xijonix

Tandem student wearing a handcam.

I wouldn't allow it. It's been hashed over here before. Most TIs and DZs agree it's a bad idea. But there are some who encourage it and claim no problems so far.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

xijonix

This picture popped up on reddit a few days ago. You can clearly see the student wearing a go-pro handcam. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

probably someone helping a friend get their rating. I went on a tandem a few weeks ago to help my friend graduate but I wasn't having as much fun as this guy tandems are scary.
BASE 1519

As gowlerk said, it has been discussed here a few times.

That being said, I have had my students wear the handcam before (DZ was giving the videos away free). The videos are almost always crap!! The student usually doesn't think about where it is pointing. Even after you put it in their face, they tend to move it.

Hell, look at the pic you posted. What is he getting a shot of... the back of his head.

xijonix

This picture popped up on reddit a few days ago. You can clearly see the student wearing a go-pro handcam. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

As if handcam isn't already shitty enough value compared to outside video, now the customer has to do everything himself?
cavete terrae.

Looking closely at the picture, note that the pax GoPro is mounted on a home-made rig that appears to be an altimeter wrist mount modified for the camera.
Could it really be that the DZ would provide this camera for a student?

DSE

Looking closely at the picture, note that the pax GoPro is mounted on a home-made rig that appears to be an altimeter wrist mount modified for the camera.
Could it really be that the DZ would provide this camera for a student?

And some potentially nasty sharp edges in the mount to inflict injury as well :S.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.