packing_jarrett

What would you have done?

the reason I said I think its on is because I do the routine so often its like a reaction to saying its on.

You have 24 jumps, that means you have done the "routine" less than 20 times. You better get your head out of you ass and come to grips with the fact you are responsible for your own safety. You fucked up, quit whining about it and learn from it. >:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Are you suggesting that it's too dangerous to jump without a cypres and that if this guy didn't have one he should ground himself?

I'm not saying Cypres's are great tools, we should all use them because they could easily save any one of our lives... but if they're the thing that tips skydiving into the "not too dangerous" catagory for this guy then maybe the sport's not for him.

There ought not be anything wrong with going on any given jump without a cypres. If there is, then that jump is too dangerous and you shouldn't be making it in the first place - with or without a cypres.

"Are you suggesting that it's too dangerous to jump without a cypres?"

Jeeezzz, there is no one I know that is less superstitious than I. But for some reason I have this thing about the Cypress. If a rig has a Cypress in it and I intentionally jump it off and I die on that jump in a situation that may have had a different outcome with it on I sure would look like a dumb ass. Joe tosses me his rig and I know it doesn’t have a cypress and a smaller parachute that I prefer and I will go jump it mo worries (exception of AFF jumps) cuz big asses need big leg straps.... How many centuries did mankind survive without hand sanitizers? Jeezzzz….
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Yup, I agree, I'd look pretty dumb if I went in and didn't have my cypres on. I just think that your skydiving priorities are your skydiving priorities and no one elses. It should read 1)You get a parachute over your head... The fact that you have a gizmo on your back shouldn't come into the equation.

Any kid who's old enough to be able to jump from an airplane is old enough to take responsibility for their own safety.

If he's not old enough to take responsibility for his own safety, then he should NOT be skydiving.

Since Dad let him skydive, Dad must think he's responsible enough to do it himself. Dad should butt out.

_Am

Dad is HIS dad and Jarrett is still a minor. If he is living under his dad's roof, dad's word is law and dad can meet out any punishment (as in no jumping for X days) that he wants. If Jarett is not a minor (18+) anymore, doesn't live at home, and jumps at a DZ where dad isn't, then he obviously doesn't have to listen to dad (even if it may be prudent to).

Dad is HIS dad and Jarrett is still a minor. If he is living under his dad's roof, dad's word is law and dad can meet out any punishment (as in no jumping for X days) that he wants. If Jarett is not a minor (18+) anymore, doesn't live at home, and jumps at a DZ where dad isn't, then he obviously doesn't have to listen to dad (even if it may be prudent to).

My post had two options.

Either Dad should butt out, or Junior should not be jumping.

Either Junior is mature enough to be responsible for himself, or he's not.

My point, I question how someone who requires parental supervision has the maturity to be skydiving. Skydiving isn't for kids. You're probably right - jumping at a different DZ than Dad is probably a good idea. That way he CAN be responsible for his own safety, without his Dad questioning his every jump.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>My point, I question how someone who requires parental
>supervision has the maturity to be skydiving.

Students require supervision, even though they may be mature enough to jump. Some require it for upwards of 40-50 jumps. We don't tell them they shouldn't be jumping.

Either Junior is mature enough to be responsible for himself, or he's not

You're not a parent, are you?

Teaching kids about responsibility is all about letting them have some piece by piece. Sometimes that responsibility is large (driving, skydiving), sometimes it's small (being alone at the mall for an hour).

But if you're a good parent, you pay attention to how the kid handles the responsibility, and you pull back if you see the likely opportunity for consequences that might hurt or kill your children.

You can't protect them forever. But as parent, your job is to evaluate their judgement regularly to see if it's up to what you're letting them do.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd expect Jarret to be a damn good kid. Damn good kids need guidance too.

Your expectations are correct.
(and we all need guidance:)
Jarret, I hope your dad gives you a couple days off your grounding for good behavior so you can jump next weekend...

Be careful out there
illegible usually

I hope your dad gives you a couple days off your grounding for good behavior so you can jump next weekend...

Yeah, don't rob any liquor stores between now and then. ;)
Use that CYPRES, little bro, noone is immune from Murphy. "It won't happen to me" have been a lot of people's last words (closely following "OH sh**!")[:/]

I'd expect Jarret to be a damn good kid. Damn good kids need guidance too.

Your expectations are correct.
(and we all need guidance:)
Jarret, I hope your dad gives you a couple days off your grounding for good behavior so you can jump next weekend...

Be careful out there

I am 33 years old. I have done alot, but not enough. I still make mistakes - and I still learn from them..

My last post was not meant to be an attack. I was lamenting. It was surprising to hear that saying he had done his gear checks was habbit - not actually DOING the check that was not.

It is fortunate to make a mistake and have the opportunity to learn from it without something bad happening.

I also agree that if this kid (affectionate term) is mature to jump at 14 y/o - then he jumps. There is also the small thing about being a minor and parents that love him and care about his safety. He was wrapped up in his new helmet. Maybe he will learn more from not checking his gear than being grounded. Maybe he is more bothered that he dissapointed his father than anything else....

Hope that clears things up....

Peace and Blue Skies

IMHO ... It is better to have your son pissed about getting grounded than to be wearing a black suit carrying a pine box to a hole in the ground. Who knows? It could have been a great jump, it could have gone horribally wrong I would rather see you teach the lesson now and maybe it will stick and cause him to check his "lifesaving gear" with some assurance next time.

Have Rig will travel ...

I think that your skydiving priorities are your skydiving priorities and no one elses. It should read 1)You get a parachute over your head... The fact that you have a gizmo on your back shouldn't come into the equation.

Tell ya what, you make getting a parachute over your head your last skydiving priority. Go right no ahead then if you bounce after completing 99 points on the most awesome freefly jump in history we will know that you priorities were not in order.

The fact that you have a Cypress activated on your gear HAS been part of the lifesaving equation for over a hundred people. If you just feel like arguing go find a mirror...

If you are teaching and training your students that the most important priority is anything other than getting a good parachute overhead than you are doing your students an injustice. This is my opinion and the opinion of scores of instructors out there.

Expletive free, imagine that. Moderator might let this one stand…

Mykel
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Finaly its been like an eternity. My dad finaly let me jump. I did some freeflying from 8K and did my first jump under my new Diablo 135.

Dude, you won the skydiving lottery of life. Growing up with a parent that skydives and hanging out at the airport.....AND getting to jump as a teenager?! Be grateful you didn't grow up the son of an orthodox priest and when you told your dad you were thinking about making a tandem he became totally quiet. (this was WAY scarier than him yelling like a typical greek dad). Now it is just a "don't ask don't tell" situation.

You da man! (and yes, I would have grounded you for the day, because it your age it would have seemed like a month and that would almost guarantee you wouldn't forget again)

Oh dude its the best canopy for me. I made a few jumps today and went from landing on one knee to a 2 stage flare that got me a little bit of a swoop. Going from the Triathalon 160 to the 135 diable was a bit scary so I was extra cautious and it worked out fine. I love this canopy. And I was like oh (beep) when I did my first turn. It is the perfect canopy for me.
Na' Cho' Cheese