mazevedo

My first reserve ride

I had my first reserve ride yesterday (sunday) and it was my complete fault (it was my 206 jump).

The last pack was at a boogie and it was the last pack of the day. Maybe I was a little bit tired but I have to confess I am not an expert packer.

I don't know why, but one (maybe two) line, from the front riser, just crossed from the left to the right side. I missed it when checking the lines, maybe because it was after the slider (no excuses on that...).

There was no way I could land my canopy properly (I could try, but I could get hurt, too). The other way to get out of that was cuting the line with my hook knife, but I decided to cutaway.

My main and the free-bag was found closer to the DZ and the only cost I had, was the box of beer and the reserve pack.

But one thing don't have price. From now, when packing, I will never forget to check those lines properly.

For the newbies, try to learn from my mistake! The first cutawat, really scares...

here the link to the video:
www.bombaskydive.kit.net/cutaway_bl.mpg

And a picture, too:

Dang you took a long time reconizing the shit you had over your head. What Canopy are you jumping? Glad it wasn't any smaller or you didn't pull any lower.

Good thing was you didn't wait any longer trying to get stable after the chop! Great Job on keeping your handles ;)

(root) BEER! :D

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Dang you took a long time reconizing the shit you had over your head. What Canopy are you jumping? Glad it wasn't any smaller or you didn't pull any lower.

Good thing was you didn't wait any longer trying to get stable after the chop! Great Job on keeping your handles ;)

I'd be curious what altitude he pulled at and when he had a good reserve over his head. At first it just looked like line twists, I imagine I would have had the same reaction and tried to get out of them (on my canopy, anyway, which is pretty docile and not prone to spinning up). It looked to me like it wasn't spinning violently and had slowed him down enough to have time and altitude to make a decision. But I'm just guessing from my look at the video.

His profile says a Pilot 150 loaded at 1.27.

mazevedo ... I didn't hear any swearing on the video - you couldn't have been that freaked out! Good job and thanks for sharing the video with us.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I knew what kind of canopy you had the second I saw the video, because yours looks just like mine when it spins up... :P Something about purchasing the stock color patterns...:$ How do you like your pilot????

I have to admit, being that canopy was so "close to home" my heart is beating fast just looking at it... I actually have that "just jumped" rush with a lump in my tummy... I have had a few line twists reciently, so it really is fresh in my mind...

Good job... Now I just hope I can sleep tonight (I just put my canopy back in my rig after a demo of something a bit more sporty... I am flying to Eloy tomorrow, and I really don't want a mal, so I might repack it again to make sure I put the sucker on correctly... :S

Question... At 26 seconds or something like that we see two handles in your hands... Two seconds latter, your hands are on your reserve toggles... What did you do with the handles... Toss or in the mouth.;)

Something I learned.

The DZ owner had repacked the reserves and had reconnected the mains and did a line check. The mains had not yet been backed so I thought I would help him out. I knew that he had just reconnected the mains so (even though I check every pack job) I made a special point of doing a line check and packed up the main (I am a rigger to by the way)

Well, when the TI came down he told me he had nearly cut the main away because the risers had a twist and made the toggle more difficult to pull. But he landed great without incident.

Well, needless to say it bugged the shit out of me so I wondered how I (and the DZO) could miss this.

Here is how.....

The rig was laying on the ground with the 6 grommet slider laying on the risers. I grabbed the lines and walked them up and all was fine. Or so I thought.......the twist was below the riser:$[:/]

Stupid mistake? Argue it either way but it happened. I just wanted to put this out there because I learned I had a flaw in my technique...........but not anymore.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Dang you took a long time reconizing the shit you had over your head.

Didnt seem that way to me. It looked like ordinary line twists until they came apart and it was revealed as a more serious mal.

From that point it was only about 5 seconds till he cut away.

I say good reaction time and good decision.
__

My mighty steed

Dang you took a long time reconizing the shit you had over your head.

Didnt seem that way to me. It looked like ordinary line twists until they came apart and it was revealed as a more serious mal.

From that point it was only about 5 seconds till he cut away.

I say good reaction time and good decision.

I echo ChrisL, word for word.

