bsrodeo540

Is it a scam and what is my risk?

I would play along, just don't want to give out my information. Not that he can do anything with it, but just to be on the safe side. The only positive thing I can do with it I guess is to wait for a check, deposit it straight to your line of credit or any other interest-type account and wait till the bank claims it back cause its fraudulent, in this case you save yourself an interest for the time period before they find out it's fake. The only thing is that you don't want your bank to put a caution message on your account although even it wasn't your fault.
Every life comes with a death sentence. Until then, who's in charge?

This is a total scam. The check will be fake abd if you send your gear, you will never see it again. Wlak away and find someone else.

Absolutely. You should only get involved with deals like this if the other party is royalty.

- Dan G

Absolutely. You should only get involved with deals like this if the other party is royalty.

What about a Marine on a secret mission in Iraq? Surely I can trust him! It's just amazing that a soldier overseas on a secret mission can find the time to purchase my furniture on Craigslist. Wow - that guy can really multi-task!

...wait for a check, deposit it straight to your line of credit or any other interest-type account and wait till the bank claims it back cause its fraudulent, in this case you save yourself an interest for the time period before they find out it's fake.

Very BAD idea!!! >:(
You have just suggested yourself, to commit a CRIMINAL / FRAUDULENT act against a bank/financial institution with such. ...Not smart. Not smart in ANY way, at all.

The only thing is that you don't want your bank to put a caution message on your account...

"Caution Message"? ...You think that is ALL such a BLATANTLY offending party (like you are suggesting YOU now become by doing this) would get? :S

...although even it wasn't your fault.

KNOWING IN ADVANCE it was a FRAUDULENT / FORGED instrument ...somehow "NOT your fault" - ???
Especially, when now doing it, (if you did - which would be STUPID X INFINITY! >:() and SPECIFICALLY for the such OVERTLY FRAUDULENT purposes yourself of which you advocate???

deposit it straight to your line of credit or any other interest-type account and wait till the bank claims it back... ...in this case you save yourself an interest for the time period before they find out it's fake.

- - -> :S:S:S

OP - WHATEVER you do / however you proceed, please... DO NOT DO THIS!!!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I think you can legitimately claim that you don't know it is fake, and can even deposit it at the bank and declare in advance that you have suspicion about its authenticity.

Some/many banks will do more than just take back the money after a deposit is found to be a fraud. They may charge a fee for their inconvenience. Best to be sure in advance what the consequences might be.

Of course the bank might very quickly (in minutes) be able to confirm the suspicion. I had a check mailed to me that had written details about the anti-fraud features supposed to be present, and the features weren't present, so that was another give-away as to its status.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I say, let him send you the cheque, take a walk to your local PD and provide them the cheque with the sender's address and walk away.

Could be entertaining...

Either way, I think the best thing to so is to string this guy along as long as you can. I'd send him a small package (like a pen?) after receiving the cheque, then he'll think it's cleared when you provide him the tracking info. Then when he gets it, he will likely never contact you, but he might bite and demand you send the rig. Then tell him you lost the cheque, and to send another, even offer to provide him the difference if he wants to send a larger amount. Then, once you get both cheques, inform him that you have delivered his fraudulant cheques to the police, you have traced his IP address and provided it to them. The say "Have great day!"

The PD likely won't do anything, but this guy (or kid) will likely shit bricks.

Hell, tell him you have a friend selling a rig too, and give him my details, I'd LOVE to take this for a good run...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

When I got one of these checks, I suspected ( knew ) it was fraud, and told the teller. I asked her to check it. She ran it thru the little horseshoe thing, and instantly told me it was fake. It's that easy. She told me to take it to the Police. The Police gave me a URL link to the FBI internet fraud site. I filled out the FBI paperwork. They said to save all the physical evidence, and they'd be in touch........4 months ago.......I guess they really don't care about us little guys......[:/]

Life is short ... jump often.

