1 1
brenthutch

NPR and saying the quiet part out loud

(edited)

“In October 2020, NPR public editor Kelly McBride responded to a listener who asked why NPR had not reported on scandals surrounding Hunter Biden, including business connections he made overseas. That same month, the New York Post had dropped its reporting on Biden's laptop, which was then suppressed by Big Tech giants Facebook and Twitter, and dismissed as Russian disinformation by numerous outlets. (Including NPR)

McBride claimed there are "many, many red flags in that New York Post investigation" and Intelligence officials have warned "that Russia has been working overtime" to keep the story in the news.”

Edited by brenthutch

From the New York Post 4/13/24

“The NPR battle went public when veteran journalist Uri Berliner wrote an essay condemning what he called the “lack of viewpoint diversity” in his workplace. 

He checked the political registrations of editorial colleagues in Washington, DC, and found 87 were registered Democrats, and none were registered Republicans.”

Bingo!

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is what you said last time I proved you wrong :rofl:

No, that's what I said last time you simply made something up that wasn't in your source. Remember you were saying Uri's letter stated that NPR called the Hunter laptop a Russian hoax? That was a lie.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

He checked the political registrations of editorial colleagues in Washington, DC, and found 87 were registered Democrats, and none were registered Republicans.”

Bingo!

Yes, there are 87 registered Democrats. Where does it say there are a total of 87 editors?

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

No, that's what I said last time you simply made something up that wasn't in your source. Remember you were saying Uri's letter stated that NPR called the Hunter laptop a Russian hoax? That was a lie.

Yes, there are 87 registered Democrats. Where does it say there are a total of 87 editors?

English must not be your first language and clearly you have no idea what NPR is, at this point I am just wrestling with a pig. 

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

English must not be your first language and clearly you have no idea what NPR is, at this point I am just wrestling with a pig. 

If english is your first language then what's your excuse?

You keep posting the same statement over and over again as if it will suddenly become convincing through sheer weight of numbers. It says there are 87 democrats. It says there are 0 republicans. It doesn't say there are 0 independents. It doesn't say there are 87 editorial staff and they are all democrats. 

The funny thing is I don't know what it gains you to die on this hill. You could easily say you simply misread it but still, 87 to zero is pretty damn bad anyway. But you can't do that, you can't give an inch no matter what. Although I suppose it is still a good distraction so you won't have to talk about NPRs lack of coverage of Trump White House corruption and influence peddling.

41 minutes ago, jakee said:

If english is your first language then what's your excuse?

You keep posting the same statement over and over again as if it will suddenly become convincing through sheer weight of numbers.

never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Source:  https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/psychological-analysis-of-hitler-s-life-and-legend-2

17 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And some people never saw a dead horse that didn't need a few more blows

Wendy P.

Horses here don't die. They absorb the blows and come back for another round. Again and again as if no one ever learns.

44 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Horses here don't die. They absorb the blows and come back for another round. Again and again as if no one ever learns.

How strange, I thought she was referring to the flogger not the floggee.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Oh, no. They die.

Then they get beaten some more. 

And more.
And more.

Brent never admits being wrong. Ever.

Jakee never lets go. Ever.

I'm usually good for a couple smartass comments.

And eventually you have a 'horse smoothie'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, billvon said:

He would have to admit he was wrong - and that's not something he can do.

Wrong about what?  That an NPR staffer and self described liberal Democrat said that there were 87 Democrats and zero Republicans on the DC editorial staff. Or that they falsely reported that intelligence agencies claimed the Hunter Biden laptop was Russian disinformation AKA hoax?  News flash THEY DID.

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Wrong about what?  That an NPR staffer and self described liberal Democrat said that there were 87 Democrats and zero Republicans on the DC editorial staff. 

You have said you understand that people exist who are neither registered republicans nor registered democrats... yet you still insist that the sum of all people must equal republicans plus democrats only.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

You have said you understand that people exist who are neither registered republicans nor registered democrats... yet you still insist that the sum of all people must equal republicans plus democrats only.

Clearly you don't count people who don't count.

(edited)
4 hours ago, jakee said:

Never said it. But let’s say the editorial staff at NPR consisted of 87 Democrats and 500+ independents and zero Republicans. The point you are unable to wrap your brain around is that would still lack diversity. (I’m starting to believe I am conversing with Simple Jack)

Edited by brenthutch

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Wrong about what?  That an NPR staffer and self described liberal Democrat said that there were 87 Democrats and zero Republicans on the DC editorial staff. Or that they falsely reported that intelligence agencies claimed the Hunter Biden laptop was Russian disinformation AKA hoax?  News flash THEY DID.

If the mandate of NPR is to report facts wouldn't republicans be excluded by definition?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Or that they falsely reported that intelligence agencies claimed the Hunter Biden laptop was Russian disinformation AKA hoax?  News flash THEY DID.

Show it. Show where NPR reported that. Should be simple, you keep claiming it.

Funny thing in all of this is, that even with all this supposed liberal bias, NPR is still a much better source for factual reporting than anything with a supposed conservative bias.

There are a fair number of right leaning media outlets, which one of them would you hold up as providing generally correct reporting? Yet many of those networks seem to be financially doing very well.

Which leads me to my opinion, counter to Berliner, that the drop in consumers for NPR is likely more because they are NOT sensationalizing things, than because of diversity and inclusion or not posting Hunter Biden dick pics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Never said it. 

That is categorically a lie. You said it, and have been defending it ever since.

Also he is an editor at NPR and all 88 editors at NPR are Democrats

But let’s say the editorial staff at NPR consisted of 87 Democrats and 500+ independents and zero Republicans. The point you are unable to wrap your brain around is that would still lack diversity. (I’m starting to believe I am conversing with Simple Jack)

Dude - I just told you that was the point you could have been making this whole time instead of refusing to back down from the thing you obviously got wrong. You were so hell bent on defending your corner that you failed to wrap your brain around the implication of your numbers.

Problem is, it just goes straight back to the point I made earlier - your own source says that it was Donald Trump who changed everything. Since 2016, how many conservatives would want to work for an organisation that would ask them to cover Trump in an unbiased manner? Unfortunately there appear to be very few around, they'd all rather win the White House than save their party.

59 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Funny thing in all of this is, that even with all this supposed liberal bias, NPR is still a much better source for factual reporting than anything with a supposed conservative bias.

There are a fair number of right leaning media outlets, which one of them would you hold up as providing generally correct reporting? Yet many of those networks seem to be financially doing very well.

Which leads me to my opinion, counter to Berliner, that the drop in consumers for NPR is likely more because they are NOT sensationalizing things, than because of diversity and inclusion or not posting Hunter Biden dick pics.

I think there is also a fairly large reduction in the number of people listening to radio - streaming is much better in many cases - especially the audio quality. NPR is hit and miss via streaming services - or those I'm familiar with I suppose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

That presupposes that the audience from ten years ago was full of folks pining for tabloid journalism and Hunter Biden dick picks, when what actually happened was after the election of Trump, NPR programming went woke.  Going overboard with queer, urban and climate crazy displacing the quirky and interesting stories they had been known for. As a longtime NPR listener (since the Clinton era) I can testify to this firsthand