jclalor

Jumping in 110 degree heat; The Pros and Cons.

jclalor

I see plenty of cons, are there any pros?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Davis+CA+95616

The pro is that Skydance is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so it'll "only" be 107 when the DZ's open.:D:D

There's a reason I'm not at the DZ this weekend; unless it's a boogie or I've committed to something else (training or organizing) I can usually find a better way to spend the day (usually at home where it's significantly cooler). That said, when it's 100+ on the ground, it's rather refreshing at altitude. You can slip around the sky trying to make a no-jumpsuit dive work, which is amusing to say the least when you have a bunch of people who are rarely without their grippers and booties.

Super hot days are phenomenal for cross-country jumps, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's cooler at altitude and nice if you can get a hop 'n pop at the top in. Id say thats damn near about it.

Youll probably be packing in the heat, riding thermals and catching turbulence under canopy. And even dodging dust devils which can potentially kill or maim. Aircraft performance is degraded. Eloy manages to crank out 18-20 loads before noon on a lot of days during the summer which is almost as many as my home DZ during perfect weather on a weekend day.

NWFlyer

***I see plenty of cons, are there any pros?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Davis+CA+95616

The pro is that Skydance is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so it'll "only" be 107 when the DZ's open.:D:D

There's a reason I'm not at the DZ this weekend; unless it's a boogie or I've committed to something else (training or organizing) I can usually find a better way to spend the day (usually at home where it's significantly cooler). That said, when it's 100+ on the ground, it's rather refreshing at altitude. You can slip around the sky trying to make a no-jumpsuit dive work, which is amusing to say the least when you have a bunch of people who are rarely without their grippers and booties.

Super hot days are phenomenal for cross-country jumps, too.

One of my favorite jumps was a no-touch 8 way round with everyone in shorts and t-shirts. Close enough to take up grips but didn't. Held it like that for 30+ seconds, on a sunset beach jump. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One of the best jumps I ever had was a sunset cross country on a scorching hot day. Took close to an hour to get the 206 all the way to altitude with all of us fatasses on board, but we deployed out the door, enjoyed a tasty beverage under canopy, and felt the delicious cool air at altitude… then the poor fuckers without the good glide ratio like mine had to walk back to the DZ :D

cavete terrae.

Maksimsf

Jumping is not a problem, but packing... Your sweat is going to be all over your canopy. I got really bad headache this weekend, never again. Not fun at all, unless you do high pull and stay in half breaks...

Dehydrated. Don't do that!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***Jumping is not a problem, but packing... Your sweat is going to be all over your canopy. I got really bad headache this weekend, never again. Not fun at all, unless you do high pull and stay in half breaks...

yup that's what causes the head aches. I used to forget to drink and got sore muscles and headaches all the time. Not anymore. I make a couple of litres of Gatorade, and have that with me all day:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

pros...??

you can leave your altimeter on the ground,,, and then, in freefall, just wait til you FEEL the warm air... and pull....;)

Cons...? a bunch...
Real heat is an issue, at least for me...
I was jumping @ Skydive Carolina for skyfest, the year that it Hit a Hundred....
THAT was rough...I made the mistake of drinking TWO complimentary Red Bulls, within about a half an hour of each other...... Never tried them, before.....[:/]..anyway. right after landing and setting my gear down,,,, things got alllll flashy and zoomie,,, and I WAS seeing Stars!!!! had to lay right down,,,, and set up a fan.[:/]:(

that scenario scared me, and was a real wake-up Call...
IF it's HOT.....Hydrate,, starting WELL before arriving at the DZ...

Squeak

******Jumping is not a problem, but packing... Your sweat is going to be all over your canopy. I got really bad headache this weekend, never again. Not fun at all, unless you do high pull and stay in half breaks...

yup that's what causes the head aches. I used to forget to drink and got sore muscles and headaches all the time. Not anymore. I make a couple of litres of Gatorade, and have that with me all day:)

The next step after the headache is you usually QUIT sweating...that means the tank is EMPTY and you're about to vapor lock.

We use to end up walking around hot tarmacs with dark colored jumpsuits for hours at a time under the hot midday sun in the course of performing PR duties at certain airshows...I got real good at spotting people about to down. They never seem to realize what's happening, when it's happening.

If you don't have to pee...you're not drinking enough water!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

skybytch

Please! It's hydrate or die in this kind of heat.

100 degree plus days are an excellent time to help a packer pay their rent.

I find it really tough to drink enough on the super-hot days. When I was out at Byron last month when it was 107, over the course of about 10-11 hours, I went through 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of water, plus coconut water, potassium tabs, salty snacks etc. (so I was hydrated, and keeping my electrolytes balanced) and I still wound up with a brutal headache at the end of the day. Jumping is supposed to be fun, and days like that I don't have fun. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I drank about two liters of water over the course of five hours yesterday and it was hot as balls. I'm sure that wasn't nearly enough to be properly hydrated, and another jumper and I were debating how much water you'd need to drink per hour in order to be hydrated by the book. I'm guessing one liter an hour?

Either way any day jumping is a good day to me. Whether it's extra hot or extra cold it's just part of the deal. So long as you are not hindered from being able to conduct all your procedures just accept it as part of the sport and enjoy it.

Just don't fly your base leg directly over the taxi way center line unless you want to go for a ride!