Nobody's even brought up the possibility that the USPS might be interested in the fraud being perpetrated through their mail if the "check" is sent that way. They may be in the best position (both in ability and interest in pursuing prosecution).
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

They send the check thru FedEx......By the way, I forget to say in my last post, when I went to the Police ststion, I spoke to a lady cop behind the glass. Looking her in the eye, I told her it was internet fraud, she reached down and got a copy of the FBI website and never even broke eye contact with me. She hands out that many of these slips, she keeps them right in front of her. What does that say ?
Life is short ... jump often.

I bet they'd be interested if it wasn't a petty amount (in the grand scheme of things). If you could convince one of these people that you just cosed a skydiving school and have ~$90,000 worth of gear and you could arrange to send $100,000 to cover any shipping or duty or something....they might open their ears a little more...

Then, it's a large amount, worth pursuing....
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hey chill Scumpot, I did not say I am going to do this ))) I am not dealing with this guy, I am saying that is the only positive thing that you can get out of situation WHEN YOU ARE NOT SURE IF THE CHECK IS REAL OR NOT.
Telling the teller that you suspect that this check is fake is a must, in which case it will still be deposited to your account but all steps will be taken to check that as soon as possible. Also I work in the bank myself and it is not always that fast and easy to check legitimacy of the check. Yes, if it is the same institution draft or money order - it is seconds, if it is within the same country - it might be minutes, but once it is international it may take days and even weeks to figure that out. Bank will release the funds long before that (15 business days in our case), but will hold you liable and will debit your account in case it turns out that it was fake.
Every life comes with a death sentence. Until then, who's in charge?

Folks, catching these scammers isn't as simple as you think. They invariably operate out of foreign countries, making it extremely difficult (or even impossible) for the USPS or FBI to do anything even if they identify & track down the culprit. These scams are so well organized that they spoof IP addresses and have "shadow" shipping addresses all over the place. They also know damn good and well that these crimes are low down on the FBI's priority lists--not because they "don't care about the little guy" but simply because they don't have the resources available--so none of the scammers will "shit bricks" if you tell them you've turned things over to the authorities. These scams rake in BILLIONS of dollars world-wide, and aren't run by some teen in a basement trying to skim enough money for a new Xbox.

I'm by no means trying to discourage people from reporting these frauds to the cops. But be realistic...if you think you're going to be able to out scam these scammers, or bring down the network by yourself, they'd already be out of business because someone else would have already done it.

Folks, catching these scammers isn't as simple as you think. They invariably operate out of foreign countries, making it extremely difficult (or even impossible) for the USPS or FBI to do anything even if they identify & track down the culprit. These scams are so well organized that they spoof IP addresses and have "shadow" shipping addresses all over the place. They also know damn good and well that these crimes are low down on the FBI's priority lists--not because they "don't care about the little guy" but simply because they don't have the resources available--so none of the scammers will "shit bricks" if you tell them you've turned things over to the authorities. These scams rake in BILLIONS of dollars world-wide, and aren't run by some teen in a basement trying to skim enough money for a new Xbox.

I'm by no means trying to discourage people from reporting these frauds to the cops. But be realistic...if you think you're going to be able to out scam these scammers, or bring down the network by yourself, they'd already be out of business because someone else would have already done it.

+1 This is what these people do for a living. :S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

+1 This is what these people do for a living. :S

Sparky

On the + side, if they are wasting time replying to you, sending you documents, checks etc, then they aren't scamming someone else :-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

But be realistic...if you think you're going to be able to out scam these scammers, or bring down the network by yourself, they'd already be out of business because someone else would have already done it.

These guys do it all the time :)

http://www.419eater.com/index.php
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

It seems to me that the scambaters are still in high school or at least behave like it. What a complete waste of your time and effort.

+1.

And... truly - there is literally (short of sending your own spec-op's personal mercenary to make a personal call on them - if you find them) nothing you can "do to them", let alone "touch them" - that they even really remotely care about. You are not affecting any of them even one iota with any of the childish games or schemes some seem so intent to WASTE THEIR TIME(s) with - at least that I have seen posted yet, anywhere.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone