BrianSGermain

Must See Video: "Helmet Cutaway Idea" by Brian Germain

johnmatrix

What is so hard about BUYING an actual helmet with an actual cutaway system?
"Boo hoo, it costs money! WAAA! WAAA! All I have is this full face, GoPro 3, freefly suit, and entire set of skydiving gear, I can't afford another helmet! No wait - WAIT - I'll use a piece of string to address this potentially lethal problem and spend the rest of my money on a few jump tickets and cases of beer! YOLO lololololololOMG rofl"

:)

A few minutes later we got the next example of being a dick adding no value.
Your post is not funny. If you don't like the idea, buy a cutaway system and be happy.

BTW: using this system with the spring outside the helmet can/will cause an addiditonal snag hazard.
http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/bonehead-cutaway-chincup-kit

DivingWombat

***What is so hard about BUYING an actual helmet with an actual cutaway system?
"Boo hoo, it costs money! WAAA! WAAA! All I have is this full face, GoPro 3, freefly suit, and entire set of skydiving gear, I can't afford another helmet! No wait - WAIT - I'll use a piece of string to address this potentially lethal problem and spend the rest of my money on a few jump tickets and cases of beer! YOLO lololololololOMG rofl"

:)

A few minutes later we got the next example of being a dick adding no value.
Your post is not funny. If you don't like the idea, buy a cutaway system and be happy.

BTW: using this system with the spring outside the helmet can/will cause an addiditonal snag hazard.

It's not meant to be funny. It's shocking how people will rush out and spend money on the latest camera and then bitch about the cost of a cutaway system.

I've seen one full camera setup (SLR and side box) with no cutaway, and the proliferation of G3's with Gopros right on top is scary. I wonder how long it is before we have a serious injury or death, due to this?

I can't watch Brian's video, but a cutaway system doesn't have to be expensive to be functional, so if he's come up with a clever use for a piece of string that works, fantastic!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Just to clarify it wasn't meant to be a dig at Brian, I like his videos, and like reading these discussions.
But I think this solution is for people who just can't be fucked to buy the right gear.
Having said that, virtually everyone at my DZ jumps a GoPro without a cutaway system once they have 100 jumps and none of them have gone in (skydiving) yet, so maybe it's not an issue.

virtually everyone at my DZ jumps a GoPro without a cutaway system once they have 100 jumps and none of them have gone in (skydiving) yet, so maybe it's not an issue.

Uh, pardon me for not being persuaded by your research/analysis methodology.

DivingWombat

Actually I have this system, and for anyone looking for a complete helmet cutaway i would recommend it. It's very easy to install and use. Since the spring is compressed when installed it does not present any snag hazard.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Jim Crouch at USPA is the best person for statistics, but in my travels worldwide, I have been made aware of several this year. One is too many. Are you willing to go in to prove yourself wrong? I am, for one, am not.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

How many fatalities have there been in the last 5 years from entanglement with helmets? Last 10?

Many or most fatalities are caused by a chain of events. A helmet entanglement can be a nasty link in that chain. How many people had an entanglement but survived it because they had an AAD? Remove as many of the possible links as you can.
Owned by Remi #?

FreeFallFiend

Actually I have this system, and for anyone looking for a complete helmet cutaway i would recommend it. It's very easy to install and use. Since the spring is compressed when installed it does not present any snag hazard.

Would you mind to post a picture? I tried to mount it like designed and there was a pretty big gap between the wahser and the helmet. I modified the setup and mounted the spring inside.

johnmatrix

Having said that, virtually everyone at my DZ jumps a GoPro without a cutaway system once they have 100 jumps and none of them have gone in (skydiving) yet, so maybe it's not an issue.

floormonkey

This can save lives. Lots of 'em.

How many fatalities have there been in the last 5 years from entanglement with helmets? Last 10?

Even if it was one.
Both are not accurate samples to disregard a super-simple and effective idea that probably costs 3 dollars and can be made by virtually anyone else in less than, I don't know, 20 minutes at most. And that includes gathering the necessary tools/material. I would understand if Brian was trying to sell you something or make a profit out of a string, a screw, a nut and two washers, instead of just spreading an idea pretty much for free. Seriously, people...

Back on topic.
My only concern is that, well, like with everything you add to your system, you might never know the interactions. I'm an aerospace engineer and naturally very cautious with every "non-standard" modification that is done to complex systems.
In this case, I think my main concern would be that the little extra string is an entangle problem itself, as it might get caught while climbing out, or during frefall, RW, etc. The likely outcome would be to lose the helmet (yes, not a big deal, risk largely compensated by that one time it might save your life, but maybe worth considering if there is an alternative way to route the string and maybe to mitigate this risk). But depending on how the tangle goes, it might pull in the other direction, lock up the whole thing, and the you would run, well, into some problems.

Just my 2c.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Great points. Thanks for that.

For me it's a case of selecting the safest possible mounting point, reducing the snag hazard as much as I can, and then - and only then - looking at options which MAY assist an escape if needed.

Brian's idea fits the bill. Thanks for sharing free of charge, Brian!

If Cookie comes up with a user-friendly G3 retrofit cutaway, I will buy it.

For all the reasons mentioned already, it's better to reduce the snag risk first! No point cutting away the helmet if my neck is already broken.

Brian's idea fits the bill. Thanks for sharing free of charge, Brian!

Except that Fastex type buckles will probably not release when under load.

