pilot-one

Aggieland closing......Damn

Sounds like it's easier to fold up then stay and fight the city manger via the FAA part 13 & 16 process... sad to see yet another dz ran off of a public funded airport.[:/]>:(:(

Aggie dave what is the scoop?

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

http://skydiveaggieland.com/Aggieland%20Closing%20-%20PSA.pdf Direct link.

To Our Friends and Family in the Brazos Valley and beyond:
It is with a heavy heart that we must announce that Skydive Aggieland, Inc. will be closing its doors on November 20, 2010 due to the unreasonable and uncompromising demands made by the City of Bryan. It is very disappointing that “the only civilian drop zone where a President has jumped,” and our almost 9 years of service to our community must end this way. We have been honored to be a part of the now ending history of skydiving at Coulter Field Airport that dates back at least as early as 1957.
We have shared wonderful experiences and extraordinary memories with many of you, and we thank you for your loyalty and support. Coulter Field Airport, in the past, was a friendly supporter of general aviation; however, this attitude appears to have disappeared beneath a focus on revenue that we do not have the ability to provide.
We will greatly miss the opportunity to continue providing skydiving instruction to you, our Brazos Valley friends and family, and to your sons and daughters who have been patiently counting the days until they turn 18 years old. Todd Spillers will continue skydiving and teaching at our sister USPA Group Member skydiving facilities. He is currently serving his fourth year as the Gulf Region Director on the United States Parachute Association’s Board of Directors and is also Chair of the Safety and Training Committee. Please feel free to contact him for information on other locations where you can still experience the exhilarating joy of skydiving.
For more information about skydiving and USPA Group Member skydiving facilities, please visit www.uspa.org, or contact Todd Spillers at [email protected].
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm in a precarious spot about commenting my opinions in full detail, but the short version is that the city has big dreams of a destination jet port (with Coulter's 4300ft runway).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

... the city has big dreams of a destination jet port (with Coulter's 4300ft runway).

I think that every manager of a small GA airport has tried to sell his town on this line of crap. They are all convinced that they've hit the big-time. Very few of them actually make that jump, but don't know that until they have run off their existing tenants.

When I was at A&M, there was no local jumping. We had to go to Austin to skydive. For Aggies, that's a real kick in the nads.[:/]

Kevin K.

I'm in a precarious spot about commenting my opinions in full detail, but the short version is that the city has big dreams of a destination jet port (with Coulter's 4300ft runway).

Same thing hapen to the DZ operated here 30 years ago, the "dream" never came true, yet there is still no skydiving there![:/]

Nooooooo!

I always hate to hear about a DZ closing.

I'm actually in the process of transferring to A&M. Was really looking forward to having that DZ near by. Have heard nothing but good things about it from my friends that jumped there. :(

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

No other "friendly airports" in the neighborhood? Not everywhere in the US is populated by airports like the Wichita Kansas area. With a few calls, I'm sure that I could find two or three airports withing 20 miles of Wichita that would love to have a DZ. That said, I'm on paved private field, and really enjoy the fact that I don't have to deal with elected officials!

This kind of reminds me of the cattle drive days in Kansas, not that I remember personally. Abilene didn't like all the cowboys so they banned them. The next year damned if they didn't miss the revenue, at that point it was to late to invite 'em back. Well, plus the railroad had also moved South.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Nooooooo!

I always hate to hear about a DZ closing.

I'm actually in the process of transferring to A&M. Was really looking forward to having that DZ near by. Have heard nothing but good things about it from my friends that jumped there. :(

Well, there are still a decent number of jumpers in the area and I know that we'll be traveling to various DZs in the area, so you may have some good car pool opportunities. It'll be like the old TAMU Skydiving Club days between AOT and Aggieland where everyone went to Waller or Wharton together.

That does not make sense! Esterwood airport is the jet port of the College Staion area. A single runway airport less than 5000' in length will not compete for comercial traffic.

What's that other airport just west of town? Looks abandoned though...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That does not make sense! Esterwood airport is the jet port of the College Staion area. A single runway airport less than 5000' in length will not compete for comercial traffic.

It isn't abandoned. That is Texas A&M Riverside Campus. It is a former US Army air base that was used to train bomber crews. There are a number of things out there, notably the TEEX police academy, TEEX linemen training and TTI's testing area. The runways are used for police EVOC training as well as TTI's testing area.

There are a couple of sky tractors that still fly from there, they're used to test spraying compounds and the like for Texas A&M's agriculture department.

It isn't abandoned. That is Texas A&M Riverside Campus. It is a former US Army air base that was used to train bomber crews. There are a number of things out there, notably the TEEX police academy, TEEX linemen training and TTI's testing area. The runways are used for police EVOC training as well as TTI's testing area.

There are a couple of sky tractors that still fly from there, they're used to test spraying compounds and the like for Texas A&M's agriculture department.

No chances of moving the DZ there then?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There's always Hearne up the road. Used to be a roaming DZ there in the 70's.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Absolutely no chance. Although if you landed off, but on property, you might end up at the firing range, the driving (police cars) range or next to one of the "shoot houses" that SWAT teams train in...

There's always Hearne up the road. Used to be a roaming DZ there in the 70's.

Yup. I'm fairly sure that Todd has looked into moving to a couple of the other air fields in the area, but with his new job and everything else, I don't think it'll happen. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see an occasional NOTAM pop up at one of the other airfields in the region on some random weekends.;)

As someone who flies business jets, I can tell you that very few jet owner/operators will ever take their aircraft into a 4300 ft runway. Very few biz jets even have the performance numbers to operate in and out of that short of a runway. And if the aircraft is operated under FAR Part 135 the additional runway length requirements will almost certainly prevent them from going in and out of there. And that's even in clear, dry conditions! If it's wet and/or the visibility goes down you will never get in there.

Sounds stupid to me. :S

As someone who flies business jets, I can tell you that very few jet owner/operators will ever take their aircraft into a 4300 ft runway. Very few biz jets even have the performance numbers to operate in and out of that short of a runway. And if the aircraft is operated under FAR Part 135 the additional runway length requirements will almost certainly prevent them from going in and out of there. And that's even in clear, dry conditions! If it's wet and/or the visibility goes down you will never get in there.

Sounds stupid to me. :S

Turners Falls, where I hgr my 180, used to be a really fun and busy DZ/airport. The DZ shut down long ago. In recent years airport management got the grand idea into their heads that bringing the airport up to current FAA standards for that class of airport would make it attractive enough to be a commuter hub.

Indeed if they could have brought the airport up to standard it might have become eligible for recurring grant monies. In preparation they copied the operating procedures and leases from a far larger and busier airport in the state, Hanscom Field outside of Boston.

Airport management ruined the place in an attempt to make it what they had been led to believe it could become. They had been led down this garden path by a development company familiar with grant procedures and the FAA gauntlet. This company does this across the country for rural communities seeking the big bucks for their town via airport grants. Alas the only real winner is the company.

We now have big fences, electronic gates, huge non-competitive land lease rates, no community involvement and no fun.

BTW Jack, Cosby flies his PC-12 in here rather than his GIV and they have flat spotted the tires right thru a couple of times.

jon

I think you hit the nail on the head with respect to Easterwood ... COLLEGE STATION ... not Bryan. It seems to me Bryan is having delusions of grandeur (or else whoever owns the property they'd need to extend the runway has connections)!

Dave ... not really clear in the note from Todd ... will they be operating the 20th, or will the 19th be the last jump day? I'd like to try to get something together.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?