David Peters

How learn parachute manufacturing?

Hello everyone. I want to start my own business of manufacturing parachutes. I do not have any skills or know how. Is there any training program or resources where I can get a training in parachute manufacturing? Are there any consultants that can help me set up parachute manufacturing business?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

2 hours ago, David Peters said:

Hello everyone. I want to start my own business of manufacturing parachutes. I do not have any skills or know how. Is there any training program or resources where I can get a training in parachute manufacturing? Are there any consultants that can help me set up parachute manufacturing business?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Hi David,

First:  Good luck

Second:  Do you want to mfr entire rigs; harness/container & canopies?  Or just some components?

As Wendy mentions, an extensive rigging course [ not some 3-5 day school ] is a very good start.  Many schools also offer courses for people wanting to get their Master rigger rating.  You might enquire about what they could teach you in a one-on-one type of training in building the equipment you are interested in.

A number of current mfg people went to work for one of the big companies to learn; then went out on their own.

Lots of ways to learn.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

I am an African parachute factory owner and president of the Parachute Manufacturers Association in Nigderia. Of course, you know what a powerful parachute production was in our country in the past... Unfortunately, there is a war going on in our country now and I am forced to hide abroad and my accounts are blocked (and employees are eaten by the new dictator). Dear friend! You can give me a small part of your money, which you certainly have for your own production - and I will be able to bribe, and take my factory out of Nigderia, and I will give you half in gratitude. And you'll get rich. Trust me! (Humor)

4 hours ago, Veis said:

I am an African parachute factory owner and president of the Parachute Manufacturers Association in Nigderia. Of course, you know what a powerful parachute production was in our country in the past... Unfortunately, there is a war going on in our country now and I am forced to hide abroad and my accounts are blocked (and employees are eaten by the new dictator). Dear friend! You can give me a small part of your money, which you certainly have for your own production - and I will be able to bribe, and take my factory out of Nigderia, and I will give you half in gratitude. And you'll get rich. Trust me! (Humor)

He probably has a better chance of success going with your assistance than going alone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

He probably has a better chance of success going with your assistance than going alone.

We also have such a crazy girl, sent she to RTFM and she went to study at a sewing college. Maybe she is the TS?

35 minutes ago, David Peters said:

Thank You Wendy and Jerry for your responses. I will start researching for a rigger course around me.

I live in southern California. If you happen to know any good course that can help me learn skills of parachute manufacturing (all the components) then please recommend.

Hi David,

This is probably the closest to you:  US Academy of Parachute Rigging | Parachute Rigging School (parachuteriggingacademy.com)

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)

My first reaction is to ask why you would want to do this? It's a small industry with a limited market. I would not pick this as a high ROI opportunity. Most people that persue this are all ready involved and do it out of passion. That is why they tend to fail. They are skydivers not business men.

Getting your rigging certificate is not the answer. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea just as general background and in theory could help you legally with the FAA. It's a weird gray area where all you have to do is say you are a manufacturer and you are. But in theory you need to be a rigger to do any kind of repair. But manufacturer trumps rigger... The logic gets convoluted and weird. Can you build it but then not fix it? In the end it doesn't matter. Half of your employees will be riggers.

A rigging course has very little to do with what you will need to learn. Here is the real truth. There are lots of different types of riggers. And this isn't a senior vs master thing. Master means they can sign more paperwork. In theory they are more experienced and can do alterations, etc. In reality it just means they can sign things. But manufacturer tops master. A master can perform alterations approved by the manufacturer or can apply for an approval through the FAA. This gets into whether it's a TSO'd component. Non TSO'd, people just go to town on them although in theory some of these rules still apply. There are some very good master rigger manufacturers on here that will be happy to delve deep into that rabbit hole.

Here is the honest truth as to what you need. You need a business degree. Or a degree in accounting. Running a business is a business in it self. Taxes payroll book keeping accounts receivable accounts payable suppliers PO's tracking records marketing finance. These are the actual skills that you need. You are going to hire someone to run production. That's a completely separate issue and the small of the two issues.

