mattyblast

"Check in! Check out! Ready, set..."

My instructors don't do this with me anymore--just for the first 3 or 4 AFF levels. But I'm still curious.

When I did AFF Level 1, it was a call-and-answer:

Me: "CHECK IN!"
JM1: "Check in!"
Me: "CHECK OUT!"
JM2: "Check out!"
Me: "READY, SET Gooooaaaaaa......"

When I came back for Level 2, it was like this:

Me and JM1 together: "Check in!"
Me and JM2 together: "Check out!"
Me: "Ready, set gooooooo..."

So just out of curiosity, which way is the standard? Or is it different for every DZ or even for every JM?

(I did a search, and every result pertained to gear checks. :)
"DOOR!!!"

Whilst having 2 instructors mine was...

Q - Are you ready to skydive?
A - I was born ready!

Check in check in
Check out check out

Up, down, ARCH!

Was funny, a bit of humour and also pumps you up a little bit. Now I only do a count (up, down arch) if someone else is coming with me like camera flyer

Try looking for “hotel check”. It is a pretty standard term/technique used in AFF for two jumpmaster dives. The specifics of the response are not particularly important, just an affirmative response. I’ve been doing a lot of AFF jumps being the outside instructor on an Otter recently. I’m hanging outside of the plane in the wind so the student probably won’t hear me if I say anything. I let the students know on the ground that I will lean over and make eye contact with them and nod.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

We did:

Check out - OK!
Check in - OK!

Ready - set - go.

The details vary from DZ to DZ.

This is the way I learned it. Although I think on my first jump it went more like:
Check in - OK!
Check out - OK!
Ready - set - oh shittttttttttttttttttttttt
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

i use all the variations u can think of

anything to relax the student/ eg.

student called uda (his real name) shouts check in
i shout who da man replu u daman

outside reply is no UDA MAN!
any pulsed controled exit count will work
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

we tended ti use more relaxing steps.

The Reserve side would go outside and motion to the sutend to set up in the door,

then once set up, he looks inside and gets a nod from the Main side, deep breath, down, and out. No yelling, no extra tensing up.
Remster

My favorite student climbed out and turned to JM1 and said, "FUCK YOU". JM1 replyed, "OKAY", turned to JM2 and said "FUCK YOU". JM2 replyed, "OKAY". Ready, set fuuuuucckkkk!

That is the funniest thing I have heard today.

--------------------------------------------------
May the skys be blue, but never your balls!!!

I witnessed an AFF do

CHECKING IN exit.

I heard the cursing of the exiting main side JM from inside the plane (KA, so main side was inside during the debacle, which actually wound up going smoothly).

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

we tended to use more relaxing steps.

The Reserve side would go outside and motion to the student to set up in the door,

then once set up, he looks inside and gets a nod from the Main side, deep breath, down, and out. No yelling, no extra tensing up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed.
We use a similar exit count in Pitt Meadows.
outboard instructor: "Are you ready to skydive?"
student: "Yes!"
outboard instructor: "Follow me out"
Once outside the student looks at the inboard instructor, who nods "Okay!"
student looks forward, takes a deep breath, looks forward, rocks back (towards tail of airplane), rocks towards propeller and launches sideways.
Rocking is done at the same pace as the earlier breath, so that instructors can see and feel a rhythm.

We find the fewer words, the better.

As to whether a shouted 'challenge and response' is better ... it depends which student you get.

A littel off-topic but related...

1977..static line training…T-10s so spotting was a major issue.
There were 4 of us in the training course with my brother as JM.
He strongly emphasized to us the importance of getting out the door when he said GO.
First jump I was second in line out of the C47.
Brother spotting…looking...gives direction to Pilot “5 Left!”
First guy left the plane.
Of course he landed way off.
We called him “Lefty” forever after.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I witnessed an AFF do

CHECKING IN exit.

I heard the cursing of the exiting main side JM from inside the plane (KA, so main side was inside during the debacle, which actually wound up going smoothly).

Thats par for the course! I havent done tons of AFF jumps, but, you'll get the whole gammit of timing issues from falling off as soon as they are in the door, to hesitating after doing whatever count is agreed to.
Remster

Have done AFF1 twice (because of currency not cause I suck :P).

Did it at two places Hib in Uk and Zhills in Florida.

Hib taugh;
Check In
"OK"
Check Out
"OK"
Up
Down
Arch

Zhills taugh;
Check In
"OK"
Check Out
"OK"
Out
In
Arch

All actions were clear and done with nods (at both DZs) as you probably aware, "Ready Set Go" sound very much like "I don't want to Go"

Only reason for difference was because of door size on plane (was sat at hib).

BOOM Headshot

We did:

Check in - ok from JM
Horizon
Up
Down
ARCH!

And I found on the weekend when I'm doing a solo standard exit like that I STILL say to myself horizon, up, down ARCH! Sad isn't it? :D
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

We did:

Pretty funny, and very similar to what I did.

I was on static line for my first jump, and I didn't have any problem out on the step-even though I am usually thought of as scared of heights.

However, after I stepped off the plane, and I was in my few seconds of falling, I was thinking, Oh S**T, I am falling. I really laugh when I think of that now, I mean what did I think I was going to do? Not fall?

I heard a story of a lady who worked as a labor and delivery nurse for quite some time, then had her first child. I heard something to the effect of wow, her delivery was work, painful, or something like that and I thought, well what did you think? You had seen a few babies being delivered before, right?

Back to me, Scared Of Heights...maybe the falling part was not something I had thought about...I had thought about being on the outside of the plane, and wondering (hoping) that I wouldn't lock my hands on the strut. Thought about being on the step, but not the falling part? Who knows...but my thought of "Oh S**T, I am falling" is soooooooo funny to me.

Blue skies,

Jeff

This is the way I learned it. Although I think on my first jump it went more like:
Check in - OK!
Check out - OK!

Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

We did:

Pretty funny, and very similar to what I did.

I was on static line for my first jump, and I didn't have any problem out on the step-even though I am usually thought of as scared of heights.

However, after I stepped off the plane, and I was in my few seconds of falling, I was thinking, Oh S**T, I am falling. I really laugh when I think of that now, I mean what did I think I was going to do? Not fall?

I heard a story of a lady who worked as a labor and delivery nurse for quite some time, then had her first child. I heard something to the effect of wow, her delivery was work, painful, or something like that and I thought, well what did you think? You had seen a few babies being delivered before, right?

Back to me, Scared Of Heights...maybe the falling part was not something I had thought about...I had thought about being on the outside of the plane, and wondering (hoping) that I wouldn't lock my hands on the strut. Thought about being on the step, but not the falling part? Who knows...but my thought of "Oh S**T, I am falling" is soooooooo funny to me.

Blue skies,

Jeff

Check in - OK!
Check out - OK!

Actually I'm surprised the 'oh shit' response isn't more common.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...