1 1
brenthutch

EV sales collapse

Fun fact - more money is now going into solar than into oil, and more is going into renewables than all fossil fuels.

=============================
 . . .Solar investments are expected to attract over $1 billion a day in 2023 with over $1.7 trillion slated to flow clean energy technologies such as EVs, renewables and storage. Overall, global investment in energy is projected to hit ~$2.8 trillion in the current year. 

Speaking to CNBC’s Arabile Gumede on Thursday, Birol said there was a “growing gap between the investment in fossil energy and investment [in] clean energy. Clean energy is moving fast--faster than many people realize. This is clear in the investment trends, where clean technologies are pulling away from fossil fuels. For every dollar invested in fossil fuels, about 1.7 dollars are now going into clean energy.”
==============================

Let's see how FOX News spins this.

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Solar-Energy/More-Money-Will-Flow-Into-Solar-Than-Oil-For-The-First-Time.html

14 hours ago, billvon said:

Yeah, an 82 year old widow down the street from us just bought one of the Volvo EV's.  (I know this because I am her tech support these days.)

4 hours ago, kallend said:

You write that like you think 82 is old.

Must be some repressive psychology at work here. Presumably it was a Volvo and not a Tesla because she expected it to last a long long time.

• Like 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, kallend said:

You write that like you think 82 is old.

Hi John,

Some people are old at 82, and some of us are not.

Jerry Baumchen

82 and counting

PS)  And, there is this:  Al Pacino: The Godfather star expecting fourth child, aged 83 - BBC News

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1

Hi folks,

3 choices:  Hmmm, Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3:  "Vital," says one environmental group. "Feasible," says the electric vehicle lobby. "Neither reasonable nor achievable," say traditional automakers.

How fast can the auto industry go electric? Debate rages as the U.S. sets new rules - OPB

Jerry Baumchen

33 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

This should get more sales going:  Big carmakers unite to build a charging network and reassure reluctant EV buyers : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

In other news, another car carrier, this one with 3000 cars on board, is on fire in the North Sea. Early finger pointing is at one of the 25 EV's on board. Last year one with 4000 luxury cars on board (including Bentleys which should never be mixed with other cars) burned and sank off the Azores. Again, EV batteries were in the blame circle. Not a good look. 

Time for a shareholder rebellion:

Survey Shows Elon Musk Is Driving Tesla Model 3 Owners Away From The Brand

And:

Tesla created secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints

Tesla years ago began exaggerating its vehicles’ potential driving distance – by rigging their range-estimating software. The company decided about a decade ago, for marketing purposes, to write algorithms for its range meter that would show drivers “rosy” projections for the distance it could travel on a full battery, according to a person familiar with an early design of the software for its in-dash readouts.

Then, when the battery fell below 50% of its maximum charge, the algorithm would show drivers more realistic projections for their remaining driving range, this person said. To prevent drivers from getting stranded as their predicted range started declining more quickly, Teslas were designed with a “safety buffer,” allowing about 15 miles (24 km) of additional range even after the dash readout showed an empty battery, the source said.

The directive to present the optimistic range estimates came from Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk, this person said.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

No. I'm talking about removing the clown from management.

Wikipedia: Shareholder rebellion

Shareholder rebellion occurs when the owners of a corporation work to throw out management or oppose their decisions.

That’s not going to happen. And if it did, the price of Tesla stock would collapse quickly because the main reason it’s so high is his fan boys have driven it there.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

No. I'm talking about removing the clown from management.

Wikipedia: Shareholder rebellion

Shareholder rebellion occurs when the owners of a corporation work to throw out management or oppose their decisions.

How Elon Musk Controls Tesla With Only a Minority Ownership Stake "Tesla's CEO has a complex form of control over the battery powered car company through his 22% equity stake on the one hand, and the company's super-majority voting rules on the other."

Just now, gowlerk said:

That’s not going to happen. ...

