pilotdave

Logbook Signatures

Speaking from my experiences attending and preparing candidates for AFF courses with Billy Rhodes, he only wants to see logbook entries (jumps, FFT, signatures) through 6 hours of FFT.

I have not comment on logging jumps in groups other than I wouldn't do it that way - too much information is lost that way.
Arrive Safely

John

I have not comment on logging jumps in groups other than I wouldn't do it that way - too much information is lost that way.

Thanks for clarification,

I am not concerned about loosing the information since I keep track of all training jumps in separate excel database plus all these jumps are on video.

I jump all over the place and have never had an issue with whether my log book entries were signed or not. It's very, very rare that my currency is even checked at most DZ's. I know at WFFC they look at your log book and stamp it. I assume to check jump numbers. But most boogies only require 50 jumps if not just an A license.

Since I got a ProTrack, I log my jumps about once a month. I jump with a camera so it's easy for me to determine what a jump was. I may have missed a hop&pop or two, but so far it's been accurate.

I've gotten to the point I log a days jumps on a single logbook entry unless it was something special. I just create a table on a logbook entry that has jump number, exit altitude, and any other out of the ordinary info like jumping a different canopy, hop&pop, etc.

As for signatures I get them if I want them, but there's no measure for collaborating the jump, who witnessed it, and is the signature from a witness. So that requirement is useless. If someone logged their jumps as I do and wanted a rating/license that required signed jumps they could easily get them signed by their buddy when they need it.

theQ

totally silly question. If I jump solo whom should sign it for me ?

I'm pretty sloppy about getting my log book signed, but the couple of hot air balloon jumps I did, I made a point of getting the pilot to sign those entries in my log book. My home DZ has all the jumps I've done there in their software and have taken to Emailing me a summary of all the jumps I've done for them whenever I do another one there. Apart from a couple of balloon jumps and a dozen at Eloy, that accounts for all the jumps I've done so far. I thought I'd missed a couple of jumps in my logbook, but the numbers add up.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

You, the pilot of the plane, or any jumper who saw it.

Not sure self-signed jumps will get much credibility if you travel to DZs where nobody knows you. One or two self-signed maybe, but I once had to explain to a guy that having 50 jumps signed by yourself isn't really a good idea.

Always get someone else to sign, even if its just the pilot.

that's where I'm at now.

I had gotten to the point where I thought, 12 years in sport, D license, almost 7,000 jumps, TI, PRO, knowing someone at damn near every DZ...what do I need a log book for?
I generally don't even get questioned once everything is verified.
I had long thought that should be a benefit of the D license...proof.

Now, looking back....there's a lot of good stuff in those things.
Memories, places, faces, events, some long gone by now.

I think I need to get my log books restarted. I've lost enough friends I missed getting signatures from.

***To me, the passing of time brought on a new significance for the signatures, jogging memories of friends, and the signatures became more important than the jumps logged...

Nice! What's that "EC-9" number for Carl Boenish?

i can't answer that for Carl (in other words, I don't know but will ask him when I see him)...

***To me, the passing of time brought on a new significance for the signatures, jogging memories of friends, and the signatures became more important than the jumps logged...

Nice! What's that "EC-9" number for Carl Boenish?

Yosemite Cliff jumper - El Capitan Award

fastphil

To me, the passing of time brought on a new significance for the signatures, jogging memories of friends, and the signatures became more important than the jumps logged...

So sometimes I wrote in the person's name next to their signature... so that 20 years later I'd know who the scrawl really was from!