roostnureye

DZ is turning into tandem factory!

I really like my home dropzone but it seems that its turning into a tandem factory. i just want some ideas on how to change this.
The dz has a caravan, so space isnt an issue. I think the biggest problem is the DZO, seems all that is seen is $$$.
over the years there have been MANY talented flyers here, but most of them leave because of the dzo's attitude, constantly pissing people off.
i can count at least 5 people that have left in the last 6 months because of 1 dzo's attitude.
What would be the best way to bring the dz back to life?
I really like my dz and dont want to just give up and go somewhere else.

thanks everyone.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Go where everyone else did. You won't change the DZO's way, that will only change when he quits running the place. Then it will still take time to make it a fun jumper place along side the tandem business.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I really like my home dropzone

because of the dzo's attitude, constantly pissing people off.

It sounds funny when you put the two sentences together. In reality, though, they did come from the same post.

What's so great about a place with a DZO like that?

The dz has a caravan, so space isnt an issue. I think the biggest problem is the DZO, seems all that is seen is $$$.

You like all that space, huh?

Did you know that a Caravan (a used one) is a million dollar airplane? That's how much it costs for space to 'not be an issue' at your DZ.

That million bucks has to come from somewhere, and it's not coming from you very quickly at $21 a jump. If the guy wants a tandem factory, it's his playground, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'll echo what others have said - find out where all those talented flyers the DZO ran off are jumping, and join them.

I really like my home dropzone but it seems that its turning into a tandem factory. i just want some ideas on how to change this.
over the years there have been MANY talented flyers here, but most of them leave because of the dzo's attitude, constantly pissing people off.
i can count at least 5 people that have left in the last 6 months because of 1 dzo's attitude.

thanks everyone.

I had to click on your profile to see if you were form Indiana.

My old dz has a turbine and is a tandem factory. The DZO doesn't care about "fun jumpers" and refers to us as a roll oh nickles because that is all he makes on a fun jumper out of a Caravan.

I left there (still go over there on occassion) and now jump at a closer, smaller, Cessna dz and love every minute of it.

A turbine isn't everything.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I live 10 min. from a DZ that has the fastest jump plane on the east coast. They do mostly Tandems there, since the majority of the experienced jumpers have gone elsewhere. Luckily, there are 3 major DZs within about an hour's drive.

A close DZ is good, but a good DZ is better.

Kevin K.
Titusville FL

thanks everyone.

The DZO doesn't care about "fun jumpers" and refers to us as a roll oh nickles because that is all he makes on a fun jumper out of a Caravan.

My first thought, go somewhere else, but.... I know the former owners of a small, turbine drop zone that closed a couple of years ago. They had great tandem business, but lost their fun-jumpers for the same reasons you mentioned. Based on what they figured out after the fact, they closed in spite of the fact that their tandem business was great. They just couldn't fill the rest of the plane with fun jumpers. so if you want an arguement to make to your management, let them chew on this.
An empty slot on an airplane is like an empty hotel room. It has value only until today. If your DZ turbine is 2/3 full with tandem and video, every extra jumper added to the load is almost 100% profit. The extra fuel used to haul 4 more jumpers to altitiude is negligible. So if he really believes that "roll o nickles" crap, he's an idiot.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

That same DZ raised their jump ticket prices after a plane crash since the fun jumpers were preventing their tandems from jumping from their Cessna's so they wanted to milk every dime they could if they weren't flying a tandem and from what I understood it was mainly filling in the spare seat for a tandem+video load.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I paid 25 bucks to make a currency jump last year ON safety day, and was told no discount for a hop n pop @ 4 or 5 K because it cost the DZO more in tac time to slow down so I could get out on a tandem with video load. ;):S

That was a pretty clear message to a fun jumper IMHO. I should have gong to the other DZ for a 15 to 5.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

thanks everyone.

I had to click on your profile to see if you were form Indiana.

My old dz has a turbine and is a tandem factory. The DZO doesn't care about "fun jumpers" and refers to us as a roll oh nickles because that is all he makes on a fun jumper out of a Caravan.

I left there (still go over there on occassion) and now jump at a closer, smaller, Cessna dz and love every minute of it.

A turbine isn't everything.

im from florida and yah i realize this, the dz only has the caravan for the winter, then back to the 182. oh yeah they dont do outside video either, handcam only. i see everyones points on the "extra slots" after all the tandems are on the plane, i guess ill just have to look around and jump with the friends. thanks everyone! blues
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

So if he really believes that "roll o nickles" crap, he's an idiot.

Clearly you've never met Bob.

That was the first place I thought of too. One of my friends went down there and paid $28 to jump our old 182, after much begging to even be allowed to jump.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I'm curious, what is it specifically that makes a DZ a tandem factory?

I'm interested in specifics, not vague emotional notions like "The DZO doesn't care about us."

What exactly is done to make the place unlikeable for fun jumpers?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I'm interested in specifics, not vague emotional notions like "The DZO doesn't care about us."

In the case of a certaion dz in southern Indiana they send out emails telling the fun jumpers to stay home because the planes are full of tandems, all 3 days of a 3 day weekend. That's pretty much the extreme end though. Most of the time a tandem mill will cut fun jumper loads to send tandems first. I've been on a load that got told to exit at 6,500 because they needed to send one more tandem before dark, we only got charged to go to 6,000 though. You're probably at a tandem mill when you can't jump with a friend because there's only one slot left after the tandem with video, all day long. Or how about when they send two tandems on each load, then tell the fun jumpers they can't go because the plane needs to be on the ground when they're done packing the tandems.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

In the case of a certaion dz in southern Indiana they send out emails telling the fun jumpers to stay home because the planes are full of tandems, all 3 days of a 3 day weekend. That's pretty much the extreme end though. Most of the time a tandem mill will cut fun jumper loads to send tandems first. I've been on a load that got told to exit at 6,500 because they needed to send one more tandem before dark, we only got charged to go to 6,000 though. You're probably at a tandem mill when you can't jump with a friend because there's only one slot left after the tandem with video, all day long. Or how about when they send two tandems on each load, then tell the fun jumpers they can't go because the plane needs to be on the ground when they're done packing the tandems.

You are right on Chris. It is sad because that particular dz was my home dz for so many years. Last summer I spent the day there at a "boogie" where I made as many jumps as I could get on. Yeah, I got on TWO loads that day... and yes I paid a boogie registration fee.

I am happy at my little Cessna dz getting in 10 jumps in a day. Granted we can only get in 4 way RW formations... except when we organize a 2 plane shot and do 8 way stuff. It is fun an awesome and a treat. It reminds me of when I first started in this sport...
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I