JerryBaumchen

Athletes vs Careers

Hi folks,

Disclaimer:  I am an NFL fan; not a fanatic.  I simply like to watch the game.

I have always felt that aspiring to be professional athlete, while a great idea, has an extreme probability of failure.  That is why I think our glorification of college athletes is misplaced; and, that so many of them fail to graduate or get an education that has much value.  And, I accept that there are exceptions; this being one of them:  Terry Dischinger, former Trail Blazers forward and local orthodontist, dies at 82 - oregonlive.com

Interestingly, I had never heard of this guy.

Thoughts???????

Jerry Baumchen

How much is too much to spend on a high school football stadium? The Prosper school district in Texas has proposed plans for a new stadium - the price, $94 million. Their current stadium reportedly only cost 53 mill

Too much cash sloshing around at all levels in the US. But some of those athletes wouldn't bother with a education anyway.

IMO It all works out in the end but perhaps the cash could subsidize the rest of the school.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

How much is too much to spend on a high school football stadium? The Prosper school district in Texas has proposed plans for a new stadium - the price, $94 million. Their current stadium reportedly only cost 53 mill

Too much cash sloshing around at all levels in the US. But some of those athletes wouldn't bother with a education anyway.

IMO It all works out in the end but perhaps the cash could subsidize the rest of the school.

Bread and circuses. Keep them amused with the gladiators.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Disclaimer:  I am an NFL fan; not a fanatic.  I simply like to watch the game.

I have always felt that aspiring to be professional athlete, while a great idea, has an extreme probability of failure.  That is why I think our glorification of college athletes is misplaced; and, that so many of them fail to graduate or get an education that has much value.  And, I accept that there are exceptions; this being one of them:  Terry Dischinger, former Trail Blazers forward and local orthodontist, dies at 82 - oregonlive.com

Interestingly, I had never heard of this guy.

Thoughts???????

Jerry Baumchen

Athlete compensation has grown so much since Terry played that I don't think it is even a comparison anymore.

For the 2023 NBA Draft a rookie picked in the 30th round of the draft still get a Rookie contract worth approx. $2,000,000. That is more in 1 year than Terry would have made his entire playing career.

41 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Athlete compensation has grown so much since Terry played that I don't think it is even a comparison anymore.

For the 2023 NBA Draft a rookie picked in the 30th round of the draft still get a Rookie contract worth approx. $2,000,000. That is more in 1 year than Terry would have made his entire playing career.

Nobody needs as much money as some pf these players get.  Some of them have big egos and money is just a score card to them.  I am better than so and so so I should get more money.

6 minutes ago, johnhking1 said:

Nobody needs as much money as some pf these players get. 

Nobody needs as much money as some CEO's, artists, actors and writers either.  But in capitalism, if you generate enough money, you get paid accordingly.  And the NFL is a money printing machine these days.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Nobody needs as much money as some CEO's, artists, actors and writers either.  But in capitalism, if you generate enough money, you get paid accordingly.  And the NFL is a money printing machine these days.

Hi Bill,

And, all of that money does not make you smarter:  Rodgers also suggested that he and Kelce each add a partner for the debate. Rodgers said he would pick Robert F. Kennedy Jr. – an independent presidential candidate and noted vaccine skeptic - for himself and suggested Kelce add Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Aaron Rodgers challenges Travis Kelce to a Covid vaccine debate - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, johnhking1 said:

Nobody needs as much money as some pf these players get.  Some of them have big egos and money is just a score card to them.  I am better than so and so so I should get more money.

If the players did not get that money then the owners would instead. The money goes to the players because they earn it.

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

If the players did not get that money then the owners would instead. The money goes to the players because they earn it.

IMO the players get it because they deserve it. Owners get it because the teams are independent business whose purpose is to make money and to stroke the ego's of their owners.

15 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

And, all of that money does not make you smarter:  Rodgers also suggested that he and Kelce each add a partner for the debate. Rodgers said he would pick Robert F. Kennedy Jr. – an independent presidential candidate and noted vaccine skeptic - for himself and suggested Kelce add Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Aaron Rodgers challenges Travis Kelce to a Covid vaccine debate - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

Just goes to show that intellect in other matters and skill in sports has nothing in common. I'm surprised that he didn't pick Joe Rogan as his partner.

