brenthutch

The Hidden Brain

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/escaping-the-matrix/

The right/left divide explained and why secular liberal girls suffer the most from anxiety and depression. 

Fascinating stuff, worth listening to.

Good for you, a PBS show. Jonathon Haidt gave a TED talk in 2008 that sounded smart and ended with the claim that enlightened liberals could by means of moral humility find common ground with conservatives. Well, that didn't age well. He was talking some light lifting with understanding Bush conservatives, of course, not MAGA. 

I did like this prescient slide he posted at the beginning of his talk though:

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 12.39.00 PM.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The right/left divide explained and why secular liberal girls suffer the most from anxiety and depression. 

Did the author explain why conservatives suffer from delusions, loss of power anxiety and cult susceptibility syndrome?

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Did the author explain why conservatives suffer from delusions, loss of power anxiety and cult susceptibility syndrome?

No, they only covered why conservatives are more happy and less susceptible to depression and anxiety disorders than their left leaning brethren.

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No, they only covered why conservatives are more happy and less susceptible to depression and anxiety disorders than their left leaning brethren.

So a biased and cherry picking study then? I thought so.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Because they are less imaginative and that is a consistent finding, according to Haidt, across societies. Go figure.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

So a biased and cherry picking study then? I thought so.

Actually listen to the podcast before spouting off

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Because they are less imaginative and that is a consistent finding, according to Haidt, across societies. Go figure.

That’s true, however, it is the lefties overactive imagination that is at the root of their depression and anxiety. Nonstop catastrophizing over problems that don’t exist will make anyone unhappy.

Edited by brenthutch

22 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Hidden brain has done literally DOZENS of shows on happiness.....  of course you pick the one that suits your narrative.

That’s true, however, it is the lefties overactive imagination that is at the root of their depression and anxiety. Nonstop catastrophizing over problems that don’t exist will make anyone unhappy.

But it does not lead to a reliance on the past to feel comfort or a desire for authority figures to hold your hand and make you feel safe and with social value by harming others.

(edited)
1 hour ago, tkhayes said:

Hidden brain has done literally DOZENS of shows on happiness.....  of course you pick the one that suits your narrative.

I picked the one that was on NPR on Sunday.  This wasn’t a “slam the stupid lefties” post, in fact the author is a self described progressive. As a father of a 15 year old daughter, I was particularly interested in the devastating impact of social media on young girls. I shared it to provide some insight. More light than heat if you will.

Edited by brenthutch

8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I picked the one that was on NPR on Sunday.  This wasn’t a “slam the stupid lefties” post, in fact the author is a self described progressive. As a father of a 15 year old daughter, I was particularly interested in the devastating impact of social media on young girls. I shared it to provide some insight. More light than heat if you will.

Are you raising her to be a Tradwife or something, well, more liberal?

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Actually listen to the podcast before spouting off

I guess, then, it's the righties' lack thereof that leads to a smug sense of superiority.

Wendy P.

47 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I guess, then, it's the righties' lack thereof that leads to a smug sense of superiority.

Yep.  And as an instructor, there is nothing more terrifying than a student who has no fear because he has no imagination, and has that smug sense of superiority that they will be fine, and all the stuff I talk about is just scare tactics.  If they're lucky they get to the point where they say "wow, this is dangerous/hard/complicated!" - at which point I know they're probably going to be OK.

(Or, to use BH's terminology, when they get to the point where their "overactive imaginations" and "nonstop catastrophizing over problems that don’t exist" allow them to anticipate those problems BEFORE they end up under a pilot chute in tow - or worse.)

(edited)
2 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  And as an instructor, there is nothing more terrifying than a student who has no fear because he has no imagination, and has that smug sense of superiority that they will be fine, and all the stuff I talk about is just scare tactics.  If they're lucky they get to the point where they say "wow, this is dangerous/hard/complicated!" - at which point I know they're probably going to be OK.

(Or, to use BH's terminology, when they get to the point where their "overactive imaginations" and "nonstop catastrophizing over problems that don’t exist" allow them to anticipate those problems BEFORE they end up under a pilot chute in tow - or worse.)

I was referring to the typical imaginary lefty hobgoblins: Systematic racism, the patriarchy, overpopulation, catastrophic climate change, mass extinction and I’ll even throw in the very scary sounding “Doomsday Glacier”

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)

I was referring to the typical imaginary lefty hobgoblins: Systematic racism, the patriarchy, overpopulation, catastrophic climate change, mass extinction and I’ll even throw in the very scary sounding “Doomsday Glacier”

It's systemic racism as opposed to the systematic denial of timelines or social injustices, for example. BTW how's that border hysteria going?

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Ask Al Sharpton

No, I asked you, thank you. So this open border with Mexico problem, do you think it might partly be due to the indelicate manner in which we adjusted the border? You know how water levels between containers, yes? I don't know, but I'll guess Mexico would be happy to help with border control a little farther north than most folks in Texas would think is right. Might also explain why California is less tight assed about it than say Mifflin County, PA.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 2.15.39 PM.png

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

It's systemic racism as opposed to the systematic denial of timelines or social injustices, for example. BTW how's that border hysteria going?

I hate the common misuse of that word as well.

5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I hate the common misuse of that word as well.

This is really funny since in another thread, Brent was trying to insinuate that I needed to use google to look up a common word for female sheep.

He really needs to brush up his vocabulary.

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

imaginary lefty hobgoblins: Systematic racism, the patriarchy

Yup, says an old white man these problems don't exist! I guess we can all go home now, nothing to see here :rofl:

• Like 1