Silverchic

Brain Malfunction 11/09/2005

Silly female "should be blonde" skydiver (eg. me) had a brain malfunction coming into land and decided that one of the local bushes looked softer than the ground! It wasn't...

Total injuries: 2.5 inches of shin bone showing, no nerve, muscle or bone damage, plenty of embarrassment and head smacking.

I thought I would post because it has turned out ok and would probably give everyone a good laugh. Especially those of you who know what those Wickham bushes look like. Thankfully I know EXACTLY what I did wrong and can look back on it as a learning curve that didn't work out too badly.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

ahhh got a little target fixation eh?

we can all make that mistake, its kinda like on a motorcycle, where you look is where you go ;)

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

What's with the blonde comment? Or the "silly female" for that matter?! [:/]

Glad you are OK, but the tone of your post is demeaning to women skydivers!

Hmmmm or is it...how about we talk about the issues at hand here like setting up a pattern for accuracy, learning to make flat turns to avoid objects, adjusting for wind changes etc etc etc and not talk about how we feel that someone disgraced the women in this sport by poking fun at herself.

I know I have made many silly male blond mistakes where I did things like split my head open or broke my leg, life is too short to get our panties/tighty whites in a bundle over somethign like that eh?

Cheers

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Hmmmm or is it...how about we talk about the issues at hand here like setting up a pattern for accuracy, learning to make flat turns to avoid objects

I'm just happy to see someone actually talking about learning to do flat turns. I talk to students all the time that have a number of jumps off AFF student status and they know nothing about breaked turns or flat turns. This can save your life!:o
------------
We take risk not to escape life, but to keep life from escaping._______________________
It is noble to teach oneself; it is still nobler to teach others. Mark Twain

agreed on the flat turns. this was something i only learned after randomly coming upon it in another dz.com thread. Many people are not taught the concept of braked turns even though they can be very useful.

Last week I BARELY made it back from a long tracking dive and if it were not for using a flat turn my only other option was a downwinder. Knowing how to correctly execute flat turns is something people should start learning earlier in their career ( I first tried one somwhere near jump 200).

Play with your turns high, experiment with different amounts of brake input throughout your turns. This is a great way to save altitude and land safely.

woa....that was cool....

Ever thought that maybe you write the date different Elisha???

Didn't think so.

Anyway, Gem has a great scar on her leg, don't ya Gem. ;)

Nasty crash, we where all very concerned when we saw it. Good thing you came out of it ok...
How long till you start jumping again Gem? :P

Cheers,
Jason.

hehehe, you realise you live in what is pretty much the only country in the entire world that writes the date that way round right? :D

Fully Agree!
What a to write the month before the date>:(?
(it's some time cunfusing when working with docs:S)

Date/Month/Year!!!

P/S offtopic:$
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I'm really not. This whole "I'm just such a silly GIRL" bit is stupid and offensive. Why not just say "I was a moron!"? What does being female have to do with anything?

wow, I think you may be taking a bit of a strong offense to an innocent comment, to some saying I am a silly girl is simply descriptive, without all the sexism applied, apparently on your planet, this is purely derogatory, instead of just being a word, you apply this to mean all women instead of just herself.

in reality, she may very well be jsut a silly girl, and for certain I am a silly boy, but I think maybe taking a step back and realizing that wow this person probably did not mean to or have any intentions of insulting the entire female skydiving population you might maybe jsut become a happier more relaxed person in all of your doings.

This post in no way inplies that I think that all women are silly, in fact raised by a single mother, and surrounded by wonderful powerful strong women in all aspects of my life I prefer to think otherwise.

Cheers

Dave

Hmmmm or is it...how about we talk about the issues at hand here like setting up a pattern for accuracy, learning to make flat turns to avoid objects

I'm just happy to see someone actually talking about learning to do flat turns. I talk to students all the time that have a number of jumps off AFF student status and they know nothing about breaked turns or flat turns. This can save your life!:o
------------

and the best part is most people barely think of slow flight at all...