Mazevedo, I'm curious whether you have an RSL, since your reserve was open very fast.

The other way to get out of that was cuting the line with my hook knife...

Someone else in here can (please, feel free to) correct me if I am wrong, but I have always been told that the cutting of A-lines would (probably) be a BAD idea. Have no personal or practical experience with that, but the thought of whipping out the hook knife on an A-line (step-through?) would have never occurred to me. I wouldn't trust the canopy as being "landable" after that. IMO you did just right by performing the EP's and I would NOT at this point "second guess" that.

Personally, my hook knife is pretty much there in case of line-over on my RESERVE, which I hope I will never have a hesitation to go to if my main by my hard deck were in almost any way, unlandable! In many ways, it is the LOW SPEED malfunction that gives me greater concern than the high-speed (mor obvious) ones. IMHO, do yourself a favor, and put away your "second guesses" there. You appeared to perform your EP's fully properly, and when indicated.

GOOD JOB!
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Hey Guys!

I will try to answer all your question.

My main was open at 2.300' and I really thought it was a simple line twist.

edited to add: Usually I pull at 3.500-3.000, but I was passing through some clouds when I was tracking, so I waited a little bit more and pulled around 2.700' - murphy's law....

When I saw the mess, two things came into my mind. Cutaway or hook knife. I left that hook knife idea away (if it was on my reserve, I probably wouldn't - I didn't know that thing about the A lines - thanks for the input...), so I decided to cutaway.

My reserve was open above 1.500'.

No, I did not have a RSL.

Someone asked about my handles. I grabed on the cables with my left hand.

The swearing? Well, I guess I was very concerned to take the right decison as quickly as possible. But I was screaming inside my head!!! .... I can't tell what I was screaming down here! :ph34r:

Thanks all for the feedback!

The other way to get out of that was cuting the line with my hook knife...

Someone else in here can (please, feel free to) correct me if I am wrong, but I have always been told that the cutting of A-lines would (probably) be a BAD idea.

Well, I successfully landed a Lightning with a broken A/B cascade one cell off-centre (hard opening/old lines - canopy is now relined!).

However, it only worked for me because a lot of things were in my favour, and I wouldn't advise it in other circumstances because...

- it was a stable square 7-cell and was fairly lightly loaded (about 1.2), plus the broken line was fairly central.
- I had from 7000' to see how it flew (sluggishly!) and try practice flares
- I still wasn't sure about it but thought I'd give it a go, but to be on the safe side dropped it into the middle of the pit and still thumped down even in deep gravel (stood it up though! B|)
- I was told by observers that just as I finished flaring the canopy collapsed

(Shame it buggered up the biplane diamond attempt though!)

Anyway, based on that experience I would agree that if you are looking at any main canopy with a lineover or broken/cut A-line at 2000' (especially if it is higher loaded or higher aspect ratio) I wouldn't waste time even thinking about trying to land it - just go straight for the handles.

If it's on your reserve, now that's a different argument...

Cheers,
Martin

My second landing ever was made with a broken A line. It was on the right hand side of the center cell of a manta 288 loaded close to 1 to 1. During free fall, directly following my first ever release, I went into a flat spin which my instructor knocked me out of momentarily. Just long enough for me to deploy the PC. Had a very hard opening, and a built in left turn under canopy, but nothing extreme. I had a very long time, in the saddle by 10,00ft, to be cautious and docile but had a uneventful, although on my ass landing

My second landing ever was made with a broken A line. It was on the right hand side of the center cell of a manta 288 loaded close to 1 to 1. During free fall, directly following my first ever release, I went into a flat spin which my instructor knocked me out of momentarily. Just long enough for me to deploy the PC. Had a very hard opening, and a built in left turn under canopy, but nothing extreme. I had a very long time, in the saddle by 10,00ft, to be cautious and docile but had a uneventful, although on my ass landing

Why didn't you chop it?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You need to check out skydivingmovies.com then!
Lot's of chop (and other skydiving related) videos there. Some of 'em not all quite so "smooth" either.

If you've gone this long without seeing a one, and take value in it as you say ...I'd check it out!

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone