dthames

Landing off, the hike back

it's best to find the biggest open space and land in the middle of it.

Haha, some of us fought that question out in another thread recently.

While the above advice is good and safe, my opinion was NOT to land way out in the middle of some damn field, that is muddy or filled with crops or even just easy pasture but a long walk. Land as close to the EDGE as you think advisable given your experience. Yes, edges of fields are filled with roads/ditches/fences/wires/buildings etc. Stay a safe distance away from them, especially to make up for any accuracy errors when landing away from the DZ with poor wind references. (Heck, if I did twist an ankle I'd rather not have to walk 1500' to the next road to be found.) But no need to land all the way out nowhere.

And that makes the hike back, easier.

The edge is also where you are more likely to find power lines, Power lines which are often almost impossible to see.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

50 MPH uppers that went down to about 1000 feet drove me way off the field Saturday morning. It was a bit wet and muddy. I had no place to do much arranging of my canopy to make the hike back easier. So I picked it up the best I could and started walking. I was getting hot and right after I took my long sleeved shirt off, I thought, "If I only had a bag", as something was always trying to slip away and drag on me. I shoved the main into my shirt, looped the sleeves around my chest strap and tied them. I came in with this big poofy shirt on my chest but both hands free.

I just wish I had thought of that right the beginning. I am sure there are other tips that some could post about making things easier if you are hiking with a rig and jumpsuit. Anyone care to share?

When you land way off at Summerfest - FedEx will pick you up and deliver you right back to the packing mat.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I was getting hot and right after I took my long sleeved shirt off,

No jumpsuit?

I've taken off my jumpsuit and stuffed the rig in there, then zipped it up and tied the arms and legs together. It made a pretty good gear bag. :)

No suit. I as testing my new tracking pants. It had rained the night before and it was wet and muddy everywhere. Taking the pants off requires removing my shoes. I opted for just walking "as is".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I as testing my new tracking pants.

Wow, it sounds like you can track pretty far in those. B|

:D

1.7 miles with about a 45 degree tailwind. Maybe turning back after about a half mile would have helped, but well, lesson learned.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

1.7 miles with about a 45 degree tailwind. Maybe turning back after about a half mile would have helped, but well, lesson learned.

Plot your navigation as a 90/90...spotting for a track is pretty important, particularly when you're wearing tracking pants or tracking suit. Trackers often go out after tandems, if their flight path is a 90/90.

it's best to find the biggest open space and land in the middle of it.

Haha, some of us fought that question out in another thread recently.

While the above advice is good and safe, my opinion was NOT to land way out in the middle of some damn field, that is muddy or filled with crops or even just easy pasture but a long walk. Land as close to the EDGE as you think advisable given your experience. Yes, edges of fields are filled with roads/ditches/fences/wires/buildings etc. Stay a safe distance away from them, especially to make up for any accuracy errors when landing away from the DZ with poor wind references. (Heck, if I did twist an ankle I'd rather not have to walk 1500' to the next road to be found.) But no need to land all the way out nowhere.

And that makes the hike back, easier.

We didn't fight it out, we had a reasonable and thoughtful discussion, didn't we? :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Plot your navigation as a 90/90...spotting for a track is pretty important, particularly when you're wearing tracking pants or tracking suit. Trackers often go out after tandems, if their flight path is a 90/90.

Just be careful with a 90/90. At our dz that will get you into trouble with the Chief instructor. Because not everyone tracks well and turns on heading correctly it can put someone back into other peoples airspace.

On the other hand if you are aware on the jump, there is nothing stopping you from simply falling vertical if you see the spot getting long...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Never jump without my cell phone and the number of manifest, particular at away from home DZs. Cell phone can come in very handy if there is an accident too!

Plus one on this!

When I had my last rig built, I had Mr. Booth and company add an ROL pouch to each legstrap. One of those pockets is for the cell phone when I'm jumping without any pockets. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

You sometimes can't see power lines before final, you can see poles, connect the dots and don't land in between them if possible.

Damn good advice. With a few exceptions, the MIDDLE of the field is usually the safest place to land, ref. fences, power lines, blackberry bushes, etc. :)

You sometimes can't see power lines before final, you can see poles, connect the dots and don't land in between them if possible.

Damn good advice. With a few exceptions, the MIDDLE of the field is usually the safest place to land, ref. fences, power lines, blackberry bushes, etc. :)

Unless there is a bad tempered bull in the field:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

While "the middle" is usually the safest, there was an interesting video that showed up here a couple years ago from Empuria I think: A small power line was strung diagonally across a field, with poles largely hidden in the treeline at the edges. That was a tough one to plan for or spot...

While "the middle" is usually the safest, there was an interesting video that showed up here a couple years ago from Empuria I think: A small power line was strung diagonally across a field, with poles largely hidden in the treeline at the edges. That was a tough one to plan for or spot...

We had a field like that at our old DZ's location about a mile north. Big open building lot with one power line going to the mobile home. Bit more than one jumper. [:/]

We used to specifically talk about that "out" in DZ briefings.

We had a field like that at our old DZ's location about a mile north. Big open building lot with one power line going to the mobile home. Bit more than one jumper. [:/]

We used to specifically talk about that "out" in DZ briefings.

Hi John

Had the same problem landing on a road once. The mainline and transformer was on one side of the road the feeder into the well house cut actoss the road.:$
One Jump Wonder