JeffCa

What type was your first jump and why?

Tandem.
I wanted to skydive and had been talking about it since I was a kid but I never followed up on the idea for usual set of excuses:not having the money, the time, my parents not wanting it, not having the guts to do it, etc. etc.

About a year ago, my friend calls me on friday night: "Tomorrow is my birthday, do you want to try a tandem jump with me?" - Sure!
Saturday morning we jump.
Two weeks later I was doing AFF.

Best decision I made my whole life, my only regret is that I waited so stupidly long.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Scrumpot

Bootie suits were standard issue in 1970? Man, the AF was way ahead of its time!! B|

Hell yeah man... Those anti-exposure suits were really rad man. I never did find one that actually kept water out... but they did manage to keep a bunch of water in... once it all ran down to the feet... That made for some fun trying to climb into rafts and then onto the pickup boats.:S

BaronVonBoll

military static line for a start

For skydiving it was I.A.D (Instructor assisted deployment)
The instructor holds the pilot chute as you exit the plane then throws it into the wind deploying your main. This wasn,t an option in your poll!

I realised later that I forgot all of my emergency services friends (military, smoke jumpers, etc) out there, but I guess they chose "other". If you meant that IAD wasn't an option, I considered that as solo, along with AFF and SL. I was basically trying to tease out how many of us started on tandem, so all other options can go together.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

HUPRA

The MC-1 is steerable; I was under the impression that it is pretty widely used by US Airborne units?

As rob pointed out. It isn't widely used.

As I pointed out it is sometimes used.

Not all paratroopers in large formation are getting training on the old (can't believe I just said that) -1 or the MC6/SF10/FS10 variants. However even in the bigger units they are occasionally exposed. In times past they even had to go to school. 99 percent of the time they are jumping a T10D or T11.

Cheers.
Propblast

propblast

***The MC-1 is steerable; I was under the impression that it is pretty widely used by US Airborne units?

As rob pointed out. It isn't widely used.

As I pointed out it is sometimes used.

Not all paratroopers in large formation are getting training on the old (can't believe I just said that) -1 or the MC6/SF10/FS10 variants. However even in the bigger units they are occasionally exposed. In times past they even had to go to school. 99 percent of the time they are jumping a T10D or T11.

Cheers.

Thanks for the clarification, jumped MC-1 at Ft Bragg and assumed it was widely used....

Tandem at the old Skydive St.Louis in Bowling Green,MO in 1993. There were suppose to about 5 of us from an MC. Everyone backed out and didn't go. I went and never looked back. I did the tandem due to the freefall as opposed to the static line jump. Met great people along the way. This last weekend, met some great people at Gold Coast Skydivers.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Tandem was a gift.

The tandem instructor told me I could do it by myself at about 8k and I wanted to jump out right there just to get down and sign up before the other 3 did (my brothers).

I had no idea it was a sport, people competed, there was more to it than tandem ops, and especially, that any one society could consume so much alcohol.
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.

August 1997, 17 yrs old. Day one airborne school Ft. Benning, Ga, 34 ft mockup tower is what I count as my first. Had to get in a "rig" pass off the static cord and exit out. Done incorrectly your still gonna fall and probably going to die. But officially 3 1/2 weeks later... still 17 "Hollywood" jump from C-141. 1000ft altitude, round canopy. 4 seconds of jerking my body into a cinched up knot- nice big green round. Prepared for plf....THUD....oh my god that f'ing hurt. Ironically, was jumping at 82nd at Ft. Bragg before I could buy cigarettes for myself.

First skydive April 19th 2014, aff. Despite the DZO trying to persuade me to do the static line, I CHOSE aff. Good choice for me. I had static lined to death in the 82nd, wanted to experience free fall. Costs more but it is exactly what I wanted.

SL out of 182; only planned on doing it once, figured if I did a tandem I wouldn't learn anything about myself. once I landed, instructor asked me if I was going to get my license. hadn't even crossed my mind until she asked. glad I did.