slotperfect

Skydive City (ZHills) Airport Access - Please Sign Petition

It's not really an FAA thing. The funding is from Aviation fuel taxes (federal obviously) but the money is coming from the FLORIDA Dept of Transportation, so things have transferred somewhere along the way.

FAA has already stated that the City can do whatever they want, which is our issue. The City is stating that they are being 'told' to do it, which is not true and the FAA confirmed it.

We surpassed 2500 signatures today. Thanks so much for everyone that has supported this and I expect the City will take notice. Most of the City Council members were elected with between 200 and 400 votes. I might have to brag about our results.

I hand delivered printed lists of the petition signers to the City and the Airport management today and we will be on the agenda of the Airport Authority on Monday at 530pm at City Hall if anyone is interested.

thanks again everyone, the support is overwhelming. The petition will still remain open for a few more days

While not an expert at all, I am pretty sure I have reason to believe that the swoop pond is home to the Amblema neislerii. Which is listed as endangered. Any construction within 400 meters should be carefully considered.

Just a thought.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

We surpassed 2500 signatures today. Thanks so much for everyone that has supported this and I expect the City will take notice. Most of the City Council members were elected with between 200 and 400 votes. I might have to brag about our results.

I think most of those signatures from our national and international sport, are not in a position to vote for the local city council there.

If it impinges on the swoop area, can you not argue that the fence will present a hazard to life and limb.

That argument worked for me one time, back in the day when we changed our student rigs to squares and the airport wanted to build a fence which ran close to our landing area.

Fortunately the decision makers were all involved in aviation at the time, and saw my point.

But that was back in the day when common sense was a lot more common........
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Lots more to it of course, but this will cramp our business and slow down the operation. We may have to cancel the CP Nationals in May if they build a fence that interferes with the swoop pond and creates a hazard. We are under contractual obligation to host it. The City might be able to build a fence, but that also does not free them of the tortuous consequences if they do so.

Could you not threaten to sue them for loss of earnings and any charges incurred for breaching your contract to host the CP Nationals? I'm fairly sure that it would be substantially more than the cost of the fencing depending on how many years the contract runs for.

just my 0.02c as an outsider.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

That is pretty much the case. The City actually HAS the right to do anything they want, even on our leased property (which physically is on the airport property).

They have every right to, but they are not immune to damages nor compensation. Largely this is the case that we are making. It is right in the lease, article 13, regarding government regulations that improvements and change scan be made by the entities, but not without every best effort to preserve the rights of the tenant and if they cannot, then not without compensation.

I expect the compensation will far outweigh the value of cutting us off from airport access.

The RV park in an 'incompatible use' on the airport and that is fact from the FAA and other aviation agencies.

However it also have always been there, has always been approved to be there (in our lease) so we argue that the RV park is a 'approved activity' and the tenants are therefore 'approved' to be there. Don't like it or you need to change it? Fine then MOVE it. But don't build barricades that solve YOUR RV park problem and create a hazard and dysfunctional uses of our property, which again, you already approved.

I think most of those signatures from our national and international sport, are not in a position to vote for the local city council there.

Yes, but I don't know if they will see my notes I put when I signed, but if they do.... I itemized all the money I spent at the DZ, and which types of establishments earned money from me (hotels, restaurants, employees and freelancers of the DZ who are local residents, rental car agencies, etc) all received my revenue. As an out of state tourist my money adds a lot to the tax base (city money to spend) and employment of people (who pay taxes and elect people). Perhaps my out-of-state cash influx is more important to the economy than in-state re-cycling of the same money. Most cities try REAL hard to get tourist money.... This DZ is a valuable asset to the community. If it loses tourist appeal (in my case if Bram no did not have his rating course there) – the city would have lost $3,500-$4,000 in out of state cash into their economy. I am one of many.

We will be making sure that everyone on the City Council, the Airport Authority and the City Management gets to see the comments and the signatures.

So far, we brought it all to the airport authority, 2700 signatures, no one even batted an eye, which is a sad commentary.

As someone said, federal/state money involved and no one seems to care that someone is getting the shaft.

We will be making sure that everyone on the City Council, the Airport Authority and the City Management gets to see the comments and the signatures.

So far, we brought it all to the airport authority, 2700 signatures, no one even batted an eye, which is a sad commentary.

As someone said, federal/state money involved and no one seems to care that someone is getting the shaft.

In spite of the economy there seems to be a lot of homeland security money being spread around.

Our county mounties got a brand new turbo C-206 for only $!.5 million all fedeeral $$. Lots of bells and whistles: to find the bad guys in the dark etc. We're located minute away from the port of tacoma.

Gotta keep the commies:S Oops me bad terrorists away.:ph34r:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/12/17/2405419/new-police-airplane-on-its-way.html
One Jump Wonder

Ever since this thread was started I have been meaning to stop and take pictures of an airport fence that I drive by (once in a while). I finally took the time to stop.

Normal "security" fence
[inline fence2.jpg]

End of normal "security" fence
[inline fence1.jpg]
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

jumpwally

forgot all about this thread,,,how did it turn out ? how bad is it ? thanks

Pretty much a nothingburger...for the most part the fence runs around the airport perimeter. It is topped in bright yellow so it is very easy to see from the ground and in the air. I'm guessing there were some strongly worded letters etc exchanged which put the kibosh on the original dumbass plan.

There is a mini fence that encloses some of the RV park... Serves no purpose that I can tell other than someone made money installing it. It is a bit of a goof. I'm sure someone will run into it someday. People aren't supposed to hit trees and buildings yet they do that too...lol

Don't land out / in a tree to the south and you won't even know it is there (no more easy cut through).

100% success rate with the new fence - zero terrorist infiltrations since installation.

It would be far easier to just fly out of a grass strip that has no security. I know of a few within a short flight of zhills.

It's a dumb idea but makes people think it's more secure.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message