Who do you need to hire. Remember I said there are different types of riggers. There are riggers that pack, there are riggers that sew, there are riggers that build, and there are riggers that design. There are ones that work in the sport industry. They pilot rigs are almost their own separate industry with limited crossover. Military is it's own thing. These groups have been cross pollinating but they are still very different from each other. Most riggers are glorified packers, and that's fine. A lot of them really are not comfortable doing even basic repairs or sewing. This is what all the classes turn out. You don't really learn to see and prepare things till you work in at least a medium size loft under the supervision of a master rigger. Some people get really into that and just live at a sewing machine. Note that they are probably not master riggers. You just need a master rigger around to theoretically be "supervising" and maybe sign something now and again. There are people that get into building things from scratch. Batches of risers jumpsuits sliders toggles pilot chutes etc. This is a different skill set. You mostly develop it from working for a manufacturer or in a larger loft. You don't learn all the secrets and esoteric knowledge from any course. There is a smaller group that delves deeper into the why rather then just the how. Designers are mad scientist with a sewing machine. You'll know them by the kackle in their laugh.

All of these people have way over inflated egos for what they are. We are all a pain in the ass. There is another related category. Let's be polite and call them workers. The more common name that we often use is slaves. These are non skydiver non rigger 9-5 workers that set at machines doing repetitive tasks all day long. They are actually very valuable. If you get good ones treasure them. They come in diffrent varieties. I think Koreans are the best but any one (xxx) will do. LOL's (little old ladies)  are very good if you can get them. The problem is that they are by definition old and tend to die. They are almost extinct. Wet backs are I think the last option but they can serve with enough supervision. 

Sewing machines. It has gotten progressively harder over the years to source good used machines. And you will need some one to work on them. I don't know what your going to do but you will be surprised at how many machines you will wind up with.

Her as a thought. Don't start a company. Buy one. None of these companies are big. You might be surprised at how low an honest evaluation of their value would be. Some of these guys are getting old. Sandy Reed as an example. Or the dolphin rig. Or some one in a financial bind because they don't know how to run a business. You could pick up not just a turn key operation but maybe a TSO. That's fucking gold. All the old shit is grand fathered in and it's only getting harder to meet the new standards.

Again my real advise is to go open a McDonald's or some shit like that. Any thing but a loft. If your not already married to this industry why would you dive into this water?

Lee

Edited by wmw999
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, RiggerLee said:

My first reaction is to ask why you would want to do this?

... Designers are mad scientist with a sewing machine. You'll know them by the kackle in their laugh.

All of these people have way over inflated egos for what they are. We are all a pain in the ass...

Lee

Dear God, Lee.

The whole post is gold, but the quoted stuff is platinum.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RiggerLee said:

My first reaction is to ask why you would want to do this? It's a small industry with a limited market. I would not pick this as a high ROI opportunity. Most people that persue this are all ready involved and do it out of passion. That is why they tend to fail. They are skydivers not business men.

Getting your rigging certificate is not the answer. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea just as general background and in theory could help you legally with the FAA. It's a weird gray area where all you have to do is say you are a manufacturer and you are. But in theory you need to be a rigger to do any kind of repair. But manufacturer trumps rigger... The logic gets convoluted and weird. Can you build it but then not fix it? In the end it doesn't matter. Half of your employees will be riggers.

A rigging course has very little to do with what you will need to learn. Here is the real truth. There are lots of different types of riggers. And this isn't a senior vs master thing. Master means they can sign more paperwork. In theory they are more experienced and can do alterations, etc. In reality it just means they can sign things. But manufacturer tops master. A master can perform alterations approved by the manufacturer or can apply for an approval through the FAA. This gets into whether it's a TSO'd component. Non TSO'd, people just go to town on them although in theory some of these rules still apply. There are some very good master rigger manufacturers on here that will be happy to delve deep into that rabbit hole.