If you rely on being able to open a buckle like this when suspended by a entanglement on your helmet (either by normal operation, or Brian's jesus string), you'll be wasting time you could use to save yourself.
Remster

Do you think it would be feasible to use a hook knife in a situation where you needed to get rid of your helmet?
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

No.
First, hook knives have a fairly short bite on the blade, good for cutting small lines, but good luck trying to cut a fairly thick chin strap, it won't even probably fit inside the grove of most hook knives. And you'll have to do that without being able to see, since it's under your chin line.
And those strap materials are quite resistant and sturdy to abrasion, it will take you a long time: you'll probably spend the rest of your life trying to cut that chin strap, also because there really isn't much room to move the blade up and down in that position, isn't it? Actually, by the shape of the blade and the size and material of the strap, I doubt a normal person would be able at all. It would require a lot of strength on the knife and a lot of tension the strap to do it, since you can't slide the blade anywhere in that circumstance.
Also, fiddling with a blade around your neck, even if it has a protection on it, while being tossed in the air by a spinning canopy because of the entanglement, is not my idea of fun. Chicks do dig scars though.

At our experience level, hook-knives are always best left in their pocket. I'll probably buy one for superstition, and probably start considering real uses when (if) I'll be experienced enough to do CReW and stuff like that. Until then, it's only good for "cool points" on my rig.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

Di0

No.
First, hook knives have a fairly short bite on the blade, good for cutting small lines, but good luck trying to cut a fairly thick chin strap, it won't even probably fit inside the grove of most hook knives. And you'll have to do that without being able to see, since it's under your chin line.
And those strap materials are quite resistant and sturdy to abrasion, it will take you a long time: you'll probably spend the rest of your life trying to cut that chin strap, also because there really isn't much room to move the blade up and down in that position, isn't it? Actually, by the shape of the blade and the size and material of the strap, I doubt a normal person would be able at all. It would require a lot of strength on the knife and a lot of tension the strap to do it, since you can't slide the blade anywhere in that circumstance.
Also, fiddling with a blade around your neck, even if it has a protection on it, while being tossed in the air by a spinning canopy because of the entanglement, is not my idea of fun. Chicks do dig scars though.

At our experience level, hook-knives are always best left in their pocket. I'll probably buy one for superstition, and probably start considering real uses when (if) I'll be experienced enough to do CReW and stuff like that. Until then, it's only good for "cool points" on my rig.

Me thinks you need to get a bit more educated on hook knives, helmets and cameras.

There are 2 really simple solutions:

1) Don't jump a camera. 99% of peoples camera footage is crap and unwatched anyway.
2) Get a proper camera setup for when you need it. Nobody needs a full face helmet AND a camera on the same jump.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

A quality (not plastic) hook knife is designed to cut through webbing like seat belts as well as lines so it would cut through a chin strap without much trouble but.... doing it without looking whilst being hung by your neck is where the difficulty would be.

BTW, hook knifes aren't just for CReW dogs. There is the very real possibilty (more so with low jump numbers) of an entanglement with another jumper or getting caught up in a cut-away main that would require a hook knife to free yourself.
Get a quality hook knife (or two as they can be easy to drop), never use it to cut anything that isn't an emergency and always be ready to use it.
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

BrianSGermain

***as you only start posts about yourself I think it is time you quit adding your name in the thread(s) title(s)

That is annoying, isn't it. Sorry.

Eh. As personality quirks go, referencing yourself in the third person is mildly amusing.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

nigel99

Me thinks you need to get a bit more educated on hook knives, helmets and cameras.

There are 2 really simple solutions:

1) Don't jump a camera. 99% of peoples camera footage is crap and unwatched anyway.
2) Get a proper camera setup for when you need it. Nobody needs a full face helmet AND a camera on the same jump.

At 53 jumps, I'm nowhere near having enough experience to jump a cam and I'm in no rush to do it.
However, I think camera do increase the snag hazard, but that can happen also without cameras involved, although I agree it's by far a much much smaller chance, hence, as jono said, the necessity of a hook knife on any equipment... since there is another situation that comes to mind and you need it there anyway.

jono

A quality (not plastic) hook knife is designed to cut through webbing like seat belts as well as lines so it would cut through a chin strap without much trouble but.... doing it without looking whilst being hung by your neck is where the difficulty would be.

BTW, hook knifes aren't just for CReW dogs. There is the very real possibilty (more so with low jump numbers) of an entanglement with another jumper or getting caught up in a cut-away main that would require a hook knife to free yourself.
Get a quality hook knife (or two as they can be easy to drop), never use it to cut anything that isn't an emergency and always be ready to use it.

I still think cutting a chin strap with a hook knife, considering the position of the strap and the size of the hook knife blade would be an interesting challenge even if NOT spinning around.
But you're right, I mentioned CReW because I was thinking of 2 canopies entanglement, and that can happen without doing CReW as well, that's a situation when a hook knife will indeed come very handy.
My point was more like: a) very impractical to cut a chin strap with a hook knife (I though and I still do) b) hook knives are to be used in less situations that someone would generally think, entanglement involving two different jumpers being the one I can think of where using them makes sense.
Most other problems are generally best solved in another way.

While we're at it, since I need to buy one as I'm in the process of getting my gear together, any recommendation on a "quality" hook knife?

Thank you for the help. :)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

BrianSGermain

***as you only start posts about yourself I think it is time you quit adding your name in the thread(s) title(s)

That is annoying, isn't it. Sorry.

I find it amusing, not annoying. It is part of your shtick.

If someone has enough negative energy that your post titles bother them, then changing your post titles probably isn't going to be enough to help them!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P