jaffo

We need a permanent "I told you so" Thread in the incident forum

We need a permanent "I told you so" thread in the incidents forum.

It would list all the 100-300 jump wonders that fly canopies way to small for them. Especially the ones that have told the experts to mind their own business!!

You know, the people that think they are better than Germain or any of the other legitimate experts....Reminds me of the country song "Back when I knew it all"
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

It would list all the 100-300 jump wonders that fly canopies way to small for them. Especially the ones that have told the experts to mind their own business!!

You know, the people that think they are better than Germain or any of the other legitimate experts....Reminds me of the country song "Back when I knew it all"

Personally I think a separate bounce bingo grid..... with whoever guessing or getting closest to the actual date of death or femuring by any individual with MAD SKILLZ...is the winner.:S:S:S

If they just took themselves out its bad enough... but when they take out others too.. dayum[:/]

But the last time I posted a date it was removed by the mods

I just thought if we could actually show where these kids were told and then biffed, maybe the next kid would pay a little attention.

Or maybe one kid in 5 would...better than now...

Johnny, Not sure swooping is the problem, just egos...

Don, you are a "steely eyed missle man" You'll be around a long time!!!

I just thought if we could actually show where these kids were told and then biffed, maybe the next kid would pay a little attention.

Or maybe one kid in 5 would...better than now...

that would work if people identified themselves, but they don't.
people don't realize that they have the problem. the belief is that they have a stronger skill set than the person who injured themselves.

it is never easy to be patient with the 9 out of 10 who will not listen. but, if the 10th changes their mind and
saves themselves from an avoidable injury, it is worth
a little aggravation.

sometimes, the interesting part is not the person being replied to. it is the secondary people who merely read a thread and may not even be posting.

it is never easy to be patient with the 9 out of 10 who will not listen. but, if the 10th changes their mind and saves themselves from an avoidable injury, it is worth a little aggravation.

Agreed. Unfortunately, we never hear about, or from, that 1 person who did change their mind. It'd be nice to occassionally hear from those folks. ...and I kinda suspect that there might be more than we think.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

You know, the people that think they are better than Germain or any of the other legitimate experts....

This is not a new thing. People (low time and high time jumpers) have been doing stupid shit and not listening to advice of "legitimate experts" since skydiving began. I have heard enough stories from the old timers to know it's true. It's just that we now have the interwebs to know more of what is going on. Same shit, different day.

Nah, they will not understand it until it's too late.

I meet these guys at my home DZ who want to go jump mountains and go on about how they feel ready, after all they have like 63 skydives and have MAD SKILLZ! The truth is that they are scary in the air and can't track.

And those people who get a Katana 135 wingloaded at 1.5 at 200 jumps? There's a reason there's wingload recommendations, and that some countries' parachute organizations have rules that regulate wingloadings.

He has a very good chance of surviving with his current choice canopy, but he's increasing the risk a lot, much like that 63 jump wonder who jumps off a bridge. Both swooping and BASE jumping are risky activities, but there are ways of significantly reducing the risk, so they can keep doing it.

And there is no use arguing with people like that, you can't get through. As they say: "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down on their level and beat you with experience!"

Interesting thing that I discovered about skydiving: I feel that the part of the jump that I've improved most in my close to 500 jumps is the canopy part. I'm not saying that I'm a great canopy pilot, just that experience pays off for everyone.

What's with those people who don't get the recommended jump numbers to jump a canopy, wingloading or object? did they spend all their money on gear so they can't afford to jump?

:S

OK, end of rant. That felt good.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

let them swoop, who gives a shit....until USPA mandates wingloadings or something, people will continue to do it and and stubborn fuckers wont care who tells them what

Education is the answer not regulation. And if some don't want to learn its their life and their choice. Ever heard of this word called freedom? Its pretty cool!

Education is the answer not regulation. And if some don't want to learn its their life and their choice. Ever heard of this word called freedom? Its pretty cool!

