Bill_K

Slowing down

Hello all,

How can I get myself to 'slow' the freak down in the air. What I mean is I feel like I'm rushing things in the air constantly. I'm still working on my AFF and just did jump 6 today and hope to do level 7 and a solo next time out. Anyway, I find myself rushing my exit count sometimes, and rushing my objectives in the air sometimes.

How can I slow myself down to just chill out and have a good dive. Don't get me wrong my 6 was still awesome, but I rushed myself through my back flip and right into tracking and never got stable between the two. That started a chain of events that caused me to keep rushing for some reason. I passed the level and did all the right things at the right times, but it was not 'right' if you know what I mean. I really, really want to get a lot better at this, to do that I've got to slow down.

Can some of ya'll give me some ideas on how you keep yourself slow and in control?

Thanks,
Bill K.

A high arousal level seems to be common in new jumpers; I know it took me a long time to calm down. The right time to calm down is as soon as you start winding yourself up - and that's normally on the ground or in the plane. Sort it out there, and freefall will go much more smoothly.

Two things that worked for me:

• Breathing. In the plane, breathe slowly and deeply. Notice your breathing. This is much like meditation - it slows your heartrate and calms you down.

• Smile. Even if you have to force it, smile. Smiling triggers physiological effects that relax you.

I use both all the time in the plane when doing 4-way. I know of one instructor that, when doing 2-way RW jumps, will refuse to key the second point until the student smiles at him. Works wonders.

If, in freefall, you find yourself rushing, stop, breathe, and then continue.

These are all techniques that work for me. Discuss them with your instructors before applying them yourself.

Bob,

He and I talked for a good long while after the jump and he suggested many of the same things. He also said to 'talk' my way through each item, the time it takes me to talk it out should be how fast I should go.

I'll get it settled down I think. Just gotta keep at it. Thanks for the response.

BK

Visualization really helped me. I visualized my skydives in real time... taking care to breathe deeply while I was visualizing (with my eyes closed and in a quiet place).

You will also find that things will naturally start to slow down as you stay in this sport. Keep at it. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hey Justin,

Good to see you on here. :)

Actually my first jump of the day today was probably my best yet. It was on my second jump that things went wacky in my head. I think it started with the fact that we had a tandom load get on late and push all the way to the front of the plane and I had been there so I had to shift down and that separated me from my instructor on the plane and caused some anxiety a bit and I'm wondering if I just never got myself relaxed after that.

Last week it was my jump one that I was running fast on, but my second jump was a dream.

BK

Get through your AFF safely. Personally, I found I did not enjoy that many of my AFF dives. What needed to be done, was done & done safely. There was too much to do, but it needed to be done to deal with the fact that you are jumping out of an airplane high above the ground.

RELAX

RELAX

Do what you are doing... safely. I am (personally) in no rush to do anything quickly... because I'm am very much older than most new guys. I am 40 years old & proudly a student. I do however very much enjoy all that I've done and I do it safely.

Wait untill your able to do a few solo skydives under no pressure to complete your learing objective for the skydive. Once your cleared (for solo) you'll see (perhaps) as I have, that they are some of the very best skydives you'll ever do. It's truly a beautiful planet we have the pleasure of jumping over. Once you are able to do it with friends.... well wait and see, it's awesome.

If what I say is wrong, those with huge jump numbers please correct me. I'm just a humble student after all.

;)

I agree with Jeep. After you're clear for solo, do a couple no objective fun jumps before going back to coach jumps that have pass/fail criteria. You'll be surprised how long a jump lasts when you don't have to perform for someone else.

The suggested relaxation techniques may work, but more jumps will do the job. If you stress about relaxing, probably won't happen.

Breathing is a good relaxation technique.

Robin Heid explained to me that you can focus on breathing or focus on fear, but not both at the same time.

Breathing can also modify your arousal levels. For example, we might have to "psych up" a lazy student with short, quick, muscular "power-lifting" breaths.

Far more often, we use slow, deep breaths to lower their arousal level just before the plane turns on to jump run.

We also use breathing to time group exits.
PFF exit normally starts with a smile and nod from one of the instructors, then the student looks forward (at the propeller) while breathing in.
He breaths out.
He rocks forwards (or inwards) while breathing in.
He launches outwards while breathing out.
All this visible motion makes it easy for instructors to take their cue from the student so that everyone launches at the same time.

During circles of awareness, we often ask students to shout out altitudes. Shouting does two things, first: it forces them to think about the altitude. Secondly, shouting forces them to breath out. Breathing out leads to a smoother, more stable, relaxed arch.

Visualization really helped me. I visualized my skydives in real time... taking care to breathe deeply while I was visualizing (with my eyes closed and in a quiet place).

You will also find that things will naturally start to slow down as you stay in this sport. Keep at it. :)

I am also new but having studied Martial Arts, I understand the importance of both breathing (what Bob stated) and about the kime (or focus) you obtain in visualization (what NWFlyer is stating). One goes with the other and both help not only to settle you down but to solidify the lessons and plan surrounding accomplishing the task at hand.

