HoldtheIce

Jump on Kauai?

Sup!

I’ll be on Kauai, Hawaii in December. I’m thinking this is a MUST JUMP opportunity. Found 1 DZ on Kauai so I shot them an Email. The dude replies the next day, but said they only do Tandems and don’t jump licensed jumpers. :(

What’s up with that?

Blue Skies All !!!
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

Sup!

I’ll be on Kauai, Hawaii in December. I’m thinking this is a MUST JUMP opportunity. Found 1 DZ on Kauai so I shot them an Email. The dude replies the next day, but said they only do Tandems and don’t jump licensed jumpers. :(

What’s up with that?

Blue Skies All !!!

That's the way it is sometimes especially in tourist destinations. Look at Las Vegas. Another example... You show up wanting to jump and they will laugh at you.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sup!

What’s up with that?

Blue Skies All !!!

Yep. I was there in 2008 and got the same answer. Go hike the kalalau trail instead.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My buddy is a trail guide for that trail, he says its pretty cool, never been there though. www.skydivehawaii.com shows that they let experienced jumpers jump, dont know how expensive or hard it is to island hop though.
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

Kauai is awesome, and you don't need to skydive to enjoy it. If nothing else, the weather might not cooperate.

Kalalau trail is great (although if you want to hike all the way you have to get a permit ahead of time); hiking in Waimea canyon is fabulous, Polihale State Park is great, and a boat trip around the Napali coast is also totally worth it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I used to take my rig, and get in a few jumps, when I went back to my home state to visit. I haven't taken it on a trip, other than to a skydiving event, for the last 28 years. There are other things to do and see, especially somewhere like Kauai, not to mention the hassle of lugging gear.

http://birdsinparadise.com/

Check these out. I went last winter and it was awesome. They are based out of the same airport as Skydive Kauai. Real professionals and something a little different. I would give them my highest recommendation. Ask to fly with Tracy.

DUDE! that is exactly what I'm thinking. It's funny you recommended that. Great minds think alike I guess. We made reservations for a Powered Hang Glider tour today, only with another outfit.

Here is where we are going... http://www.bigskykauai.com/

I (we, the wife and I) can't wait. Looks like a lot of fun, especially when they let us take the controls and fly.

Thanks everyone for the great info and the tips.

~Mike
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

I checked the USPA web site and did NOT find Skydive Kauai listed. That is a good thing.

In my opinion, no USPA Group Member drop zone should be allowed to continue to be a GM DZ if they do not allow licensed, current USPA members to jump. They use our organization to promote themselves, then exclude us? That is completely wrong.

That dropzone has a fairly narrow landing area between a salt pond and the Pacific ocean. If the wind was light, you wouldn't have any trouble hitting it. The wind is not usually light. Whatever you decide to do on Kauai, you're not likely to be disappointed.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I spent a week on Kauai paragliding and speed flying, awesome place but I prefer Maui and Oahu. While there I packed my BASE gear slider up 4 times and once slider down. I only did one BASE jump. The Heli tour Pilots can be pretty cool if you know how to ask. B|

no USPA Group Member drop zone should be allowed to continue to be a GM DZ if they do not allow licensed, current USPA members to jump.

Pravdachutist profiled the owner of Ocean City (MD) Skydiving Center. I don't think USPA cares.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Matt,

Where did you paraglide on Kauai? I'll be on one of the islands next year, bringing only paraglider & possibly speedwing, not BASE or skydive. Leaning towards Kauai, second choice big island (haven't been there).
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Sup!

What’s up with that?

Blue Skies All !!!

I believe that is Dave Timko's (sp?) place...things might have been different if you had a D...that A would make me nervuos too, the landing area is too close to the ocean..

Matt,

Where did you paraglide on Kauai? I'll be on one of the islands next year, bringing only paraglider & possibly speedwing, not BASE or skydive. Leaning towards Kauai, second choice big island (haven't been there).

super sparse. The island is unforgiving in wind conditions. Above Wailua golf course there is a "PG launch", I was able to speed soar it also. It's kinda difficult to get up to though. I think that one is trespassing but no one said anything to me. everything else is pioneering launches. I would advise against the NW shoreB|, but if you can deal with 2000$ fines and gear confiscation, there is nothing better in the world. and the wind works there about twice a year.

-SPACE-