Maybe some people would like to regulate, because every incident involving an idiot burning in on a too small canopy creates bad publicity that we don't need, and regulating this would not stop us ordinary skydivers from enjoying the sport. After all, flying Katanas wingloaded at 1.5:1 at 200 jumps is a very marginal activity.

And we can't just look away either, because when it happens, someone has to deal with it.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I sometimes point them to the thread where people were urging our fellow poster Ted Nelson ("tcnelson" on here) not to jump his high-performance canopy because he wasn't ready for it yet, and he would stubbornly reply that he had particularly good skills, so he could handle it. While that thread was in full swing, Ted suffered a fatally-hard landing under that canopy, whereupon the discussion shifted over to his Incident thread. Sobering reading, and I say this with all due respect to Ted and his loved ones, but maybe it should have been made a sticky for successive groups of new jumpers to read and heed.

I last mentioned it in November, 2009:

Read this, and follow the links, if you've got the patience

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3651327;search_string=nelson;#3651327

Remember when Ted Nelson was downsizing rapidly and landing aggressively; people were trying to get him to upsize and slow down; he was assuring everyone that he would be OK; and then, sadly, he was killed while landing his canopy?

Here's the thread in which Ted and other jumpers were having the debate in 2004. In 2006, it was resurrected when Ted initially was critically injured, and then tragically died of his injuries a few days later:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1106024#1106024

Here's the Incident thread reporting Ted's tragic landing, critical injury and death:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2347085#2347085

that would work if people identified themselves, but they don't.
people don't realize that they have the problem. the belief is that they have a stronger skill set than the person who injured themselves.

"I see dead people. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I remember when I first transferred into the high performance realm. I underwent a fairly rapid downsize through several demos and onto a x-brace. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However, 12-18 months of nothing but hop and pops and canopy training got me to my competition goal.
One of the biggest challenges I found re-integrating myself into regular jumping under a HP canopy is just how much faster we fly than normal parachutes. I fondly remember discussing it with Germain one day and his response was "that's why we have these wonderful things called brakes, to slow it all down."
Sure, johnny newguy can fly his pattern under his new pocket rocket on a few hop and pops, but then can be easily surprised when there are other faster/slower moving targets headed to the same place. They would be wise to take heed to the experienced HP pilots flying their patterns-and they will notice the canopies being flown in half+ brakes, to slow down, give more time to think and evaluate the 3D puzzle unfolding in front of and behind them.

I really don't know my point here, other than the incompatibility of HP canopies in normal traffic without the developed experience of how to make them all fly together nicely.

let them swoop, who gives a shit....until USPA mandates wingloadings or something, people will continue to do it and and stubborn fuckers wont care who tells them what

The problem with freedom at the DZ is that it sometimes ends up killing the innocent. And some one has to come out and mop up the mess.

What about all the 1,000 + jump people who hook themselves in?

There are lots of them but nobody says they were under the wrong wing.

Perhaps it is not such a good feeling to gloat about a more experienced jumper fucking up
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

What about all the 1,000 + jump people who hook themselves in?

There are lots of them but nobody says they were under the wrong wing.

Perhaps it is not such a good feeling to gloat about a more experienced jumper fucking up

Good point. I have stated here before...
"Some of the dumbest shit I have ever seen at a drop zone was done by 1,000+ jump wonders".

it is never easy to be patient with the 9 out of 10 who will not listen. but, if the 10th changes their mind and saves themselves from an avoidable injury, it is worth a little aggravation.

Agreed. Unfortunately, we never hear about, or from, that 1 person who did change their mind. It'd be nice to occassionally hear from those folks. ...and I kinda suspect that there might be more than we think.

in person, they talk to me.

i have a safety-nazi briefing that everyone suffers through, but people have come up later and said, "i never thought of that - thanks".

the key is - don't spend 500 jumps learning the problems. just listen and consider.