19 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Here is a graph of the value of the Dallas Cowboys team from 2002-23 In most professional sports there is so much cash floating around that everyone should be happy.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Here is a graph of the value of the Dallas Cowboys team from 2002-23 In most professional sports there is so much cash floating around that everyone should be happy.

There is so much cash floating around that you get lots of people chasing it in stead of completing an education, which is a bit different from when Terry Dischinger played. Which was the point.

Here's an interesting modern day example: John Urschel played college football at Penn State,  then was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2014 and played three seasons before retiring.  While at Penn State he earned bachelor's and masters degree in mathematics, then started his PhD at MIT (also in mathematics) while playing for the Ravens.  He is currently an assistant professor at MIT.  Sports can teach some people to be organized and highly focused.  On the other hand I could point to a former college football standout who today lives in a single wide trailer in the college town where I live.

2 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Here's an interesting modern day example: John Urschel played college football at Penn State,  then was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2014 and played three seasons before retiring.  While at Penn State he earned bachelor's and masters degree in mathematics, then started his PhD at MIT (also in mathematics) while playing for the Ravens.  He is currently an assistant professor at MIT.  Sports can teach some people to be organized and highly focused.  On the other hand I could point to a former college football standout who today lives in a single wide trailer in the college town where I live.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff was drafted by the Chiefs in 2014, he graduated medical school at McGill in Montreal in 2018 with a Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery. He studied mostly during the off season. in 2019 he enrolled  at Harvard for a Masters in Public Health.

He sat out the 2020 season to help in a long term care facility in Montreal during COVID.  in 2022 he signed with the Jets and this year announced his retirement from Football.

He is only the fourth NFL player to have graduated from Medical School. He got a lot of support from Andy Reid at the Chiefs to accomplish this. Reid's mother is also a McGill Medical School graduate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff was drafted by the Chiefs in 2014, he graduated medical school at McGill in Montreal in 2018 with a Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery. He studied mostly during the off season. in 2019 he enrolled  at Harvard for a Masters in Public Health.

He sat out the 2020 season to help in a long term care facility in Montreal during COVID.  in 2022 he signed with the Jets and this year announced his retirement from Football.

He is only the fourth NFL player to have graduated from Medical School. He got a lot of support from Andy Reid at the Chiefs to accomplish this. Reid's mother is also a McGill Medical School graduate.

Hi Sky,

Terry Baker, Oregon State College [ at that time ], was a Heisman Trophy winner & Sports Illustrated's Athlete of the Year, did not do so good in the pros.  One of his coaches, while with the Rams, said that he should go to law school in his off-time [ he had a degree in Mech Engr ].  He did, and went on to a very successful law career here in Portland.

Terry Baker - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

The affect on kids sports is really devastating. Every parent thinks their kid is going pro at 8 years old.

I grew up playing very competitive hockey and skated in a very minor league like Slapshot only worse. I have coached and refereed hockey since the late 70s.

A few years ago we finally had to sit down about 300 parents in our San Diego youth hockey program to set them straight. One of our coaches was a high draft choice in the NHL and never played a game, toiling in the minor leagues for 12 years. He laid it out to them. They STILL thought little Billy should be on line one and make it to the LA Kings!

Youth sports has become an entire industry in its own right. It’s crazy. The fun is gone for a lot of kids.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grimmie said:

The affect on kids sports is really devastating. Every parent thinks their kid is going pro at 8 years old.

I grew up playing very competitive hockey and skated in a very minor league like Slapshot only worse. I have coached and refereed hockey since the late 70s.

A few years ago we finally had to sit down about 300 parents in our San Diego youth hockey program to set them straight. One of our coaches was a high draft choice in the NHL and never played a game, toiling in the minor leagues for 12 years. He laid it out to them. They STILL thought little Billy should be on line one and make it to the LA Kings!

Youth sports has become an entire industry in its own right. It’s crazy. The fun is gone for a lot of kids.

All the blame belongs to the parents living vicariously through their children. There is nothing wrong with a child dreaming that they will score the winning goal in game seven of the Stanley cup final. But the objective is teamwork, friendship, fun competition, etc.

Gymnastics, football, etc. is the same.