cocheese

Reasons for an AAD other than yourself.

For every death in this sport, it gives us all a bad name.:S

If I knock you out in freefall and you die, I'm going to feel like shit for the rest of my life.:|

If you knock me out in freefall and i die, you're going feel guilty and my mom is going to be pissed.>:(:(

Lawsuits suck for everyone. Could ruin a good dz.>:(

Gear that burns in isn't as safe to reuse.:P

You could kill someone else on the ground.>:(

People who bounce can make an ugly mess for many to clean up.

An activated AAD tells your freefly partner to pull!B|

Can you think of more reasons to have one for the sake of others?

Lawsuits suck for everyone. Could ruin a good dz.>:(

Just ask Bill Dause whether AADs help to prevent lawsuits. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

When people die, families and some attorney will want to sue.

Here is another reason i thought of:

Guy gets knocked out and is flailing. ... 3 guys go low trying to save him. One guy has a high speed mal after pulling the flailer's chute and dies.[:/]
hero? yes Dead? yes.

I don't mind spending some extra dough on something that could end up saving my life.

'
Just be sure to read the manual so you know the ways it could end up killing you and the ways it won't do a damn thing for you before you turn it on.

Back on topic -

Your boss will never forgive you if you go in on the Sunday before that big project is due.

Not dying keeps the whuffos from making inane comments on news websites.

My wife has excessive faith in my AAD. I don't tell her otherwise. This faith makes her worry less, which is good for both of us.

I once had a teammate who said "I don't have an AAD. So if I'm ever knocked out in freefall, please pull for me." Kinda unfair to us teammates.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Good one.

Yes peace of mind for our loved ones. Also peace of mind for me.

Here is another one: Ya know how when someone with 1000s of jumps dies and a few people decide to quit the sport shortly after? That bums me out. One guy dies and 20 people around the world decide to quit. Damn it!

Ya know how when someone with 1000s of jumps dies and a few people decide to quit the sport shortly after? That bums me out. One guy dies and 20 people around the world decide to quit. Damn it!

IIRC not many of those guys have died recently in situations where an AAD would have saved them... :P

I once had a teammate who said "I don't have an AAD. So if I'm ever knocked out in freefall, please pull for me." Kinda unfair to us teammates.

Yeah, and good luck with that. I've never been in this situation, but I have a feeling Hollywood makes it look rather easier than it actually is. I hope s/he was planning on getting knocked out nice and high up, because you've no friends below three thousand feet!:)

I got married and my wife said
Rule #1 I had to have one.

Bought a second rig and the wife said see rule number 1

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Good one.

Yes peace of mind for our loved ones. Also peace of mind for me.

Here is another one: Ya know how when someone with 1000s of jumps dies and a few people decide to quit the sport shortly after? That bums me out. One guy dies and 20 people around the world decide to quit. Damn it!

Hard landings kill more than accidents which an AAD might have prevented. What about the guy who bounces on a landing and causes others to quite.

As for hitting others on the ground, than lets ban flying over populated areas due to the unlikely risk of hitting someone. Or just put a big reserve with an AAD on an airplane. If an airplane pilot has to bail out, than the plane is out of control, just like an unconcious skydiver. Is this not the same?

I told my friends that if i'm ever knocked out, help would be appreciated, but I would be pissed if they got hurt or died trying to suck it low to save my non AAD wearing ass. Saving your own life has to be priority when the shit hits the fan and your sucking it down at a high rate of speed between 3000 and 1000 feet chasing someone that was knocked out. At some point you would just have to bite your lip, pull and let them keep going[:/], and I would not blame any for not trying.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

So the AAD manufactures kids have lots of $$$ for drugs and fast cars? :$

But what if...they get all wasted and zoom around crazy and T-bone a bus full of Nuns & Orphans pushing it over a cliff so it explodes and lands on football stadium full of people watchin' the Superbowl...:)

Hey, could be by not having one...I'M SAVIN' LIVES HERE! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So the AAD manufactures kids have lots of $$$ for drugs and fast cars? :$

But what if...they get all wasted and zoom around crazy and T-bone a bus full of Nuns & Orphans pushing it over a cliff so it explodes and lands on football stadium full of people watchin' the Superbowl...:)

Hey, could be by not having one...I'M SAVIN' LIVES HERE! B|

:D

That is probably only a little less likely as skydiver falling from the sky and killing one or more people. It is possible but unlikely.

