ssmirigl

Is this Legal****

Does anyone have a link to concerte laws govering skydiving? If i were to jump out of my friends plane and land in my yar is this legal? Granted the pilot needs to make sure flying is legal but i cant seem to find any information regarding the legality of the actualy jump. Ive heard you just need permission from th epilot that you jump with and the owner of the land that you use to land. But this is hear say and i need some concerte info

Discussed over and over.

Last Time it was brought up

Search "Bandit Jumps" for more.

Short answer: Yes. File the NOTAM and permission from the landowner. Read AC105 for more.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Two weeks ago, as a self-described new jumper, you asked for gear help here, and now you're asking for advice on bandit jumps.

I hope you're under somebody's wing.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Relax, John. I know the difference between off DZ jumps and bandit jumps, having made many of both sorts.

For simplicity in my post, I chose to say "bandit". I think the context is easily understood.

Funny that you've managed to completey ignore the substance of my comments.

I think you'll find it more comfortable to keep those knickers untwisted. ;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Two weeks ago I arrived home and turned my computer and police scanner on. As I was just getting ready to log on to Dropzone.com, a dispatcher was alerting the officer of a "RP", (reporting Person) that had just called in to report a skydiver that was landing in a field by her residence. I continued to listen for the outcome but heard nothing more other than the officer was going to visit the location. Why was this woman calling to report? Maybe he had a huge rifle with him, who knows? Even though you may be following all of the rules, don't think that the cops won't show up due to a witness reporting it to 911.
I live in Bellingham, WA and I hope the jumper got away without too much harassment, if any.

Two weeks ago I arrived home and turned my computer and police scanner on. As I was just getting ready to log on to Dropzone.com, a dispatcher was alerting the officer of a "RP", (reporting Person) that had just called in to report a skydiver that was landing in a field by her residence. I continued to listen for the outcome but heard nothing more other than the officer was going to visit the location. Why was this woman calling to report? Maybe he had a huge rifle with him, who knows? Even though you may be following all of the rules, don't think that the cops won't show up due to a witness reporting it to 911.
I live in Bellingham, WA and I hope the jumper got away without too much harassment, if any.

I (we) have done numerous bandit jumps, with NOTAM (and some without:).

We called the cops in the city we were landing in, and gave them a heads up. No issues.

last year we landed on a golf course (off season), and a sheriff pulled in as our chase vehicle was driving us out. He said someone called in a report of a glider going down. We explained the situation, he wished us luck, and that was it.

so cops are no problem, unless you are blatantly breaking the law and/or are acting like a dumbass.

Nobody has mentioned jump numbers and experience yet. Besides all the rules to follow (NOTAM, land owners permission, Certificate of Authorization if required, etc.) you need to have the necessary experience to jump into your yard. Is your home way out in the country side or in a big urban area? How big is the yard? How many jumps do you have?

Oops, I’m falling into the trap! Just read through the link someone was nice enough to post earlier with the previous discussions on this topic.

Whatever you do, don’t make the news!

bandit jumps.

The word "bandit" implies something illegal. It is NOT illegal to make jumps away from established drop zones. You should not be using that word here.

I have always heard off DZ jumps that weren't waivered demos called "Bandit Jumps". I don't know why, that's just what everyone I jump with calls them.

I've done a few and been part of a few more.

All were done 100% legal. The pilots weren't willing to fly them otherwise.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As long as the FAA says it's ok. Nevermind what the USPA says, just abide by the FAA and you'll be fine.

Because everything allowed by the FAA is perfectly safe including doing your first jump at night solo over the ocean.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As long as the FAA says it's ok. Nevermind what the USPA says, just abide by the FAA and you'll be fine.

Because everything allowed by the FAA is perfectly safe including doing your first jump at night solo over the ocean.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You should let your hair down occasionally.

Does anyone have a link to concerte laws govering skydiving?

In New Jersey, where I live, the State regulations go well beyond both FAA and USPA rules. It is possible in NJ to make a jump in accordance with FAA and USPA "rules" and to be violating state rules.

I would google for "parachute rules" or "regulations" or "laws" or something similar along with the jumper's state.

Google is your friend.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

In a wingsuit with a camera on your head, foot, chest. And smoke. Can't forget the smoke.
And a buddy to take video. He should be at least as experienced as you on your first.:)