Airviking

How to safely buy on-line?

One was brokered through Chutingstar

from their web site
...A check will be sent to you for the sale price once the gear is sold, minus the inspection fee (varies by number/type of items) and commission (15%).

so on a $2500 rig you're giving up $350+...or in this case, he's going to paying that much more. to the OP...just send money if you want the rig, it might just save you a few dollars. just my $.02.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

from their web site
...A check will be sent to you for the sale price once the gear is sold, minus the inspection fee (varies by number/type of items) and commission (15%).

so on a $2500 rig you're giving up $350+...or in this case, he's going to paying that much more. to the OP...just send money if you want the rig, it might just save you a few dollars. just my $.02.

Nope, didn't cost me a thing. That quote - I assume - refers to Chutingstar actually taking responsibility for selling the gear. In this case, I was selling the gear myself, marketing it myself, and negotiating a price directly with the buyer. The buyer asked Mike at Chutingstar to inspect my canopy, and asked if I could send the canopy to Mike. I don't know what Mike charged the buyer for the inspection, but there was absolutely no cost to me as the seller.

Once Mike had completed the inspection, he let me know; at that point, the buyer and I arranged payment, and once payment was taken care of, Mike released the canopy to the buyer. Everyone was happy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Nope, didn't cost me a thing. That quote - I assume - refers to Chutingstar actually taking responsibility for selling the gear.

so you're saying that it's free for folks to sell their equipment through them? is their website not true? see attached pic.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

Nope, didn't cost me a thing. That quote - I assume - refers to Chutingstar actually taking responsibility for selling the gear.

so you're saying that it's free for folks to sell their equipment through them? is their website not true? see attached pic.

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying that I didn't ask Chutingstar to sell my gear. Chutingstar did not sell my gear for me. Chutingstar performed an inspection for the buyer.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There's a difference beween consigning your gear and using them as an escrow.

What Chuting Star is talking about is consignment -- you're turning your gear over to them, and making Chuting Star responsible for selling the rig, including demo-ing it, ensuring it's in good shape, etc. You're using their advertising and services.

Using them as an escrow is the same as getting an inspection -- they have the rig for inspection, it's just turned over to a different person from the one who sent it in.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've sold two canopies on dropzone.com. One was brokered through Chutingstar

sounds like they did more then inspect it. your words...not mine!

Okay, so I picked a poor word in my original post. I think I've made it crystal clear what Chutingstar did or did not do in my subsequent posts. Moving on...

...to the OP...just send money if you want the rig, it might just save you a few dollars. just my $.02.

In this particular case, I agree. The more I deal with the seller, the more reassured I feel that he's an OK guy.

(Looks like this one might have slipped through my fingers while I'm waiting for the funds to surface. Oh well I'll grab the next one.)
I believe you have my stapler.

I've had similar experiences as you on buying gear on the Classifieds. A girl was selling two jumpsuits (freefly suit and pants). I asked her how she wants payment and she said she'll just send them...if they don't fit just send them back, and if they do fit we'll figure out payment later. Very surprising for someone to do that in this day and age. They fit, so I immediately paid for suits, shipping and paypal charges.

Opposite that, I bought my rig from a PD factory team member who would not even send it to my well-known rigger as a third party until he got payment. I was afraid as it was a huge purchase, but I figured he is very well known in the sport and trusted he would send it, which he did and everything went great.

As fair as it is to ship a rig to a third party to make sure the deal goes smoothly for both parties, I personally would have a hard time shipping it to a rigger I didn't know, regardless of his reputation, cuz ya just never know... If the buyer demanded a third party I would go through someplace like Chutingstar, but if they didn't I wouldn't ship it unless I got payment in full.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Hi viking,

I have sold two rigs, for friends, by listing them in the classifieds on dz.com.

One went out to a cadet at the Air Force Academy. I figured I could always contact the Commandant if the little bugger wouldn't pay. He had way more to lose than I did by not paying up.

The second one I had the 'buyer' put the money into the hands of the rigger/DZO at dz he jumped at. When the DZO said that he, himself, had the money I then shipped the rig to the DZO. The inspection went well and the buyer was very happy with what he got.

As everyone here says, 'Find a middleman.' There are some that will not charge just to 'hold' things.

Good luck,

JerryBaumchen

If none of these options work for you, you can use escrow.com. It's pretty cheap and you can split the fee. I used it a few times to buy domain names from a complete stranger and it worked out well. The fee for a 1000 dollar transaction is $32.

just my .02.

oh and I have no financial stake or ties to that company in any way. :)
Your money wont be released to the seller until you have acknowledged that you recvd the goods advertised.

-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

I've bought canopies and rigs threw Ebay..Never had a problem, alsways buying from people that have been selling for a while, NEVER a newbee...

Also payment made threw Paypal...between paypal and Visa that secures my paypal account..If I get screwed, I get my money back!

So yeah, as someone who sells lots of gear, I very seldom am willing to ship something without getting paid first. But that's just me :)

And when I wouldn’t ship you a rig without getting paid you wait several months and jump my shit on a public forum. But maybe that’s just me. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So yeah, as someone who sells lots of gear, I very seldom am willing to ship something without getting paid first. But that's just me :)

And when I wouldn’t ship you a rig without getting paid you wait several months and jump my shit on a public forum. But maybe that’s just me. ;)

Sparky

Way to take things out of context Sparky. And for the record - I have never requested for you to ship me anything w/o getting paid. And the communication you are referring to is from December 2006.

from their web site

These fees refer to us selling used gear on our site and in our shop. That reference is listed in our "How to Sell Your Used Gear Here" section on our site. That is for people who don't want to sell their gear on their own and want us to take care of the entire selling process for them.

There is no fee for Escrow Services where we hold the money/gear to facilitate a used gear transaction. We do charge for inspections, if needed, but those range from $10-$60 depending on what's being inspected. No charges for just holding gear and/or money to verify both exist.

For info on how buying used gear through individual sellers, see our articles listed here under the Buying Gear headline:

http://www.chutingstar.com/expertadvice_en/

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Sparky

Way to take things out of context Sparky. And for the record - I have never requested for you to ship me anything w/o getting paid. And the communication you are referring to is from December 2006.

What ever you say.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals