mjosparky

Responces to a troll.

Below are a few posts made in responce to a guy many believe to be a troll.

*****, are you going to do any beneficial work to help skydiving or our organization, or are you just going to go on and on posting nonsense in dropzone.com forums?

Many of those full of shit post of yours in fact are worded like you think you got some big handle on the facts, when in fact you don't.... other wise you wouldn't cloud the topic at hand with stupid ass Canadian doctors report that has no direct baring on this topic.

But the deliberate way you try to sound more knowledgeable than you actually are in some areas makes every post you make suspect. 'I started skydiving back in the 70's, implying that you've 40 years of experience - we both know that isn't the case.

You're a really wierd guy...

Please stop selling your opinions as facts. They aren't...

You on the other hand are known to give rambling, partly incoherent, highly biased and opinionated rants with a high level of anger at some meaningless regional politics that you are involved in. Most people here just ignore you. You reap what you sow.

In your profile you list you location as San Diego, your country of origin as Zimbabwe and your home DZ as Deland. You don’t list you jump history or your name. Your posts are in many cases condescending and in most cases long, rambling and wrong.

After watching you post in this an the other thread, you're on going rambling bullshit, it is quite clear you know little of the topic at hand and it would serve all of us who do grasp it and deal with the issue in our daily life's, if you could learn to shut the fuck up about topics you don't know shit about!

Book reviews on Amazon in December this year by said troll.

Basic Canopy Flight - Laidlaw

Parachute and its Pilot – Brian Germain

How to Pack a Parachute – Chris

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yep, it's high in the BFD, don't let it take space in your brain department.

Remember that no one reads posts that are that long anyway, so it's unlikely he's led too many people astray :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Yep, it's high in the BFD, don't let it take space in your brain department.

Remember that no one reads posts that are that long anyway, so it's unlikely he's led too many people astray :)

Wendy P.

Be is as it may, it's still infuriating to listen to someone spew garbage on unsuspecting public.

Internet is a wonderful thing, but it gives people a false sense of expertise :)

yoink

Chris has stated that he's trying to change both his attitude and posting habits.

How about we give him the chance, eh?

Too much kicking people when they're down round here.

He may be trying, but he isn't being very successful. He's asked to be shown where he was wrong in his facts (acting surprised when it's pointed out that he was shown this before).
He also isn't changing anything of his own volition. The only reason he's changing is because he was clearly outed as a newbie. Not just ignorant of the facts, not an "anonymous jumper & instructor" but a 1 jump wonder.
He was given a bunch of chances to tone down his attitude, shorten up his posts and stop pretending to be an expert.

He didn't do any of that until he had to.

I think he's worn out his welcome here and any changes he shows are too little and too late.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

likestojump

***Yep, it's high in the BFD, don't let it take space in your brain department.

Wendy P.

Be is as it may, it's still infuriating to listen to someone spew garbage on unsuspecting public.

Internet is a wonderful thing, but it gives people a false sense of expertise :)

Yes, agreed. Such postings gives the general public a skewed view of the jumping community. I haven't been actively involved in running a DZ for over 20 years but when I was a DZO and then as a jump pilot I constantly did everything I could to enlighten the non-jumpers I met to what our sport is all about. [MOST people think we are crazy, you know. I took it upon myself to say, "Yeah, maybe I am crazy but I am not stupid."]

I've spent way too much time in the DB Cooper thread attempting to put the sport in a favorable light. (I guess it's the businessman/entrepreneur in me that does that.) I have no clue how many people read that thread but most are now non-jumpers. Still, many more people read that than just about anything else here on DZ.com

Drivel such as the Sparky's troll is spewing---and the tone of those postings---hurts the business of jumping out of airplanes.

We don't need the bickering like that which exists in the DB thread nor do we need jerks like Sparky's troll.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

likestojump

***Yep, it's high in the BFD, don't let it take space in your brain department.

Wendy P.

back in the days when i started this jumping-thingy, my instructor said "dude, DO NOT EVER take ANY advice from dropzone.com; it's DANGEROUS!". he does have a point..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Guru312

***Below are a few posts made in responce to a guy many believe to be a troll.

Sparky

Well, dang, Sparky, those posts are nothing compared to the nonsense happening in the DB Cooper thread!