Here is the honest truth as to what you need. You need a business degree. Or a degree in accounting. Running a business is a business in it self. Taxes payroll book keeping accounts receivable accounts payable suppliers PO's tracking records marketing finance. These are the actual skills that you need. You are going to hire someone to run production. That's a completely separate issue and the small of the two issues.

Who do you need to hire. Remember I said there are different types of riggers. There are riggers that pack, there are riggers that sew, there are riggers that build, and there are riggers that design. There are ones that work in the sport industry. They pilot rigs are almost their own separate industry with limited crossover. Military is it's own thing. These groups have been cross pollinating but they are still very different from each other. Most riggers are glorified packers, and that's fine. A lot of them really are not comfortable doing even basic repairs or sewing. This is what all the classes turn out. You don't really learn to see and prepare things till you work in at least a medium size loft under the supervision of a master rigger. Some people get really into that and just live at a sewing machine. Note that they are probably not master riggers. You just need a master rigger around to theoretically be "supervising" and maybe sign something now and again. There are people that get into building things from scratch. Batches of risers jumpsuits sliders toggles pilot chutes etc. This is a different skill set. You mostly develop it from working for a manufacturer or in a larger loft. You don't learn all the secrets and esoteric knowledge from any course. There is a smaller group that delves deeper into the why rather then just the how. Designers are mad scientist with a sewing machine. You'll know them by the kackle in their laugh.

All of these people have way over inflated egos for what they are. We are all a pain in the ass. There is another related category. Let's be polite and call them workers. The more common name that we often use is slaves. These are non skydiver non rigger 9-5 workers that set at machines doing repetitive tasks all day long. They are actually very valuable. If you get good ones treasure them. They come in diffrent varieties. I think Koreans are the best but any one (xxx) will do. LOL's (little old ladies)  are very good if you can get them. The problem is that they are by definition old and tend to die. They are almost extinct. Wet backs are I think the last option but they can serve with enough supervision. 

Sewing machines. It has gotten progressively harder over the years to source good used machines. And you will need some one to work on them. I don't know what your going to do but you will be surprised at how many machines you will wind up with.

Her as a thought. Don't start a company. Buy one. None of these companies are big. You might be surprised at how low an honest evaluation of their value would be. Some of these guys are getting old. Sandy Reed as an example. Or the dolphin rig. Or some one in a financial bind because they don't know how to run a business. You could pick up not just a turn key operation but maybe a TSO. That's fucking gold. All the old shit is grand fathered in and it's only getting harder to meet the new standards.

Again my real advise is to go open a McDonald's or some shit like that. Any thing but a loft. If your not already married to this industry why would you dive into this water?

Lee

Thanks Lee for your detailed response. I have sent you a private message to continue discussion on some of your suggestions. 

3 hours ago, Woody Russell said:

Start by making Para Commanders (mark 1) I'll buy one.

Have you jumped one lately? I jumped a Starlite about 10 years ago (I have about 400 jumps on them). It was a lot harder landing than when I was in my 20's. Just sayin'

Wendy P.

Wendy, I put a lot of jumps on a PC. I loved that canopy. At that time I weighed 185lbs. and our drop zone was 4700 above sea level. No hard landing that I remember (also in my 20's). I had a Delta 2 Para wing that would sometimes set me down harder. Looking at the Starlite I'm seeing more cutouts than fabric. Being an old man now, not sure I want to be landing at 19ft per second. I have a question. Is your canopy opening harder or softer than the Starlite did back then?

I had the timing down pat on my Starlite; I really loved that canopy. No slammer openings, and since opening altitudes were a lot lower then, it would always open in time (I never got into serious low pulls -- no desire). I weighed about the same as I did for most of my Starlite jumps, and the DZ was at effectively the same altitude (very close to sea level). 

Wendy P.