Floats18

Best Skydiving Movie EVER (Chris Cowden)

Thanks to the dudes wondering how to stick new canopys in equally new containers I came across this gem:

http://www.sidsrigging.com/galleries/galleries_index.htm

Click the Cowden movie and you won't be dissappointed!!

Granted - I probably wouldn't think it was that funny if I was wearing the green racer :P
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

This movie sends the wrong message.................because that is funny as hell, and looks like something I would do. But I know it is probAbly wrong. IM SO CONFUSED;)
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

NOT FUNNY AT ALL. >:(

Especially considering the "haze". It is every skydiver's right to make a conscious decision to exit the plane based on the spot, if they want.

Two weeks ago my girlfriend and I were doing a 2-way belly and we were first out. The winds were high and she is lightly windloaded. I told her on the ground, we can not get out of the airplane until we are sure we are upwind of the spot. When the greenlight came on, we were still slightly downwind of the spot. I climbed halfway out but held up my hand telling her to wait. After 10 seconds or so, some hotshot freeflier pushed her out the door past me, so I exited with her.

She BARELY made it back to the LZ. Even at a 1.5WL I almost didn't make it back. There were NO OUTS downwind of the LZ. The freeflier who pushed her was under the assumption that we were wasting his time (and screwing his spot) because we made him wait 10 seconds. Well guess what? I had my head out the door, not him, and I could see that the winds had our groundspeed at a CRAWL. Our ten seconds in the door had virtually no affect on his spot (or the rest of the plane's) due to the ridiculously low groundspeed, and the fact that the greenlight came on too early and NOBODY should have been getting out yet.

Landing off, in high winds, in some places (places with lots of trees, powerlines, roads and houses) can hurt seriously or kill. It is NOT FUNNY to push somebody out of the plane, especially if they are first out and you cannot see the spot. At worst, it is extremely dangerous. At best, it is RUDE.

Stop laughing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Context is everything.
What that FF'er did to your GF deserved a punch in the beak.
But I don't think you realize just how many outs there are in rural Upstate New York where this DZ is. It's practically nothing but outs.
So relax...

The facts:

Pilot said GO! because he was spotting with GPS and we needed to get out now. The RW group was up to about 15 seconds in the door and they were NOT spotting, they hadn't decided who was doing the count, so they were all just sitiing there staring at each other. The pilot was saying GO! again and we needed to GO.

that's not funny, that's just a annoying group of jumpers not getting out.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I'm gonna have to apologise here for my post.

I jump at a very small drop zone where everyone knows eachother very well.

We spot manually and we have an incredible amount of outs (indiana).

I presumed that the video was at a DZ similar to mine where everyone is active in spotting the plane/ knowing eachother/ knowing eachother's dive plan.

I agree that in a situation where the flat flyers are unprepared this could have been an incident.

My bad on the joke -

I'm just weather grounded and extremely easily entertained
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Holy crap people! Everyone involved got a good laugh out of it and the video IS funny.

Wow! The first time this video was linked here in the forums, EVERYONE thought it was funny. THIS time some people are taking it so damn seriously. Weird.

The RW group climbed out and no one was counting. They all were just staring at each other and nodding. The pilot was emphatically telling us to go, so I gave them a little push. They went and had a fine skydive, then we went and we all landed just fine. They were not forced to go before the spot was good. They were not forced out aggressively to cause injury. If you watch the video, I gave the one guy a pretty light push. In fact, he started going on his own once I pushed him. One of the guys even thanked me because he said they may have sat there forever if I didn't.

It was actually all pretty amusing. I wasn't mad at all. The mad look on my face is actually just coincidental. When I climed out, the pilot yelled something else and I was just determined to get going at that point. The video is funny because it looks like I was pissed, but was actually not at all.

Ok, that is all the explaining I am going to do. I can assure everyone that there was nothing dangerous about it. If you think so, then I will allow you your opinion. The fact of the matter was, by the time I pushed them, the pilot was almost demanding we get out now, so at that point I was more concerned with that.

Jeesh. We all just thought it was funny.:S

Is the exit order at the DZ not largest to smallest? In any event pushing someone out of an aircraft is unsafe under any condition. What if someone's hacky would've caught on something and dumped the main right there? There's always another day to jump out of a plane and execute the perfect sky dive.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Fact of the matter is, it was THEY who were going to cause the danger of landing out due to a bad spot, so I gave them a little help.

Even if they took way too long, they would not "cause the danger of landing out" for anybody after them. Everybody else can (and should) still spot, and everybody else can still ask for a go around if need be.

What if there was a 747 flying under the plane that only they could see? What if the guy you pushed was being told by somebody outside that his chest strap was undone (and you could not hear or see this)? I still don't think it's ever justified to push a person out of an airplane (except in emergency, which your case was not). It is the jumper's choice.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Chris pushed them out the door because they'd forgotten to organise an exit count and would've sat there forever.

The correct spelling is organize ;)

Anyway ... A 4 way team that used to jump in Hollister way back when, used to sit at the door and wait for their spot to be just right. A guy named Kevin cured them of that habit. After causing us to barely make it back too many times in a row, they were at it again. Kevin planted his foot firmly on the ass of one of the flyers and assisted them in performing an acrobatic exit.

Edit: No spelling errors were corrected. I simply removed Kevin's last name.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Dude, watch the video again. You are really blowing things out of proportion.

My bad? :$ I posted before i watched the video. I didn't know it was a cessna either. Either way, upon further viewiengs of the video someone could have hit the tail, door anything.

C'mon Chris, pushing people out of the door ain't cool. I was on a jump run once years ago at SDSL, we were at altitude and there was a 6 way RW group that refused to exit the aircraft because of cloud cover. (There were some holes) I was incensed, the pilot did another run, and they still refused to exit the aircraft, i did something that day i swore i would never do again i exited the jumpship out of order I got an earfull when i got down to the ground.

Good thing was after i bailed i looked up at the jumpship and everyone was bailing.

P.S.
PM Sent
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Holy crap people! Everyone involved got a good laugh out of it and the video IS funny.

Wow! The first time this video was linked here in the forums, EVERYONE thought it was funny. THIS time some people are taking it so damn seriously. Weird.

Jeesh. We all just thought it was funny.:S

mAYBE PEOPLE ARE TAKING SPOTTING AND AIRCRAFT SAFETY A LITTLE MORE SERIOUSLY, BOTH GOODS THINGS
Crap sorry for caps:)
On a side note: Chris you mentioned that the pilot spots the plane, whilst we run a Caravan here and the pilots spots via GPS and winds aloft, it is STILL our job to physically check the spot before exit, if it's not good for us we dont go. As it should be, a go around is almost always an option.
(I'm not in the slightest refering to the video, I also found it funny;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?