I’m afraid to go in the DB forum. Too many dark places.

Sparky

yoink

Chris has stated that he's trying to change both his attitude and posting habits.

I have a ball cap a good friend gave me years ago, on the front is a pair of cowboy boots and below that it says “When you get a man down – put the boots to him”. B|

Stop and consider what it was that put him down. I have received some information that he is not a 1 jump wonder but has been around for awhile. This makes his actions even more reprehensible. [:/]

While some don’t mind having their chain jerked, it pisses me off. >:(

Sparky

mjosparky

Stop and consider what it was that put him down. I have received some information that he is not a 1 jump wonder but has been around for awhile. This makes his actions even more reprehensible. [:/]

Sparky

I agree. Completely. And it pisses me off too.

But I also think people deserve a second chance when they admit they were wrong. Hell. I lied about my experience to get on a night jump when I had 30 jumps. I wouldn't do it now, but then? I was stupid and thought I knew everything.

By all means, we should correct any factually incorrect information he posts - that's the point of having this community. But having been caught lying I think he deserves a chance to prove he's changed.

Who knows - his keenness might be channeled into actually getting an instructor rating and really learning...

Having said that, I've no sympathy if he continues lying the way he was... One chance. One.

Chris - I hope you're reading this. I'm sticking my neck out for you against some people I have the utmost respect for.

mjosparky

***Chris has stated that he's trying to change both his attitude and posting habits.

I have a ball cap a good friend gave me years ago, on the front is a pair of cowboy boots and below that it says “When you get a man down – put the boots to him”. B|

Sparkyya, the only thing worse than him being a one jump wonder is someone with experience saying that stuff.
"Ignorance can be cured. You can't fix stupid"
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

mjosparky

******Below are a few posts made in responce to a guy many believe to be a troll.

Sparky

Well, dang, Sparky, those posts are nothing compared to the nonsense happening in the DB Cooper thread!

I’m afraid to go in the DB forum. Too many dark places.

Sparky

There are a couple people in there that are seriously in need of taking Adrian Cronauer Quote from Good Morning Vietnam.... They need WAY too many tissues.

yoink

Sparky

I agree. Completely. And it pisses me off too.

But I also think people deserve a second chance when they admit they were wrong. Hell. I lied about my experience to get on a night jump when I had 30 jumps. I wouldn't do it now, but then? I was stupid and thought I knew everything.

By all means, we should correct any factually incorrect information he posts - that's the point of having this community. But having been caught lying I think he deserves a chance to prove he's changed.

Who knows - his keenness might be channeled into actually getting an instructor rating and really learning...

Having said that, I've no sympathy if he continues lying the way he was... One chance. One.

Chris - I hope you're reading this. I'm sticking my neck out for you against some people I have the utmost respect for.

You are not sticking your neck out…..you are just stating what you feel. I will never fault a person for that. We can’t help the way we feel but we can control the way we act and what we say.

Over the years I have stepped on my share of toes but I’ve never done it to be cute. In my opinion, opinion being the key word, it was justified and called for.

Sparky

virgin-burner

***... Internet is a wonderful thing, but it gives people a false sense of expertise :)

back in the days when i started this jumping-thingy, my instructor said "dude, DO NOT EVER take ANY advice from dropzone.com; it's DANGEROUS!". he does have a point..

I'd like to strongly disagree with this sentiment. I restarted skydiving just about 3 years ago, and this place can be a source of valuable information. The key is to have a strong set of filters in place, and to hang here long enough to figure out the reputation of the people who post here to know whether or not they are credible. And to pay attention to how something that is said is responded to by others of high reputation.

Which is why I found Chris so odious: most people who spew BS here are (once you know them) pretty clearly spewing BS. Chris created this phony persona pretending to be a long time highly experienced well connected instructor. He wasn't easy to see thru. (IMO, his account should be banned from the skydiving forums; limit him to the bonfire only).

