zf15z

What is it called when...and is it legal?

Hi,

I forgot the term for it but what is it called when a skydiver exits the aircraft with another skydiver holding onto them.

The skydiver being held on to then deploys his main parachute whilst the other skydiver clings on. Due to the early deployment it makes it possible to hold on as the velocity is not too great.

The secondary skydiver then lets go and deploys their main parachute after freefalling.

I overheard this at the dropzone, what is it called and is it legal? IF it has been done of course =]

Thanks!

It's called a Mr Bill

Do not adjust your set. This is only a test:

So, how did it come to be called a "Mr. Bill"?

"Ohhhh Noooo, Mr. Bil." Actually I think it was Slugo who was the tormenter.
(From Saturday Night Live)

And were the Mr. Bill jumps a testing programe for tandems? Mr. Bill, Bill Booth. Hmmm.;)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Enthusiasm for Mr. Bills is inversely proportional to jump numbers, and for good reason.

+1

i've never had the urge to do one, and the one i witnessed.. well, after that, even less so; for a good reason! :D

a PC-entanglement around both jumpers legs is not really my definition of "fun", especially not if you're exiting at or below 3500ft.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

It's called a Mr Bill

And were the Mr. Bill jumps a testing programe for tandems? Mr. Bill, Bill Booth. Hmmm.;)

It's not "Ohhhh Nooo, Mr. Bill" It just Ohhhhh Nooooo being SAID by Mr. Bill. After Slugo does whatever. And it's called that because thats what the idiot that tried to hang on says has the jumper opening the canopy is ripped from his grasp and he falls away.:P
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It's called a Mr Bill

It's not "Ohhhh Nooo, Mr. Bill" It just Ohhhhh Nooooo being SAID by Mr. Bill. After Slugo does whatever. And it's called that because thats what the idiot that tried to hang on says has the jumper opening the canopy is ripped from his grasp and he falls away.:P

I stopped a couple of Bozo's from killing themselves a few years back...they planned and dirt dived a Mr. Bill.

In the door of the Otter I look up, and they are putting a carabiner to both their chest straps! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Concur. I tried one and it ended with a malfunction and cutaway, not to mention plenty of bruises on both of us as we kicked each other as we were torn apart. The more jumps I have, the lest stupid things I seem apt to do, fortunately.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Unless it's a tandem mr bill, in which case you need some jump numbers but the enthusiasm suddenly seems to be proportional to your passenger's body type :)

That's been done too... lol
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's legal and tons of fun when it goes right. But when it goes wrong it's not so fun. I've done them successfully, but the last one I did wound up snapping my arm, and landing with a broken arm really sucks. I'm stuck on the ground with a cast up to my shoulder right now.

If you do it plan carefully with advice from people who know what they're talking about. Be ready to abort if anything feels less than perfect. And know that despite all precautions things can easily go wrong and you can get broken.

Enthusiasm for Mr. Bills is inversely proportional to jump numbers, and for good reason.

+1

i've never had the urge to do one, and the one i witnessed.. well, after that, even less so; for a good reason! :D

a PC-entanglement around both jumpers legs is not really my definition of "fun", especially not if you're exiting at or below 3500ft.. ;)

pca mr bill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCcDwg2CIiQ
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

" ... I stopped a couple of Bozo's from killing themselves a few years back...they planned and dirt dived a Mr. Bill.

In the door of the Otter I look up, and they are putting a carabiner to both their chest straps! :S

"

Did anyone tell them that most chest strap buckles are only rated to hold 500 pounds?

Hint, most load-bearing hardware - in skydiving harnesses - is rated for 2,500 or 3,000 pounds.

What kind of jump numbers are reccomended before trying before trying this mr bill dealy.

There is really not much skill involved, so don't worry about jump numbers. A Mr Bill Jump requires a lot of unjustified confidence, so it is the kind of thing best attempted when you don't know enough to be scared by it. :o:)[:/]
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The last time I saw someone do a Mr. Bill they exited from 5000 ft and couldn't find the pilotchute-handle within 2 seconds so they opened after 5 seconds (Sabre2 - 170, total of 380 pounds of weight of the two guys).

The result was a couple of broken lines and 2 blown cells while the one hanging couldn't hang on.

I did film a tandem Mr. Bill which was nice to do. Except that the tandemmaster was much longer than the skydiver hanging in front of him. They struggled to release the hooks from 10000 ft till 4000 ft before they got the last hook to release.

Man, my arms where hurting like hell hanging in the brakes for that long beside the tandem while hanging forward in the harness to film the tandem past my risers. The tandemmaster didn't unstow his brakes under canopy.

Because of the time it took to release, the skydiver and I landed of and the tandemmaster got back to the dropzone with 380 sq. ft. over his head.
Blue skies!

I stopped a couple of Bozo's from killing themselves a few years back...they planned and dirt dived a Mr. Bill.

In the door of the Otter I look up, and they are putting a carabiner to both their chest straps!

Shame on you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In the door of the Otter I look up, and they are putting a carabiner to both their chest straps!

Shame on you.

Sparky

Yup, should've just had them tie the chest straps in a square knot. Carabiners break. ;) (especially if it was one of those el-cheapo's that say not to use for climbing!)

Twardo is fucking with natural selection...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message