agentsmith413

why does it seem that...

Here's my 2 cents:

Maybe it's b/c skydiving is found in rural areas and the majority of black populations are found in urban areas. A huge generalization I know, and not everyone who skydives lives in a rural area.

Also, people of similar races, cultures tend to flock to similar activities. It's not just skydiving. Chances are you won't see Pakistanis at the rodeo, nor would you see a redneck playing cricket.

Again, only my 2 cents.

I disagree.
Skydiving is mostly done in rural areas so that you can out from underneath the air traffic control zones of airports serving major cities.
However, the vast majority of skydivers are urbanites living in major cities.
Fore example, over the last two decades I have worked at a variety of DZs, they varied from 50 to 100 minutes from downtown.

I said this last time somebody asked this question. If you were black, would you really join a sport that likes to state, "Blue Skies, Black Death?"

Ouch. Good point! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I heard Chris Rock give an explanation for this before. To clarify, I am just paraphrasing Chris Rock, this is not my opinion. I couldn't find it anywhere but it went something like this... For Black people, life is scary enough. Just driving around without getting pulled over is risky. Walking down the street without getting shot at is an accomplishment. White people need extreme sports to get the same thrill from life that black people get everyday just because they are black.
Like I said, I couldn't find the bit online but I did find this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

I said this last time somebody asked this question. If you were black, would you really join a sport that likes to state, "Blue Skies, Black Death?"

Well, that's just BS.

Its a joke, relax home boy.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Imagine that!
Being white and coming to a drop zone where everybody are black folks.
Even the planes are black!
And they are having a lots of fun and they accept you like a brother and after you all drink black beer together!

That would be real Jimi Hendrix experience
What goes around, comes later.

Well, that's just BS.

Really?
Did you grow up in the North were they think all of the blacks problems are cause of the EVIL white man? Educate yourself!:S

To the OP, I asked one of my black Whuffo friends to come make a jump. His response was "You white people are dumb, aint no brother dumb enough to do that" Me and a black jumper got a great laugh out of this!
:D:D:D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Not a lot of South Asians or East Asians either.

if you are missing out, I'll jump with you LOL ...

PS: not only am I south asian I am Canadian too B|

We see a LOT of south Asians doing tandems at Skydive Chicago.

thats cause there's tonnes of brown folk in Chi town lol ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

Oh, and I just remembered that Wesley Snipes skydives. He is so good he even made a movie of some sort

The closest Wesley Snipes came to skydiving was his pathetic performance on an open air wind tunnel. All of the actual skydiving shots were done with a double. I am at a loss for his name and do not recognize it on the imdb credits for Drop Zone.

I did have the oportunity to share many plane rides with him, over sunny Eloy, AZ, in the early 90's.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

...Very few black people skydive? I have several black friends and every one of them say they wouldn't skydive. Watch YouTube videos and you rarely, if ever, see black people in the videos jumping.

Now, to be clear here, I am in no way racist nor do I think negatively about black people. It's just something I've recently observed.

Your thoughts please...

Love how someone mentioned how blacks might have an increased perception of danger, haha. That is definitely a stereotype manifested by movies.

I don't think we need to psychoanalyze this one. People like to stick with what they know. A large majority of skydivers are white. Until more and more blacks participate, what black guy would want to be the only black guy on the DZ? While not a big deal, that person would probably enjoy, say, basketball because there are more black people participating.

How would you feel if you went to a dropzone...and everyone was black? would probably feel a little uncomfortable with where you fit in and not feel like you culturally had much in common with the people.

Oh, and I just remembered that Wesley Snipes skydives. He is so good he even made a movie of some sort

The closest Wesley Snipes came to skydiving was his pathetic performance on an open air wind tunnel. All of the actual skydiving shots were done with a double. I am at a loss for his name and do not recognize it on the imdb credits for Drop Zone.

I did have the oportunity to share many plane rides with him, over sunny Eloy, AZ, in the early 90's.

You do realise that was a joke, right?

Anyway, I just remembered one more black dude with skydiving movie. Dennis Rodman in some other shit-poor film with I think Van Damme...
dudeist skydiver #42

...Very few black people skydive? I have several black friends and every one of them say they wouldn't skydive. Watch YouTube videos and you rarely, if ever, see black people in the videos jumping.

Now, to be clear here, I am in no way racist nor do I think negatively about black people. It's just something I've recently observed.

Your thoughts please...

One of the SEXYESY women i have ever met is an African american Jumper:)There's also a few here on Dizzy

Hi Loryn:$:$
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't think we need to psychoanalyze this one. People like to stick with what they know. A large majority of skydivers are white.

Sure, people to some extent like to be among others with similar values, culture, whatever, and be involved in activities that similar people do.

That might explain people (of any kind) dropping out of the sport as a junior jumper, or part way through being a student, if they don't like the vibe around the DZ.

But it's not like all the black kids played basketball and all the white kids in the neighbourhood hung out at the DZ.

And ethnic stats are not posted on DZ websites when people are researching whether to skydive.

I still believe some groups are less likely to think "I've always wanted to try skydiving".

It isn't that they get to the DZ, do one tandem, and then give up their dream to fly because they all of a sudden realize they are some kind of minority.

SCR 312.
If you read his name, there's no asterick behind it. He's probably not in any history book.
He was jumpin' before most of you were shittin yellow.
If I could figure out how to post a picture. You tell me which person he was in free fall.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316