It doesn't matter how anyone else lives their life.... it matter how you live yours!

Personally I think you can try everything you like, my relaxation has come gradually with the more jumps I do.

The more you jump the more familiar you will become with your surroundings and thus the more you are able to relax and slow things down.

A couple of solos when you aren't forced to do anything, just get out and do what the hell you like (although obviously don't do something daft like tracking along the flight line), should help relax you, I know they did me.

BOOM Headshot

(although obviously don't do something daft like tracking along the flight line)

Why is this? Why can't one track back toward the landing area, I did this on my second track during my level 6 and while I was not holding my heading all that great I was in theory tracking along the flight line? I.e. I was tracking at the time parallel to the runway. The plane should have been higher and behind me?

I've found it's only when I rush my exit count for what ever reason that I have a so-so dive. If I slow that down the rest of the dive seems to go awesome. On my level 6 even though I fast counted my exit, I did exit stable, because I got to watch my instructor in a heads down high speed track from the plane down to level with me. Was way cool to watch, but as soon as he gave me the nod, I was rushing it again. [:/]

I think that once I've been able to jump a few times with out the pressure of having to do a bunch of stuff that I will start to settle down. Each jump seems to be getting better and better in spite of myself though. :)
I'm a little apprehensive about my first solo though I will admit. :$

Why is this? Why can't one track back toward the landing area,

Because that's where the person who left the plane before you is. Going the other direction (following the plane), you head towards the part of the sky where the person/group leaving after you is.

Why is this? Why can't one track back toward the landing area,

Because that's where the person who left the plane before you is. Going the other direction (following the plane), you head towards the part of the sky where the person/group leaving after you is.

Thanks kelpdiver, that makes perfect sense. I guess up to now I've been so far behind the other groups that it's not been a worry, but now that I can actually move across the sky a bit, it's a much more real concern.

BK

Bill, I have a suggestion, from someone that was there not too long ago. On your first solo, simply just fall. Don't do any turns, flips, nothing. Just fall and look around all you want, until pull altitude. This will show you how much time you really have before pull time... it worked for me.

After I completed my AFF, my instructors made me do 5 jumps on my own. This was just to prove, yes I can do it on my own. After that, I lost those pre-jitters

Also, with the more jumps you do, the more relaxed you will be. Just don't be in a rush to get your license. I know a lot of people that have 200+ jumps and still have an "A".
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

Hi Bill. There are several great suggestions in this thread. Our jump #'s are very different, similar situation. Part of the key to relaxing is realizing that you'd rather perform in more of a relaxed manner. You've done that. There are still skydives that get me super amped, sweaty palms, a bit nervous too. From competition skydives, coaching, organized, zoo loads, 2ways to 100 ways.Smiling, breathing, going through the dive in my mind before the dive(visualizing) are still a part of each dive, so maybe i'll have a relaxed mind while flying my butt off. You can load up a jump with several tasks. More tasks = more to perform = more prep = more anxiety to have to perform. You've been pretty busy in freefall throughout AFF. AFF teaches you skills that you will use on every skydive you make. At some point the basics should become second nature. During your solo jumps you can laod up the skydive with many tasks like your AFF jumps or simply stick with the basics and freefall while performing one task other than the basics which is fall. Take a look around enjoy having your knees in the breeze all the while maintaning altitude awareness and pulling on time. Even for such a simple jump, thinking the dive through before getting in the plane makes for a bit more relaxing time. When i coach a skydiver, i like them to plan on doing a fun easy skydive before starting the day coaching. Really loosens them up. Be good at the basics. Have a good time on them solo's, you get to organize them, there all you bro!

You guys/gals all rock!! I'm super amped now to do my solo stuff. I can't wait to actually look around and take it all in. I've been laying on the floor and practicing going from track back to lazy W real slow like, well normal speed like and not like I did it on 6. Just trying to get the feel in my head for 7. My exits are pretty stable now so I think it's just a matter of slowing everything down and doing it smooth. I will be doing much of this next time out. Slow smooth breathing, see it in my and, big smile and try to talk it out in the air as I'm going. I want to nail 7 and then get a solo or two out of the way. Weather and work permitting I'm going to try and make that happen on Friday. Otherwise it will have to wait a week. Until after vacation.

Thanks again, it's helpful to hear this stuff from those of you who've been there before...

BK

Ya you got it bro! Ever heard of the 7 P's ? Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The 3 P's ? Pull, Pull on time, Pull stable. The EP's? You gotta know them by now. Relax and enjoy the ride!

And the three three's. Three rings, three handles, three buckles, checked three times.

You knew that, but other fellow students should be reminded about this too. ;)

in reply to "Can some of ya'll give me some ideas on how you keep yourself slow and in control?"

Tai Chi.
Isometrics.
Slow push ups /chin ups.

These can teach your body to be incontrol and be slow and when required you can speed up with power and control intact.