ridebmxbikes

don't have to buy beer after 1000 jumps?

djmarvin

Chances are he will have a lot less beer to buy after 1,000 jumps but no one is exempt from beer rules

That's not true:

"Participation is voluntary. If a skydiver chooses not to participate by buying, neither shall the skydiver enjoy the fruits of the accomplishments of others.

Non-drinkers may buy sodas and buyers may make up any part or whole of their purchase in soda for the enjoyment of those non-drinkers."

http://www.skydiveky.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=163

That being said. Dat Cheap Bastid better buy a case for his Thousandth :P. I would, & I don't even drink.

PiLFy

That being said. Dat Cheap Bastid better buy a case for his Thousandth :P. I would, & I don't even drink.

I took a 7 gallon keg of Sawtooth over for my 100th, an if I'm still in the sport on my 1000th (Looking good so far) I'll probably do something similar for that (Smaller keg though, they only went through about a gallon of it.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

PiLFy

***Chances are he will have a lot less beer to buy after 1,000 jumps but no one is exempt from beer rules

That's not true:

"Participation is voluntary. If a skydiver chooses not to participate by buying, neither shall the skydiver enjoy the fruits of the accomplishments of others.

Non-drinkers may buy sodas and buyers may make up any part or whole of their purchase in soda for the enjoyment of those non-drinkers."

http://www.skydiveky.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=163

First of all you are quoting a DZ specific set of beer rules. Second, when I say beer rules I don't drink and ask for root beer when others owe beer. I use the word beer rules as a generic term. Lastly in my time in the sport I have found the general consensus is no one is exempt from beer rules. I am going to go with a majority ruling on this and still stand by my statement.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

mjosparky

***Suit yourself, but you'll go thirsty around me. I buy it when I feel like it, not when the beer hounds chime up.

You just don't get it. [:/]

Sparky

Yeah, I do. I just choose not to drink. When the beer light comes on, & people start getting loud N goofy. I head for the car. As a non-drinker, I simply don't like being around that. I've noticed a number of jump buddies at my main DZ who feel the same way. Boozin & loud music isn't for everybody. I don't begrudge the drinkers their fun. I even kick in a case of Heineken, periodically. I don't like the effects of alcohol on my body. Simple as that. But, feel free to take another cheap shot at me, Sparkplug. It seems to be all you have in you. I would've thought the sting from our run-in 3+ yrs ago would've worn off for you. I guess not...

PiLFy

******Suit yourself, but you'll go thirsty around me. I buy it when I feel like it, not when the beer hounds chime up.

Sparky

Yeah, I do. I just choose not to drink. When the beer light comes on, & people start getting loud N goofy. I head for the car. As a non-drinker, I simply don't like being around that. I've noticed a number of jump buddies at my main DZ who feel the same way. Boozin & loud music isn't for everybody. I don't begrudge the drinkers their fun. I even kick in a case of Heineken, periodically. I don't like the effects of alcohol on my body. Simple as that. But, feel free to take another cheap shot at me, Sparkplug. It seems to be all you have in you. I would've thought the sting from our
run-in 3+ yrs ago would've worn off for you. I guess not...

Chili Rileno is sober. He stopped by the DZ in his travels and had a celebratory X00th jump. He went down to the store and bought root beer & vanilla ice cream and made floats for the dz. It was a great night and I don't remember anyone partaking in alcohol even as the night progressed.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

PiLFy

******Suit yourself, but you'll go thirsty around me. I buy it when I feel like it, not when the beer hounds chime up.

Sparky

Yeah, I do. I just choose not to drink. When the beer light comes on, & people start getting loud N goofy. I head for the car. As a non-drinker, I simply don't like being around that. I've noticed a number of jump buddies at my main DZ who feel the same way. Boozin & loud music isn't for everybody. I don't begrudge the drinkers their fun. I even kick in a case of Heineken, periodically. I don't like the effects of alcohol on my body. Simple as that. But, feel free to take another cheap shot at me, Sparkplug. It seems to be all you have in you. I would've thought the sting from our run-in 3+ yrs ago would've worn off for you. I guess not...

I didn’t say anything about “Boozen and loud music”. It’s about your failure to understand the purpose behind the whole beer rule thing.

As for the sting, there never was any…..I just don’t like you and your attitude. Now if you get off on bring up something that happened 3 years ago go for it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

I didn’t say anything about “Boozen and loud music”. It’s about your failure to understand the purpose behind the whole beer rule thing...

Sparky

Unfortunately, many who insist on the rules being followed (the "beerhounds") also don't understand the purpose behind them either. They just want to drink beer that someone else paid for.

I don't drink, but I've bought my share of beer. And enjoyed the fruits of "paying my dues."

Because those who I shared it with understood the real purpose of the "Beer Rules" too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

I didn’t say anything about “Boozen and loud music”. It’s about your failure to understand the purpose behind the whole beer rule thing...