Divalent

... and this place can be a source of valuable information. The key is to have a strong set of filters in place, and to hang here long enough to figure out the reputation of the people who post here to know whether or not they are credible. And to pay attention to how something that is said is responded to by others of high reputation...

Well put. I'm so happy to see you post that, and I emphasized your points that I feel strongly about. Most of the skydivers that think that dz.com forums are all BS simply don't put enough effort into it. Yet they will spend a lot of time on Facebook learning nothing from their Friends (often meaningless) posts.

peek

***... and this place can be a source of valuable information. The key is to have a strong set of filters in place, and to hang here long enough to figure out the reputation of the people who post here to know whether or not they are credible. And to pay attention to how something that is said is responded to by others of high reputation...

Well put. I'm so happy to see you post that, and I emphasized your points that I feel strongly about. Most of the skydivers that think that dz.com forums are all BS simply don't put enough effort into it. Yet they will spend a lot of time on Facebook learning nothing from their Friends (often meaningless) posts.

and that is exactly the point! you have to spend an awfull amount of time to sift through tons of BS just to get the noise-signal-ratio somehow in balance. which is very annoying most of the time and if bloated egos and madeup personas come into play it gets even worse. and I think this phenomenon has gotten worse over the years....
in this context I am more than happy, that I was not alone in thinking something smelled funny and that sparky made the call to create this thread... actually that should have been done by the greenies a long time ago
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

feuergnom

******... and this place can be a source of valuable information. The key is to have a strong set of filters in place, and to hang here long enough to figure out the reputation of the people who post here to know whether or not they are credible. And to pay attention to how something that is said is responded to by others of high reputation...

and that is exactly the point! you have to spend an awfull amount of time to sift through tons of BS just to get the noise-signal-ratio somehow in balance. which is very annoying most of the time and if bloated egos and madeup personas come into play it gets even worse. and I think this phenomenon has gotten worse over the years....
in this context I am more than happy, that I was not alone in thinking something smelled funny and that sparky made the call to create this thread... actually that should have been done by the greenies a long time ago

May I disagree with you ?

SNR is a valid point to make, however, one should always be using their brains instead of taking random statements as facts.

In other words, face to face can be just as invalid as dz.com. There are always authority types who have a large ego, a small dick, and an even smaller expertise - yet they speak the loudest and the most assertive.

So - one should think logically about the information presented, and then go to a verified/credible knowledge maven and confirm the information. Or they can just do the whole "dz.com sucks" on Facebook and exchange dick jokes along with an occasional "safe-ish" style comment. RAAAAd, DUDE !

likestojump

*********... and this place can be a source of valuable information. The key is to have a strong set of filters in place, and to hang here long enough to figure out the reputation of the people who post here to know whether or not they are credible. And to pay attention to how something that is said is responded to by others of high reputation...

May I disagree with you ?

SNR is a valid point to make, however, one should always be using their brains instead of taking random statements as facts.

In other words, face to face can be just as invalid as dz.com. There are always authority types who have a large ego, a small dick, and an even smaller expertise - yet they speak the loudest and the most assertive.

So - one should think logically about the information presented, and then go to a verified/credible knowledge maven and confirm the information. Or they can just do the whole "dz.com sucks" on Facebook and exchange dick jokes along with an occasional "safe-ish" style comment. RAAAAd, DUDE !

^ This. This is the right answer. I value this resource greatly, and I value face to face information greatly. But, I have heard plenty of rubbish 'facts' face to face from supposed experts (ie making yourself big to catch the wind to get pushed back from a deep spot, from a world famous canopy pilot, 45 degree rule etc)

Without the exposure to a wider range of views and debate, I doubt I'd have have worked out all of the right answers from first principles.

likestojump has it - use all sources of information, but figure out who has good advice, and who does not. I know the 15 or so posters whose advice I would weight heavily on here, and ChrisD is not one of them.

I've been around on dizzie for over ten years now, and just to make it clear: I think I know whose posts to value, whose to just skip, and whose to think about twice in every aspect... either to skip the info or to get the message

I still value the topical forums a lot, as they can and do provide good information - but as said before: signal to noise gets out of hand very often IMHO.

peace
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666