piisfish

Scary Skyvan exit video

You know, for a group that hadn't practiced something like this, I think they did well. When everybody surges forward (toward the gate) in curiousity, they are waved back behind the line. While the one jumper is kicking for whatever reason at the snagged jumper, another jumper gets somebody to secure him while he makes eye contact with the snagged jumper and lifts him off the obstruction.

Broken down, it really reminds me of exercises we did at USMC OCS a million years ago. Some heinously complex problem would be created that required us to build human bridges and climb over each other and then lift the remainder.

People who aren't problem solvers and who think well on "their feet" don't do well in parachute emergency procedures.

Sorry.......but with a fullface on even with the visor 'up' its very difficult to hear the 'words' people are saying....both because of the sheilded mouth but also the restriction the helmet puts on the movement of the jaw with the strap done up....
It just sounds muffled....
This is the same for helmets that restrict the jaw movement like say a ratchet chincup.....

If everyone is wearing open face helmets with loose chinstraps....then no problem....

Last time I looked a significant proportion of any given load falls into the former category.

This is where the non verbal but postive communication comes into its own....IMHO

Most of the discussion so far has been about the actions, or potential actions, of the people in the plane. What about the hooked jumper?

What I want to know as an inexperienced person is: how would you get your reserve riser hooked on something/anything in the first place? And assuming that happened, how would you know which riser it was?

On a related note: what rig was the hooked guy wearing?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Well, I must say that after watching this I will always keep it fresh in my mind that if someone is caught up like this, the best solution is not to cut away instantly. I dont think I would've thought something like a reserve riser would be the one to get cut.

how would you get your reserve riser hooked on something/anything in the first place?

Everything that protrudes has snagging potential. In this case, I believe it was a hook that was part of the door lock mechanism. Also, I have seen reserve risers on rigs being much "looser" than on others... (I think it has more to do with the packing of the reserve than the type of rig though, but I may be wrong).
Also from an inexperienced person...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

> Also, I have seen reserve risers on rigs being much "looser" than on others...

Heck, in the "olden days" some rigs barely _had_ reserve riser covers. One of the first rigs I used (a Stong Starlite I believe) had _no_ main riser covers and very exposed reserve risers.

Guest 1010
Bill/anyone - two questions -

Are there any downsides to having reserve risers be a different color than main risers? It would seem to be a good idea to have them different if/when something must be cut.

In modern rigs (specifically, the Mirage G4) are reserve risers out of sight after main deployment?

(If this belongs in G&R, please move)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

>Are there any downsides to having reserve risers be a different color than main risers?

Not really. But as most modern main risers are type-17 (1") and all reserve risers I know of are type-8 (2" or so) it's usually not a big deal. Many people use yellow toggles on the main risers and red on the reserve; that's another way to tell risers apart.

>In modern rigs (specifically, the Mirage G4) are reserve risers out of
>sight after main deployment?

No more so than main risers are. They 'originate' from about the same spot on the harness. In the case of reserve risers, they originate just behind the 3-ring.

Something like that sort-of has happened. A group of jumpers (3 or 4 ?) left a Cessna. One of the jumpers caught his bootie on something on the step. The pilot and the jumper made attmeps to free the jumper. Eventually, the pilot had to land with the jumper in tow. The pilot landed on a grass strip and managed to shut it down (stop) in an amazingly short distance. The jumper, although beat-up and exhausted by this point, had the presence of mind to take the landing on his container. They helo'ed the jumper off the DZ, but he was out of the hospital that same day having only suffered minior injuries, nothing broken. It just goes to show, "I'd rather be lucky then good any day."

>Probably wouldnt happen but what if you were the last one out the
>door and it happened to you?

It would depend on a lot of things. If I could identify it as my reserve, I'd give it about 20-30 seconds to free on its own (you have time) then try to cut it free. If I could cut it free, I'd spend some time trying to reel in the lines before trying to deploy the main. If I could not cut it free I'd land with the plane. It would be unpleasant but I'd likely survive.

... can't get to it without a Username & Password... doh!

Just register an account. Don't worry, you'll only get v1agra and pen1s pump spam. As I told someone asking for my email list the other day, I've got an exclusive agreement with the v1agra spam guy.

Or the first 50 of you can use this link without registering:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=4t43y

Dave

There is a video of this on skydivingmovies.com...

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=205

OK That just made top 5 of videos my family are never, ever seeing. Scary stuff (but an extremely lucky dude).
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

There is a video of this on skydivingmovies.com...

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=205

OK That just made top 5 of videos my family are never, ever seeing. Scary stuff (but an extremely lucky dude).

Cant imagine how stressful that had to be for not only the jumper, but the pilot of the plane and the (DZO?) who made the final call to land..

edited to add: and his father....

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.