Man i just got my A license, That guy over there with all the jumps and really knows his stuff, Hell he says he don't need an AAD. I'm buying a rig and cant really afford one with an AAD. I can always pick one up later but for now I can jump without one. My mentor does. He wouldn't do anything that would get me into trouble. He's so cool...

Now first off I have common sense and the above is just a scenario I bet is not far from some true life shit. I can also imagen the one sporting no AAD's to be the one scoffing at the kid burning in because of something stupid someone put in his mind.. I believe the higher your rating, the more responsibility you carry for the ones beginning in this sport. If you have an argument against AAD's then keep it to your self and don't plant deadly seeds in the minds of amatures before they get the chance to figure things out for themselves.. I also have a lot of respect for every advancement in safety and the ones that teach it. Some of us just don't have the skills yet to be able to arch locate and throe unconscious, Sure Shit happens and when it's your time it's your time. Only Carma will determine if it's a sad thing or a stupid mistake..
I am fortunate enough to jump at a DZ that requires an AAD.
Just my opinion. but what do I know? 28 jumps and counting..
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

Man i just got my A license, That guy over there with all the jumps and really knows his stuff, Hell he says he don't need an AAD. I'm buying a rig and cant really afford one with an AAD. I can always pick one up later but for now I can jump without one. My mentor does. He wouldn't do anything that would get me into trouble. He's so cool...

Now first off I have common sense and the above is just a scenario I bet is not far from some true life shit. I can also imagen the one sporting no AAD's to be the one scoffing at the kid burning in because of something stupid someone put in his mind.. I believe the higher your rating, the more responsibility you carry for the ones beginning in this sport. If you have an argument against AAD's then keep it to your self and don't plant deadly seeds in the minds of amatures before they get the chance to figure things out for themselves.. I also have a lot of respect for every advancement in safety and the ones that teach it. Some of us just don't have the skills yet to be able to arch locate and throe unconscious, Sure Shit happens and when it's your time it's your time. Only Carma will determine if it's a sad thing or a stupid mistake..
I am fortunate enough to jump at a DZ that requires an AAD.
Just my opinion. but what do I know? 28 jumps and counting..

Also goes for the swoop master instructor. Hey if he can land like that, then I want to try it.

The Crw dog instrutor: Hey if he can take a down plane that low, I want to try it.

The wingsuit instructor: Hey those squirrel suits looks fun, I want to do that.
The camera flyer / instructor: Hey I want to film my jumps too.

The instructor who jumps helmetless on fun jumps and Crw jumps: Hey who need a stupid helmet, I'm not buying one.

The instructor should let it be known the dangers of the choices in gear and disciplines. That same instructor would probably tell you its a good idea to wear one. If I were an instructor I would tell my student that its a good idea to get you one and that s/he will be safer in doing so, but will not crutinize them if the DECIDE not to get one.

*Emphasis on "decide" because it is just a choice after a certain point.

Its funny - I have the same concepts but in a different manner. I own like 8 rigs and can't afford $10,000 in AADs and just don't have any. I could put one in one rig or something, but I jump all of them on a busy day..

But I do always try to be a good example when it comes to canopy flying. Many (heck maybe most) AFF instructors give all these talks about flying patterns and 90 turns and stuff, and their students see them go up and pull off a 720 hook to swoop the pond. It gives the impression that landing patterns are for rookies.

I'd rather have one of my students emulate me and not have an AAD but never start swooping, than have an AAD and start swooping. (A hundred jumps down the road.) Swooping is way more likely to hurt or kill them...

I absolutely think AADs are good things and recommend them to students. But I think canopy discipline is far more important in keeping them alive.