brenthutch

Harvard Penn and MIT

34 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Only in the leftie brain does saying gender is binary equals hate speech but calling for the genocide of Jews “needs context”

Help me out, if I were to adopt your views on biologic sex and genders how would my life be better? For that matter, were I to do so, how would your life be better?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Help me out, if I were to adopt your views on biologic sex and genders how would my life be better? For that matter, were I to do so, how would your life be better?

Hi Joe,

To me, it is the same rationale that men use to deny a woman control of her own body.

IT IS NOT THEIR DECISION!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Depending on context, don't think it is hate speech, but it is certainly factually wrong.

Agreed.  It could be hate speech, but in most cases is just being a dick.  Like refusing to call a married woman by her new last name because you don't like her husband, or like calling someone "it" because they're nonbinary.

30 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s only correct +95% of the time 

I guess then that the definition I heard of gender as being “generally descriptive, but not definitive” would be pretty decent.

After all, well over 95% of Chicago residents are honest and not the least bit violent. Doesn’t seem to stop people from describing it as a hellhole where you can’t trust anyone

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I guess then that the definition I heard of gender as being “generally descriptive, but not definitive” would be pretty decent.

After all, well over 95% of Chicago residents are honest and not the least bit violent. Doesn’t seem to stop people from describing it as a hellhole where you can’t trust anyone

Wendy P. 

Population of Chicago, 2.7 million, 5% is 135,000, that's a lot of bad people.

19 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And 97% of people are straight!  But listening to conservatives you'd think the sky was falling due to all the gay people gaying up things and shoving it down their throats.

And 99% of people are cis!  But again, the #1 threat to our kids is trans sickos reading to our kids in libraries, according to the right wing.  Trannies are the biggest threat, NOT GUNS!

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, brenthutch said:

Only in the leftie brain does saying gender is binary equals hate speech but calling for the genocide of Jews “needs context”

I vaguely recall back in the mists of time that cancel culture and the practice of universities and student groups deplatforming ‘undesirable’ speakers was one of the greatest extant threats to free American society. I believe it was a truth universally accepted on the Right that even if an actual, literal Nazi was invited by one student group to speak at a university, other students should meet them on the battlefield of ideas, and demanding instead that they be stopped from speaking or the group who invited them sanctioned in any way would be unconscionable. 

I wonder what changed.

19 minutes ago, jakee said:

... I believe it was a truth universally accepted on the Right that even if an actual, literal Nazi was invited by one student group to speak at a university, other students should meet them on the battlefield of ideas, and demanding instead that they be stopped from speaking or the group who invited them sanctioned in any way would be unconscionable. 

I wonder what changed.

The right became the ones with the indefensible ideas.

You know, the Nazis.

13 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The right became the ones with the indefensible ideas.

You know, the Nazis.

13 hours ago, jakee said:

I vaguely recall back in the mists of time that cancel culture and the practice of universities and student groups deplatforming ‘undesirable’ speakers was one of the greatest extant threats to free American society. I believe it was a truth universally accepted on the Right that even if an actual, literal Nazi was invited by one student group to speak at a university, other students should meet them on the battlefield of ideas, and demanding instead that they be stopped from speaking or the group who invited them sanctioned in any way would be unconscionable. 

I wonder what changed.

I agree, and this wouldn’t even be an issue if the calls to kill the Jews wasn’t coming from the “silence is violence” crowd.

11 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I agree, and this wouldn’t even be an issue if the calls to kill the Jews wasn’t coming from the “silence is violence” crowd.

Yeah all those lefties channeling Hitler, cautioning against the poisoning of the American bloodline.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lippy said:

Yeah all those lefties channeling Hitler, cautioning against the poisoning of the American bloodline.  

Identity politics

BTW Hitler was a progressive 

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2019/09/hitler-the-progressive

https://www.fff.org/2016/01/29/american-progressives-inspired-hitler-and-vice-versa/

Edited by brenthutch

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I haven’t actually heard those calls, apart from actual Nazis or genuine Islamic extremists.

While I think the comments from the University Chairs were ill advised, I’m pretty sure that’s what they were trying to head off. Expecting that if they said ‘yes we would expel any students calling for genocide against Israel’ they would be presented with examples of students saying things that really don’t mean that but that their Republican questioners claim does mean that, then get bogged down in a horrible quagmire of pointless argument. Which would be par for the course for Republicans on committees right now.

18 minutes ago, jakee said:

Hitler was an authoritarian, militaristic, xenophobic nationalist. You join the dots.

“The intellectual foundation of the progressive movement, though, can be traced farther back — to the French Revolution inspired by Rousseau and Robespierre. The central faith was that the “collective” was more important than the “person.” Robespierre said, “The people is always worth more than individuals. ... The people is sublime, but individuals are weak.” 

Following the progressivism of Wilson were communism, fascism and Nazism. All believed in the state and tried to marginalize religion.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

“The intellectual foundation of the progressive movement, though, can be traced farther back — to the French Revolution inspired by Rousseau and Robespierre. The central faith was that the “collective” was more important than the “person.” Robespierre said, “The people is always worth more than individuals. ... The people is sublime, but individuals are weak.” 

Following the progressivism of Wilson were communism, fascism and Nazism. All believed in the state and tried to marginalize religion.”

Politico

John Linder

10/07/2009

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

By that definition Trump is a progressive, considering he is talking about using the force of the State to alter society.

Edited by SkyDekker
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

By that definition Trump is a progressive, considering he is talking about using the force of the State to alter society.

Of course.  And Brent is a liberal since he wants to change our current diverse energy scheme to an all coal future, and he supports the downtrodden, underpriviledged whites against the all-seeing Black Power replacement plans.

But in the world of reality where words mean things, progressives generally support change to improve individuals and society as a whole; conservatives want to return to the "golden past" where things were better (in their opinion.)

In the Trumpian world, that means "make America great again" where no one was gay or trans, black people and immigrants knew their place, women didn't try to be like men, the country's blood was pure (i.e. mostly white) and no one was woke.  To focus people's rage he chooses both internal enemies (liberals, illegal immigrants, trans people) and external enemies (refugees, gangs, NATO and the UN) for them to rail against.  Only he can protect them from all these enemies both foreign and domestic!

In post-World-War-1 Germany, the country was reeling under crippling sanctions from the victorious European countries.  Germany had dropped from being one of Europe's most prosperous countries to a third world hellhole where even basic services were unaffordable.  Along came Hitler who promised to bring back the old Germany, where the German people were free of sanctions, immigrants and the New World Order of a Europe united against them.  He did this by choosing an internal enemy (the Jews) and blaming them for Germany's problems, as well as external enemies (the more liberal European countries.)  That, of course, allowed him to sell himself as the solution to all these threats.  This similiarity is why Trump's language is so similar to Hitler's - same approach, same goals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

“The intellectual foundation of the progressive movement, though, can be traced farther back — to the French Revolution inspired by Rousseau and Robespierre.

Ok cool - so people are either progressives or monarchists. Which one are you?

The central faith was that the “collective” was more important than the “person.” Robespierre said, “The people is always worth more than individuals. ... The people is sublime, but individuals are weak.” 

Let's see what the other Hitchens has to say: "what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1