have no problem going even though I am scared out of my wits...I think the fear is why i do this

My DZ has a 182 and a 206, so I feel ya a bit. It's trippy sitting right on the edge of that open door! I'm pretty much the same way, get a nice rush when the door opens, then I turn and step out and I'm fine then.
Stop looking at me

For me I have no problem past 2000 feet as my anxiety just has to do with falling out of an open door.

I tell the floaters, "If I fall out accidentally, just follow me out and we'll claim the divers missed the count."

The first 25 jumps, I was afraid of skydiving.
The second 25 jumps, I was afraid of the plane ride (out in the air, I was in control).

Since then, it depends on the temperature near the door.
Float in the summer, dive in the winter.

At SpaceLand in the early 80's, while the Otter was boarding - my brother and I were goofin around
taking our time, jez generally bein cool...(so we thought) We were the last two to board the plane.
He got to sit with his back against the wall just behind the door. I had to sit along the edge in the middle of the door opening. Nothing to lean on or put a death grip on. I looked at my brother with some big ole scared eyes...he bent his knees and I shoved my feet under and let him drop his legs back on top. I realize that wouldn't have held me in the plane....but I was grabbin at straws:o
After reaching a couple grand it became the best seat in the house, but until then my butt was puckered up like a buggy hub!:D

Have had friends laugh at me for standing back from the door in a DC-3 while they were spotting. One guy said "dewd you're about to jump anyway.."
told him "I'll jump....just dont wanna fall out!"

I don't like needlessly hanging out near the door because of the thought of a pc or reserve going out before I do. Anything above 1500 and it's all gravy with me as far as falling out. Below that to 1000 is okay too, but you add to the pucker factor exponentially.

If people think they have an issue with the door on a plane, I'd like to see them on their first balloon jump. That's where the fear of God is put in you the first time :o
:P

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Something just feels a little off the first time you do one. It's all about the still air and extreme quiet. You can hear people that jump before you accelerate through the air. If they shout anything from a good ways below the basket you can hear it. Plus the "door" is 360 degrees around you. I've seen more than one experienced jumper really hesitate before climbing out, sometimes another jumper has to get in their head to get them relaxed and ready to jump. On exit you get the stomach in your throat sensation that you don't really get jumping airplanes.

Once you get your B license go do one and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's an incredible jump, but feels quite different. Make sure to put it on your "to do" list for jumps.

I was just saying that if you feel unconfortable at the open door of an airplane, you're going to be really unconfortable on a balloon. You get past it though, it's all part of the fun.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

i just did my first tandem/aff and i was soo eager to get out my instructor had to tell me to get my legs back in the plane and stay on my knees :D

at no point did fear even exist in my mind!

First, do you mean tandem, tandem progression or AFF?
Second, having no fear at all in the door on one's first-ever jump from an aircraft in flight is so extremely rare that, well ... let's just say it warrants a further explanation.

i just did my first tandem/aff and i was soo eager to get out my instructor had to tell me to get my legs back in the plane and stay on my knees :D

at no point did fear even exist in my mind!

First, do you mean tandem, tandem progression or AFF?
Second, having no fear at all in the door on one's first-ever jump from an aircraft in flight is so extremely rare that, well ... let's just say it warrants a further explanation.

I always thought sitting by the door was the best seat in the house, but someone who has no fear; that scares me...

I would have to say that you should be a little nervous or anxious at some point through out the jump. I still get nervous about 10-15 secs before the door opens but once it opens you have a job to do, and your training and the thrill takes over. The little bit of nervousness should be felt it keeps you safe and alive. I love skydiving and i mostly like being nervous or a little anxious...if I don't feel that nervous then I try something new to do because i feel i am getting to complacent with things so i try to push it a little more. Or progress more in the sport. I think if your getting complacent and not a little nervous you should try something new...not outrageous were you might kill your self but something to progress,learn, and get a rush!!!
-just my $.02

...when I started Skydiving, I called these "DOOR DEMONS". God damn, they would get so far under your skin, it would make me sooo fucked in the mind. I used to have dreams of the door when I started. For some reason, I got to do my first hop n pop before my release dive. I know, stupid, but I'm still here. After that, my head screamed "FUCK THAT DOOR. LET'S GO!!!" Door Demons are not nice things to have, but they will leave sooner or later.

P.S. That guy that is not afraid at all, stay the fuck away from me.

I'm probably somewhat past the anxiety phase, but these days, when the door opens, I get real focused. If I'm spotting, that's all I think about until climbout. Otherwise, I'm living in the moment, doing every action very deliberately.

The comments about the balloon jumps are quite right. Did another one this weekend, and my heart was going a thousand miles an hour. Funny in retrospect. One side of my brain is in a near panic, and the other side is telling it to calm down, as I'm leaving anyway. Turned out to be a great jump.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666