brenthutch

California’s Plastic Bag Ban Backfires

(edited)
1 hour ago, olofscience said:

But you're laughing at the damage. I need to emphasise: you're laughing at the damage.

You're not laughing at just the progressives any more. You delight in the damage.

No, the damage wrought by progressive policies is infuriating. What I am laughing at is also a homophone for a female sheep. (I’ll give you a few hours to google it)

Edited by brenthutch

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No, the damage wrought by progressive policies is infuriating. What I am laughing at is also a homophone for a female sheep. (I’ll give you a few hours to google it)

Seriously? Hours? Try seconds and no search engines. 

53 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Seriously? Hours? Try seconds and no search engines. 

I know you know Joe, but it was not you to whom I was referring. The youngsters have to depend upon technology to make up for their lack of experience and knowledge.

was referring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

You'd have a point it he started a thread with a giant photo of a pile of trash without any other context, and said "BWHAHAHAHAHA!"

He already told you who he's "laughing" at and why, and it's not the damage, you know he's not and everyone else knows he's not, so stop acting like a typical gen z tik-toker and get over it.

You're quite misinformed about Brent's record of making honest arguments here.

And it's not like this is the first time he's done it either. He DOES laugh at the damage, and he's just denying it, and you're also mistaken about how "everyone else knows he's not" exactly because of this. And yes, I do have proof. Go ahead, ask for it.

What's ironic about these types of things is how many products are available in a grocery store with plastic packaging.

I believe somewhere was a manufacturer of these heavy plastic bags that lobbied for this rule.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

What's ironic about these types of things is how many products are available in a grocery store with plastic packaging.

I believe somewhere was a manufacturer of these heavy plastic bags that lobbied for this rule.

So to Ken and Wendy, so where are you at? Is it just knowing about the process that you enjoy or, well, take a guess.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

So to Ken and Wendy, so where are you at? Is it just knowing about the process that you enjoy or, well, take a guess.

If I were to decide on the narrow issue of single use plastic bag bans I would be against them. If you prefer to use reusables more power to you. If you operate a retail store and want to refuse to supply them, more power to you. I don't favour bans. I also stand in favour of more clearly worded questions than the one quoted.

I live where there's a generally-supported ban. Yes, plastic came back during the pandemic, and it's largely gone again. 

One of our personal efforts is the reduction of single-use plastics as we buy stuff, and the reuse of bags we do get. Can't do it all the time, but it sops up a little of that overflowing conscience.

Wendy P. 

11 hours ago, airdvr said:

I just opened a pack of metal pick tools I ordered from Amazon. I needed sheers to cut the plastic packaging. Change will come slowly. Companies invest heavily in the packaging machines by purchase or long term contract. Often, they also contract for the plastic feed stock. So they get locked in for long periods of time and it's mostly invisible to consumers. Plastic bags are out there and in the public eye, if not choking a turtle then at least in the gutter along the highway. Low hanging fruit.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

I live where there's a generally-supported ban. Yes, plastic came back during the pandemic, and it's largely gone again. 

One of our personal efforts is the reduction of single-use plastics as we buy stuff, and the reuse of bags we do get. Can't do it all the time, but it sops up a little of that overflowing conscience.

Wendy P. 

We don’t have single use bags in our house. After I bring home the groceries I put them in a drawer for subsequent use. We use them for waste baskets liners and dog poop pickup duties. Does your community reuse dog poop bags or are they a bunch of virtue signaling hypocrites? A handmade grocery satchel made from hemp weaved by native Americans when flexing virtue at Whole Foods but one and done when cleaning up after Fido.

Edited by brenthutch

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

If I were to decide on the narrow issue of single use plastic bag bans I would be against them. If you prefer to use reusables more power to you. If you operate a retail store and want to refuse to supply them, more power to you. I don't favour bans. I also stand in favour of more clearly worded questions than the one quoted.

Yes, my question sucked in both form and content. I am not opposed to plastic bag bans because they are damaging trash and easily done without. Better to use trash that is less damaging even when picking up after your miserable dog that ran out into the landing area to crap. One of the most amazing places to scuba on the planet is the coral triangle in Indonesia. Converging nutrient flows deliver huge amounts of food and also tons of plastic crap. I've made several hundred dives there over several years with some breaks between trips. Towards the end I'd have my pouches filled with crap after an hour or so and was also often distracted by plastic junk in the current behind me. So I watched it getting worse and worse destroying something very much worth saving. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I know you know Joe, but it was not you to whom I was referring. The youngsters have to depend upon technology to make up for their lack of experience and knowledge.

was referring.

The fact you claim to have an MBA and couldn't figure out percentages, while typing at a computer, makes this post very funny.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Does your community reuse dog poop bags or are they a bunch of virtue signaling hypocrites?

My community uses bio degradable poop bags. Is that virtue signaling or woke? I can't keep track.

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

The fact you claim to have an MBA and couldn't figure out percentages, while typing at a computer, makes this post very funny.

Didn’t need to figure out percentages, only needed to know that a growing economy, by definition, is not in recession. A simple fact that eluded Kallend.  I was right, Kallend was wrong and NEBR backed me up.

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

My community uses bio degradable poop bags. Is that virtue signaling or woke? I can't keep track.

If they are green - virtue signaling.  If they are black or unisex - woke.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

If they are green - virtue signaling.  If they are black or unisex - woke.

We typically have clear or blue bags for recycling, black for regular household trash.

Now I'm confused. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, winsor said:

Gender is a grammatical construct.

In German, die Tasche is feminine.

But is not der Tasche masculine? I'm probably missing an obvious point but lot's of languages have gender rules, Thai for example.

(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

So you agree there is more than 2 genders....cool.

Der, die oder das. Ganz einfach.

Der Kitzler is clitoris (masculine).  'Man in the boat' perhaps?

Edited by winsor