lopullterri

Line Twists

What would your reaction be, if someone who held a riggers rating and an instructors rating, packed you intentional line twists...TWICE...one time that caused you hard a cutaway? And then did it AGAIN (as a joke?) to a friend / customer?

By the way, you were jumping a high performance canopy and barely cut away before the AAD fired. Apparently the 'person' just did not learn from his "jokes"?
~"I am not afraid. I was born to do this"~

What would your reaction be, if someone who held a riggers rating and an instructors rating, packed you intentional line twists...TWICE...one time that caused you hard a cutaway? And then did it AGAIN (as a joke?) to a friend / customer?

By the way, you were jumping a high performance canopy and barely cut away before the AAD fired. Apparently the 'person' just did not learn from his "jokes"?

Learn to pack for yourself.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

General question: could they actually be arrested? (and whats the charge?)

My guess would be 'not likely'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

How do you know they packed you intentional L/twists.

If this is the person I think is, it was her husband and he TOLD her they were intentional and it was something aling the lines of "you think you're rready to jump a HP canopy - you should be able to kick out of linetwists".

Wanker.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Yes...that is how it was.

But I am curious what others would do...I, myself, did not realize how bad what he did was, until a skydiver friend recently said, "Oh my god, that so is F'd up". How stupid do I feel for allowing it? And apparently there are others out there who don't think this type of thing is a big deal?

Yes...that is how it was.

But I am curious what others would do...I, myself, did not realize how bad what he did was, until a skydiver friend recently said, "Oh my god, that so is F'd up". How stupid do I feel for allowing it? And apparently there are others out there who don't think this type of thing is a big deal?

I'm surprised that anyone didn't know how stupid so many in our sport are. And jump numbers have nothing to do with it......
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

No, in my view, you were totally taken advantage of.

Nobody should ever fuck with your gear without both your knkowledge and your permission, especially if it is to make it less effective than it was designed to be.

After all, our rigs are all we have to save our lives - it is literally that serious.

Totally unforgiveable.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

No, in my view, you were totally taken advantage of.

Nobody should ever fuck with your gear without both your knowledge and your permission, especially if it is to make it less effective than it was designed to be.

After all, our rigs are all we have to save our lives - it is literally that serious.

Totally unforgiveable.

+1

That whole scenario is pretty fuck up, kinda says something not real flattering about the person who would do that...TO anybody!

What's next, teaching how to down-shift by cutting the cars brake lines?

If I were she, I'd ask him if the name Jon Bobbit rings a bell...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Honestly...the Divorce is in the works. But what gets me is the fact that even though I have eyewitnesses to the first time (he admitted doing it) and eye witnesses to the time he did it to a customer / previous friend of mine (also causing a cutaway). Yet he has TONS of supporters who have never even met me...and they are even helping him hide finances. I have had skydivers tell me to let it go because he is a good guy. (Yet...they have never lived with him). Only recently has someone encouraged me to do something about it.

This is an honest "opinion seeking" poll and I do appreciate everyone's opinions...even the screwed up ones, because it does, after all, prove what I have said. He has skydivers SUPPORTING him on this and some other crazy stuff. It boggles the mind.

I have said it before and I will say it again. People disappoint the hell out of me on a daily basis.

wow. since your poll is seeking opinions, i'll chime in

i bet it WAS a rush....but would NOT ignore it.:|

and i wouldn't wanna see ANY woman get hurt so i'd suggest that you find a few guys who could "beat the crap outta him"...!!! FOR you....:)

i would press for him to absorb the Co$t of the new reserve repack... ( AND any other lost or unretrieved gear from the chop...)>:( and then be sure to have the repack DONE by his competitor...:P

i would threaten to "have them arrested" ... but stop short of doing so on impulse....
Tuck that move, in your back pocket for future leverage...
check on local statute of limitations...:|

I think i would report 'em to USPA,,, but only after a fair assessment of his past behavior.... If he's done screwy things in the past,,or unsafe things that were laughed off, or not addressed , could this be the last straw???
Depending on his level of remorse, and willingness to make restitution,, i'd consider your last choice.. FAA.:|
Anyone who intentionally packs line twists, sounds like a very poor rigger , to me...even IF they try to excuse it away,, as "presenting a Learning opportunity"... if THAT is the case then IMHO he is a Lousey Instructor TOO!!!>>>:|

good luck

jmy

A 3914
D 12122

General question - would the FAA pull a rigger's ticket for intentionally packing a mal? I assume they would.

That might be suitable, and righteous, recompense for such douchebaggery.

~ CanuckInUSA

It spun up so fast and hard that I had a hard time getting my hand to the handle due to g forces...then the one cable did not clear...had to pull it out by hand, So I would say that since I did deal with all of that...I was qualified.

then the one cable did not clear...had to pull it out by hand

That's nothing that the rigger can do to it. It's all a matter of the length of the cable running back to the riser release, and the length of your arm. If your arm is too short when pulling downward to get the cables clear of the end of the channel, then sweep your arm back outward like you're going into a spread-eagle position again. That'll create the extra distance needed to clear the cable.