Whamie

AFF Tradition

Hullo all!
I'm still a whuffo AFF student. I've looked at my calendar and planned out my last few jumps by the end of August (minus the wind tunnel practice).

I was wondering what the common practice/tradition for an AFF student after they pass their graduation jump from AFF status.

Do i buy beer for my instructor? Do i bring beer for the instructors that helped me along the way? A thank you card?
What is the common practice?

Thanks!

All you owe is a case of beer to the fridge and to keep jumping! Remember, a case is 24 not 12. Some people forget this and congratulations!

Don't buy crap ass beer.

Could just buy beer that you enjoy... The beer I enjoy just so happens to come in a 30 pack for $12. :)

All you owe is a case of beer to the fridge and to keep jumping! Remember, a case is 24 not 12. Some people forget this and congratulations!

Don't buy crap ass beer.

Could just buy beer that you enjoy... The beer I enjoy just so happens to come in a 30 pack for $12. :)

I would call that crap beer. Is this what skydiving has come to?[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Don't buy crap ass beer.

Sparky

If he likes it, it's not crap to him. I know quite a few people that actually like to drink PBR and would love that as their case... I may not agree that it's good but I'll still drink my free beer ;):D

Don't buy crap ass beer.

Sparky

If he likes it, it's not crap to him. I know quite a few people that actually like to drink PBR and would love that as their case... I may not agree that it's good but I'll still drink my free beer ;):D

I thought, as a rule, free beer is always good beer. Or is it the other way around? Hmmmm.

Water and Gatorade/Powerade work as well. Not all of us drink alcohol and it is nice to have a free cold drink in the afternoon before the beer light comes on.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Two points:

1. Google "beer rules skydiving"

2. Skydivers will piss and moan about whatever beer you bring but they will drink it no matter how cheap or evil it is.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ok, my AFF has taken longer than most due to a combination of age, vacation, small bad landing injury, and grandson time!
I did show up one Saturday night with a cooler full of mixed beer. Heineken, Busch, Mic Ultra, and Coors.
No beer left next morning ( slept at the DZ) but everyone seemed happy!!
I did find out the young man who packs the student rigs did not get much for the packs so I tipped him my next trip for each of my previous jumps!
In all it's just a mixed group of really good people!
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

I hate the "green bottle" rule. It seems to be mostly lagers in green bottles. I'm not the biggest lager fan. I'll drink it of course but I'd prefer a good hefe or a red head instead. There are plenty of good beers that come in other colored bottles.

Did you _read_ the footnotes? Geeeze.....

** Or other equally high-quality beer in other-colored bottles.

Remster

I hate the "green bottle" rule. It seems to be mostly lagers in green bottles. I'm not the biggest lager fan. I'll drink it of course but I'd prefer a good hefe or a red head instead. There are plenty of good beers that come in other colored bottles.

Did you _read_ the footnotes? Geeeze.....

** Or other equally high-quality beer in other-colored bottles.

I've heard it claimed in other places too. Not just your fancy written rules:P besides who reads footnotes??? ;)

F'ing youngins...

These are not _my_ beer rules. These are _the_ beer rules (Hi Wendy!).

Have some respect for tradition will ya! :P;)

If we followed tradition we wouldn't need beer rules. I've been told many a time "Back in my day you didn't order all these fancy craft beers. You ordered a beer and you got a beer. That was it. If you were lucky they had a choice between beer and light beer." :P I'll take my young-in beers thanks :P

>I hate the "green bottle" rule.

Here's some ammunition for you then:

Beer gets its bitterness from hops, specifically isomeric alpha-acids. Photons of certain wavelengths (specifically 200-500 nm) are energetic enough to break the bonds in these compounds, transforming them into compounds like 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol. This is very similar to the compound that skunks use to smell really bad.

Thus, you expose a beer to light (specifically UV and blue-green light) and it will get skunked. Beer is often drunk outside at DZ's, and green glass lets through plenty of blue and green light. Brown glass is much better; opaque glass or aluminum is ideal.