Right you are  Just like some other "tech" firms:

• "Mark Zuckerberg owns the majority of the voting rights to Facebook due to a dual class structure that weights certain shares over others.
  • Facebook’s Class B shares, controlled by Zuckerberg and a small group of insiders, has about 18 percent of the shares, but they also have 10 votes per share.
  • Surprisingly, it’s not that uncommon: 355 of the companies in the Russell 3000 (11.8 percent) have a dual voting-class structure."

The only remedy is to vote with your feet, i.e. sell.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

How Elon Musk Controls Tesla With Only a Minority Ownership Stake "Tesla's CEO has a complex form of control over the battery powered car company through his 22% equity stake on the one hand, and the company's super-majority voting rules on the other."

That is a 5 year old article.

Here is one from March: Tesla shareholders: Who owns the most TSLA stock?

Elon Musk is Tesla’s largest individual shareholder, owning 412.6 million shares, representing 13.04% of the stock.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:49 PM, gowlerk said:

That’s not going to happen. And if it did, the price of Tesla stock would collapse quickly because the main reason it’s so high is his fan boys have driven it there.

Yup - when tesla was the only game in town it was a different thing and the stock rose on its own merits. 

Now with loads of really good options on the market from automakers that actually know how to build a robust car, tesla is looking less and less appealing - anyone pinning their dreams on the cybertruck is smoking something IMO. Tesla was never an option for me because they don't do a proper wagon and I can't imagine living without the load space (and a pickup is not an option because they are dumb for most people!)

On 6/14/2023 at 8:34 PM, ryoder said:

So othe UK has their Karens as well.

Look for the logo on the sterring, wheel.

We've got plenty of parking warriors over here... but I struggle to believe that one's real.

She seems a bit too calm and coherent for someone having a completey irrational argument, and why on earth would she have thought it was idling in the first place?

On 7/29/2023 at 7:53 AM, ryoder said:

Tesla created secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints

Tesla years ago began exaggerating its vehicles’ potential driving distance – by rigging their range-estimating software. The company decided about a decade ago, for marketing purposes, to write algorithms for its range meter that would show drivers “rosy” projections for the distance it could travel on a full battery, according to a person familiar with an early design of the software for its in-dash readouts.

Then, when the battery fell below 50% of its maximum charge, the algorithm would show drivers more realistic projections for their remaining driving range, this person said. To prevent drivers from getting stranded as their predicted range started declining more quickly, Teslas were designed with a “safety buffer,” allowing about 15 miles (24 km) of additional range even after the dash readout showed an empty battery, the source said.

The directive to present the optimistic range estimates came from Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk, this person said.

And here comes the totally predictable customer lawsuit:

Angry Tesla customers sue firm over “grossly” exaggerated EV range Three Tesla drivers launch class action, alleging fraud and false advertising.

It’s even worse than they thought 

“Ford Motor said Thursday pushed back production targets for its electric vehicles, citing slower-than-expected adoption”

“Ford said it expects a Model e EBIT loss of $4.5 billion for the full year, up from its earlier forecast of a $3 billion loss for all of 2023.”

On 8/3/2023 at 7:51 PM, ryoder said:

And here comes the totally predictable customer lawsuit

The quote about misleading range loss in cold weather does ring true for me. 

My brother lives about 150 miles from me, and my Tesla (with 300 mi range) uses about 55% of range to get to his house in the summer, which seems reasonable given my 80 mph highway speed. But when the temps drop below 20F it probably took 80% (iirc) or more.  Some of that I chalk up to my winter tires being less efficient and my winter wheels also being less efficient, but although Telsa makes it clear that cold weather affects range it was surprising how much it changed.

52 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Nah, I get the same thing out of my plug in hybrid. Less range in winter. I ascribed it to battery magic, and left it at that. My memory is that my drill lasts less time in cold weather too  

Wendy P. 

That is odd.  My wife’s hybrid SUV has a 450+ mile range, takes two minutes to recharge, holds my kids, dog, wife, luggage and bikes on the back with no noticeable degradation in performance/range in cold weather.