shah269

First jump after tib fib FUBAR

i bet your canopy was just fine.. that is, if you flare it properly..

You may be right but if you monitor his posts in the last year:

Known Facts
(assuming what I read previously are accurate)

- shah269 jumped different two parachutes.
- 6 jumps under 265 of one model. ALL BAD LANDINGS. Then broken leg.
- 1 jump under 260 of a different model. Soft. PILLOW SOFT.
- the instructor test jumped the 265 and instructor had to PLF the landing even after taking wraps on the toggles.
- Heavy guy, meaning the flare-safety-margin is much smaller for many canopies, especially F111 and probably well-worn ZP. (shah269 would have to flare far more perfectly than an averge student to properly land a well worn canopy or out-of-trim canopy)

Therefore, in almost all likelihood, the 260 probably proved to have had a much bigger "safety margin" for shah269 as a student.

Historically for most students, it has proven true
-> if a student has always consistently had bad landings under several jumps of parachute A.
-> if a student has ZERO bad landings under parchute B (even if only 1 jump on parachute B)

THEN the conclusion is typically, at most reputable dropzones: Try to jump the student on Parachute B more often, if B is a suitable size (i.e. same size, appropriateness etc) It's pretty much a pretty much no-brainer to most instructors: Don't put the student on parachute A anymore, assuming the parachute B is 'appropriate' for the student too. It's just good ethics; and for liability reasons.

Yes, yes, eventually the student SHOULD ideally becomes good enough to land almost any parachute safely (if the instructor is very good at training the student to in flare techniques and quickly adapting to a new canopy, as well as training in very good PLF techniques). But the instructor would be making an unwise decision to let him ever jump the 265 again this so early in his progression; based on this known info. At jump #8, we don't want to be taking obviously known risks, given the known facts. And it's an additional red flag when I heard that the instructor had to PLF the 265 when test jumping that canopy shah269 broke his leg under.

Although shah269, normally you SHOULD NOT listen to dropzone.com, do not jump that exact same canopy (that 265 you broke your leg under). It's probably simply well worn (ZP or not), even if the trim on that specific one was fixed (if was out of trim), I do not think it is worth risking that exact same canopy again this early in your progression, since there may have been many factors (other than trim) such as wear.

To shah269: You are already verifying this as I can see, but probably I think the dropzone is probably going to make the right decisions, they're likely afraid about hurting you again, anyway. Typically, (1) verifying the line trim (you said they did), and (2) test jumping the canopy (they should), and (3) that it's still relatively new (i.e. only a scant few hundred jumps or less), (4) and that it's ZP. If all these criteria are met, you'll probably have a similiar experience as to your softer landing under the 260.

Here's your tip. Get off of DZ.com and go jump. Stop talking incessantly about what you're going to do and just do it. Stop posting and ask your instructors for advice.

Fucking AMEN.

Shah you're a pure attention whore, go jump already!
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

mdrejhon
Thank you for the information.
The old 265 is no more. I'll be jumping a 280.
I was about to leave the office for the DZ but was just informed it was too windy.
Again thank you
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

mdrejhon
Thank you for the information.
The old 265 is no more. I'll be jumping a 280.
I was about to leave the office for the DZ but was just informed it was too windy.
Again thank you

What's too windy? Did you ask what the winds were? Check out the thread in Instructors: "Have you ever turned a student away".
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

What's too windy? Did you ask what the winds were? Check out the thread in Instructors: "Have you ever turned a student away".

Well....I called up. Spoke to my instructor who i trust and he indicated that it was too windy at 15 mph on the ground and much higher at 5k ft and didn't want to chance it.
I trust him. He says it is too windy I beleive him.
I'll go sundy.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Well....I called up. Spoke to my instructor who i trust and he indicated that it was too windy at 15 mph on the ground and much higher at 5k ft and didn't want to chance it.
I'll go sundy.

if you took the advice to heart to stop whinning, the world would be a better place, too! :|

now go and start a couple other threads about it.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I'll go sundy.

if you took the advice to heart to stop whinning, the world would be a better place, too! :|

SOMEBODY needs a hug! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What did i say now?
She asked "What's too windy?"
And I said I spoke to my instructor and he indicated it was..........

So...just curious, HOW did you break your leg again? ;):ph34r::D:D>:(

I made some snide remark about a large womans mass.....she started chsing me down the runway and well you know how these big women are once they start building up momentum there is just no stopping them. And she rolled over my right leg. :P

I made some snide remark about a large womens mass.....she started chasing me down the runway and well you know how these big women are once they start building up momentum there is just no stopping them. And she rolled over my right leg. :P

Better watch what ya say...if she caught ya BEFORE ya broke yer leg, you're easy prey NOW!

I made some snide remark about a large womens mass.....she started chasing me down the runway and well you know how these big women are once they start building up momentum there is just no stopping them. And she rolled over my right leg. :P

Better watch what ya say...if she caught ya BEFORE ya broke yer leg, you're easy prey NOW!

if she only would of finished the job the first time! :P
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

if she only would of have finished the job the first time! :P

Oh, man! >:( Where did you learn English, in the States or what?? ;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

at least i speak a couple other languages too, kapiert!? :D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

at least i speak a couple other languages too, kapiert!? :D

So I guess yer sayin' you're Bi-ignorant? :ph34r::P

mdrejhon, I see you put a lot of energy into new commers. Good! It's good to see that! ... So, do you coach for free as well? B| It would be cool if you pay for the student jumps when you coach me ;)

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Funny how you are constantly slamming Shah, yet you add nothing of entertainment or value.[:/]
:ph34r:

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I'll go sundy.

and a dictionary to find out what the word hypocrite means:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'll go sundy.

and a dictionary to find out what the word hypocrite means:ph34r::ph34r:

if i tell you to look up the word i'm thinking off, it'll be called a PA.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

mdrejhon, I see you put a lot of energy into new commers. Good! It's good to see that! ... So, do you coach for free as well? B| It would be cool if you pay for the student jumps when you coach me ;)

Here in Canada, I'd likely easily pass the coach course at my current skills, but I need to jump with 25 new skydivers to work on the rating.

I'm trying to nail when I'll be getting the rating, and I am certianly not going to charge for coach jumps. But NOT for the tandem. ;)

The problem is I am a travelling jumper, have not visited any specific same dropzone more than two or three times a year, and I am not living at "home" at the moment either (sorta a temporary economy refugee to Montreal from Ottawa) -- makes it a little tougher, until I settle down at one dropzone. Keep tuned for 2010 or 2011, as I am now finally relocating to Toronto with my spouse...