Prior23

Scott Lutz Email

I know this is a pretty old topic but I had watched the video again after learning a bit more about jumping as I progress through my AFF, and I really got ticked off for a moment after realizing he blamed the whole thing on his JM's and gave skydiving a bad rap so I decided to email him. This is what I said and his response...

Why in the world did you pull your cutaway handle instead of your pilot chute while skydiving and then steer your reserve into power lines instead away, when you had plenty of time to do so. Do you not pay attention.

Stop blaming other people for your ignorant mistakes and giving skydiving such a bad name, it's no ones fault but your own.

This is what he had to say in response, the same day.

Fuck you ignorant jerk

I didn't reply back because I'm sure he gets enough shit already, I just had to see what this putz lutz would say. Just thought this was amusing so I figured I'd share it! :P
B.A.S.E. #1734

Interesting that you managed to get his e-mail address, but whatever. Yes, he was wrong (back then), but that occurred in 2006. Why should he still be harassed, 4 years after the incident, by every random dickhead who feels like getting in his face? Assuming this exchange actually occurred, you had the response coming.

+1

Although I still get pissed at the video and announcer every time I see it in re-runs and "extreme" video shows.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Future cars will all have black boxes to protect the manufacturers.

They do and have for quite some time. Pulling the chip in a car after an accident that activates the airbags is a quick way to find out how fast the car was going, were the seatbelts on, if the brakes had been pressed and many other things.

Its been like this since the 90s.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Interesting that you managed to get his e-mail address, but whatever. Yes, he was wrong (back then), but that occurred in 2006. Why should he still be harassed, 4 years after the incident, by every random dickhead who feels like getting in his face? Assuming this exchange actually occurred, you had the response coming.

Well, he keeps shoving this incident back into the public.

Every time a new "video clip" show comes out, he's right there, showing his video and giving commentary.
And continuing to deny any resposnibility for it.

RealTV, Max X, and most recently, Discovery Channel's "World's Worst Vacation Videos" (Or something like that)

If he wants it to go away, maybe he should quit making money off of it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Every time a new "video clip" show comes out, he's right there, showing his video and giving commentary.
And continuing to deny any responsibility for it.

RealTV, Max X, and most recently, Discovery Channel's "World's Worst Vacation Videos" (Or something like that)

In fairness, I might be willing to adjust my feelings about the OP if Lutz was still making a dishonest issue out of it in recent times. Can you show us how recently he's done that?

i kind of find it funny, a new skydiver sends scott lutz and email about how dumb he was 14yrs ago. LOL!!!! awesome :). i say we publicize the email and have everyone on DZ.com sned hima love letter wishing him well :).
IHYD

And continuing to deny any responsibility for it.

In fairness, I might be willing to adjust my feelings about the OP if Lutz was still making a dishonest issue out of it in recent times. Can you show us how recently he's done that?

Show it? No, I can't find it.

But it was on Spike TV's "Max X" back in 05 or 06.

And I saw it (complete with interview) last summer on TruTV (not Discovery, my mistake) on the World's Worst Vacation Videos show.

I don't know when the interview was done, but he looked fairly old.
And even if it was an older interview, I think he still has to give permission and gets paid for it to be used in a new show (I could be wrong on that though).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

I don't know when the interview was done, but he looked fairly old.
And even if it was an older interview, I think he still has to give permission and gets paid for it to be used in a new show (I could be wrong on that though).

Permission certainly. Payment not so certain. Depends a lot on weather they could get him for free or if they cared if they got him at all.

Permission certainly.

Why certainly? I would think it depends on whatever agreement he made when he provided the video in the first place. I think it's far from certain and that he probably waived any rights he has a long time ago.

The beer's on me if you can show any proof that he's notified when someone replays that vid.

Edit to add an attachment. Here's one of the releases ABC has people sign when they submit a video to America's Funniest Home Videos. I don't know if Lutz made a similar agreement but I wouldn't be surprised if he did and I think it's a stretch to say that he certainly didn't.

http://a.abc.com/media/primetime/afv/forms/AFHV_Exclusive_Release_11-20-09.pdf
Owned by Remi #?

....or a Bowling Ball!

He'll just drop it on his foot, break a toe, and sue you. Sorry, but this guy should take up cribbage.

Bad idea.

Paper cuts from the cards and you can put an eye out with those little pegs!:)

Seriously, I think there is a difference between the release you sign for sending in a Video to America's Funniest Home Videos and being interviewed by a clip show.
I could be wrong, maybe if all the shows were produced by the same company, and the interview was from a while back, and the release he signed back then gave all the rights away for the future.
From the little I can find, the producers for the two shows are different.

IIRC, though (and I admit my memory might be wrong) the interview from Max X and the one from World's Worst were different.