I am usually doing two ways these days and pulling a bit towards 4K, so usually I am towards the end of the plane, which allows me to sit in brakes flat turning all the time, watching the madness unfold below.

so I spend a lot of time doing flat turns, but the best flat turn I ever had to do was around a parked plane when I had about 120 jumps, the my pattern was off, unfamiliar dropzone, I turned to final and wound up downwind flared and started turf surfing with no hook turn right at a plane, I started carving (flat turning) to the left and looked to see a swooper coming right at me, so I basically flat turned left straight right right around the nose of the plane ;)

being able to make slow flight turns at altitude is great, but then being able to apply them to flaring and being able to avoid obstacles when landing becomes an even more important learning task for all of us.

for all of those who havent read brian germains book, the parachute and its pilot, I reccomend it highly, it changed the way I fly my canopy.

Cheers

Dave

I'm really not a die hard feminazi and I'm sure she didn't mean anything however, that comment was right up there with the "I didn't get taught properly because I'm such a hot chick" comments I've seen on the site. This is where puking and eye rolling smilies would come in handy! :P

I'm really not a die hard feminazi

Your previous statements in this thread dictate otherwise. The purpose of this forum is to learn about Safety and Training concerning skydiving, so if we can all leave our egos at the door we can get on with learning about skydiving issues. I am an experienced instructor at a very busy DZ, and the plain fact of the matter is that there are strengths and weakness in varying aspects of learning how to skydive amongst both genders. As politically incorrect this is going to sound, how I dare even think it, there ARE differences between men and women, thank you God and I am not being facetious. In general, females relax and perform at a higher level of proficiency than males in freefall sooner during the progression; in contrast males seem to pilot parachutes with a higher level of proficiency sooner during the progression, and I am talking “In General” as there are exceptions to all observations. I have 5 years of documented proof of this as I wear a video camera on every student jump and record landings as well as keep logged records.
I have tried to be as unbiased and non-offensive as I can with this opening paragraph so lets see if the moderator lets it ride…

- - - So meanwhile, back at the farm - - -

In traditional AFF, say utilizing a very large canopy students are taught “Don’t turn low to the ground”. A great number of current skydiving fatalities are caused by not having a canopy overhead at landing time, but rather landing the body around the same time as the canopy. This is like driving a motorcycle into a brick wall at 60 MPH. These types of landing accidents are cut into two categories, high performance landings and taking evasive actions to miss an obstacle. I have personally lost friends to both - one being a very experienced and conservative skydiver that never learned to take evasive action low to the ground to miss an obstacle. This person pulled a single toggle to the number one position at approximately 100 feet AGL to miss a tree and that was all it took to kill them, I miss seeing that person dearly (notice I left this skydivers gender out of it). As for “Hook Turners”? Well, as a USPA Solo Freefall Instructor I can to nothing about that, I rather enjoy the excitement of high performance landings myself and fully understand the risk I am taking as well as when to abort (so far). For the second mentioned category there is something we instructors can do something about, at least we do in the program at the DZ I work at. Believe it or not, Slow Flight Flat Turn techniques are taught in the program I work in from solo jump number 1, much like they are taught in Canada. In fact an extremely experienced canopy pilot from Canada (he has a room full of gold medals in Accuracy) assisted in the development of our canopy training program that works in conjunction with the freefall dive flows in our student progression program. It is an 18 jump course and each student jump has a pre-defined set of skills to learn and practice during the progression. Slow Flight and Flat Turns are on EVERY one. We teach that flying in half brakes not only slows down your vertical and horizontal descent but turning in this configuration allows one to change their heading on the horizon while keeping the canopy overhead. We have had students and low timers avoid disastrous landings, some even landing still in process of a flat turn to avoid an obstacle do a PLF and get on another load because we are teaching the importance of keeping the canopy overhead when landing. As mentioned in an earlier post on this thread I had never even heard of a flat turn till I had well over a hundred jumps and there was a time or two knowing this skill could have saved me some scab picking. There is a reason that the USPA included a braked approach and landing on the A License Proficiency card, to encourage this very important canopy skill to low timers in skydiving. Lesson here? Learn to keep your canopy overhead when landing irregardless if your gender, nationality or for that matter the status of your hair color or lack thereof…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Oh yeah, Godspeed to healing to Silverchic, wish you a speedy recovery and lots of continued training in the future.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…