huka551

Lesson learned!

I recently started packing form myself, and the experienced jumpers watching suggested that I stow the excess brake lines in the keepers. My Keepers are velcro and I don't want my lines to get any more fuzzy then they already are (by the way only made 6 jumps on this rig, since I bought it). So I left the excess hanging...made a jump and went to release my brakes and the excess that I didn't stow, got wrapped around my pinky. I had end cell closure on the left so I was steadily turning and couldn't get my right toggle off my pinky to flare (in retrospect I could have used the risers), I turned and struggled with my pinky loosing circulation, until after 500-800 ft later I got it unstuck. First minorly freightening canopy situation, so lesson learned stow the excess, and listen to the ppl who know and are saying it for a reason!

Muff Brother 3723

Had that happen before - simply look at the toggles before you put your hands in them - bet it won't happen again ;)

Or you can do what I just had done - have keepers put on the back of the riser for the excess.

Jen
Arianna Frances

sometimes i'm in a rush and don't stow mine but I always look and make sure when i grab my toggles that none of the line is around my fingers or hand...

In skydiving, being is such a rush that you leave steps out of your packing is not smart. It will come back and bite you in the butt at the worst possible time. How much time are you saving, 30 sec. to a minute?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had something similar happen a few weeks ago, except the only reason I could not get it untangled was because my hands were so cold I couldnt get the fingers to move how I needed to to untangle myself. I could see exactly how I was tangled, and managed to eventually untangle it. I always stow my excess break line, but it sometimes comes unstowed on opening.

To prevent it happening again is simple, look at your toggles before you attempt to unstow the breaks! You can bet I also wont be making that mistake again!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

As others have said... Look as you grab, because I "been there, done that" too... I think everyone I know has had it happen once (or twice like me:)
Since so many people have experienced it.... It reminds me of what the boat dealer told my dad when he purchased his boat about the drain plug. "And this is how you put the plug in after you forget and the boat is taking on water... And you will forget once and only once." Damn that water was cold in the middle of winter when I had to jump in.:$

Here is something I have found... Twice I got the line around my fingers... About 20 times my canopy brake line loops got stuck on the toggle tabs (defective toggle replaced by manufacture)...

What I learned... Letting go of the toggle in the "good" hand will make the canopy go into a turn/spiral, but using two hands will fix the problem real quickly whereas one hand will not... Keeping the good hand toggle in hand is an option too, but bringing it up to fix the problem still results in a turn.

Oh, and a thread about six months ago discussed what would happen if you chopped while the line was around your finger. None of the predictions were pretty.:P

Oh, and a thread about six months ago discussed what would happen if you chopped while the line was around your finger. None of the predictions were pretty.

I executed a Gunslinger cutaway with a steering line looped past my ring finger and the base of my thumb. It was hooked badly enough on my altimeter that I couldn't get free, and I was not interested in how much time I had left to screw with it.

I managed to keep from losing my finger, but it did take some years before I could feel with it again.

Blue skies,

Winsor

went to release my brakes and the excess that I didn't stow, got wrapped around my pinky.

Next time around, try reaching over with your other hand, grab the offending line above your trapped pinky, and pull down on it to relieve the tension on your pinky. That will usually make it loose enough that you will be able to pull your finger out.

Some times this odd happening occurs even with the excess line properly stowed. Rare, but it can still happen.

My Keepers are velcro and I don't want my lines to get any more fuzzy then they already are (by the way only made 6 jumps on this rig, since I bought it).

If you're worried about the velcro eating away the excess brake line, try attaching a rubber band at the top of the riser and stowing the excess in the rubber band.

I've had that happen when wearing gloves, a couple times... Unfortionately I dont have keepers on my risers at all... Thinking I might have my rigger put some on next time I have to give my rig to him :ph34r: (as well as those "hold the slider down riser things")

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

sometimes i'm in a rush and don't stow mine but I always look and make sure when i grab my toggles that none of the line is around my fingers or hand...

Your packing proceedure should be a routine that never varies. Consistency breeds excellence. Excellence is crutial in this sport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!