Sparky

Unfortunately, many who insist on the rules being followed (the "beerhounds") also don't understand the purpose behind them either. They just want to drink beer that someone else paid for.

I don't drink, but I've bought my share of beer. And enjoyed the fruits of "paying my dues."

Because those who I shared it with understood the real purpose of the "Beer Rules" too.

I tend to agree, those that chase people down for beer are missing the point, aswell as those that dont buy ''beer''

The whole point at least as ive understood it is so you can show you have accomplished something and give others the sign to come ask you what you got done. Its a community thing

EOCS

I tend to agree, those that chase people down for beer are missing the point, as well as those that don't buy ''beer''

The whole point at least as I've understood it is so you can show you have accomplished something and give others the sign to come ask you what you got done. Its a community thing

And they also tell you about when they achieved that goal, what they did next, and so on.

It's totally a community thing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"Chili Rileno is sober. He stopped by the DZ in his travels and had a celebratory X00th jump. He went down to the store and bought root beer & vanilla ice cream and made floats for the dz. It was a great night and I don't remember anyone partaking in alcohol even as the night progressed."

Wow. I've (only) jumped at six DZs, & don't think I've ever not seen the beer light come on, on Saturday nights.

"I didn’t say anything about “Boozen and loud music”. It’s about your failure to understand the purpose behind the whole beer rule thing."

Of course, I get that part of it. You don't need booze for that.

"As for the sting, there never was any…..I just don’t like you and your attitude. Now if you get off on bring up something that happened 3 years ago go for it."

Yeah, right... That's why you were so enraged at the time. Whatever. Keep chewing on that bile of yours. I had let it go, & thought you had dropped it as well. After your last few PA posts, though. I don't like or respect you, either.

This is also a large part of why it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I actually went to a seventh DZ a few years back, to try it out. Some fool instructor who worked there started putting the bite on me to go buy a case of beer before I even filled out the damn waivers :S... I ended up never jumping there, & that DZ soon went under.

I remember when buying beer was a "badge of honor" and we all celebrated someone's "opportunity" to pony up (pun intended).

I'm not sure what some are bitching about, but why don't I buy the next case of beer and we'll trade stories. Salute!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I have a few jumps and a little time in the sport and last year I still bought beer on at least 6 occasions. When people chase your cut-away or help you out when your tired and in a hurry to go home or just because they deserve a bonus after a hot day it's the right thing to do. Remember, tomorrow you may need a favor, and what you do today might be remembered then! That being said, a thousand jumps isn't what it used to be when it comes to Skygod status (and No, I am not in that league either) so I say "beer" rules definitely still apply!

Part of the deal is that the commercialization and commoditization of skydiving means that building a community becomes less important for some people. If you go home before the beer light goes on every night, then you miss the reason for buying beer, and buying it becomes a penance.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

mjosparky

***Suit yourself, but you'll go thirsty around me. I buy it when I feel like it, not when the beer hounds chime up.

Sparky
Darn straight!

Don't tell anyone that this jump is a milestone, and no beer is owed. ;)

The downside of this tack is that no one can celebrate it with you, either. :(

:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

PiLFy

"Chili Rileno is sober. He stopped by the DZ in his travels and had a celebratory X00th jump. He went down to the store and bought root beer & vanilla ice cream and made floats for the dz. It was a great night and I don't remember anyone partaking in alcohol even as the night progressed."

Wow. I've (only) jumped at six DZs, & don't think I've ever not seen the beer light come on, on Saturday nights.

I'm sorry. He did it when the beer light came on. But, it was his choice to serve up RB floats and it made for such a great night of camaraderie that everyone just continued with the floats.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

That Community is there all day, wendy. It doesn't just come out when noses n cheeks get red. I'm far from the only jumper who says their Thank Yous & Goodbyes before an evening's carnage begins. I respect your right to enjoy the bevies of your choice. Respect my right to not like being around drinking, & carrying on.

Whether you drink or not, whether you want to buy 'beer' (which can be cupcakes if you want..and it is a lot like bringing treats to grade school) by leaving when your done you are missing out on where most of the learning used to and still should take place. We couldn't go home and watch youtube videos by ourselves. We hung out at the DZ all WEEKEND and learned all we could from the old farts. If there was still more of that done we wouldn't have to keep correcting things like unstowed brake lines.

God forbid you should be around for a safety meeting.:)

The time sparky feels a sting from a 200 jump wonder I'LL BUY BEER.:S

And to the OP, YES there is a Gold Wings Exemption. At least in my part of the world. But believe me we bought our share.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

YES there is a Gold Wings Exemption. At least in my part of the world.

I was wondering if someone was going to get around to mentioning that terminology and unwritten rule. The Gold Wings exemption, by which you are no longer obligated to buy beer after 1,000 jumps, seems to be a matter of local culture. I've seen it in respected in some places, and ignored in other parts of the country.

My personal view is this: One should only buy beer because they WANT to. Not because someone pressured them into it. Regardless of how many or how few jumps they have.