1 1
brenthutch

Two feet of global warming devastate the NE

40 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Is this climate or weather related?

At least when he had a TI job at US Government Subsidized Skydive Happy Valley before they folded (f'n how?) he had another audience. Now it's just us and his never ending song. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murps2000 said:

But not both?

It’s weather, just weather.  Until meteorological phenomenon fall outside the range of natural variability it is all just weather. Floods, droughts, hurricanes, heatwaves, cold snaps…it is all just weather.  When these things become more frequent or more powerful than in the past, I will rethink.  Until then, it’s just weather.

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s weather, just weather.  Until meteorological phenomenon fall outside the range of natural variability it is all just weather. Floods, droughts, hurricanes, heatwaves, cold snaps…it is all just weather.  When these things become more frequent or more powerful than in the past, I will rethink.  Until then, it’s just weather.

If it’s just weather what is the purpose of the thread? And can you define the natural variability range for us? IOW, if there were no snow or 4 feet of snow, would that be outside the natural range?

3 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

If it’s just weather what is the purpose of the thread? And can you define the natural variability range for us? IOW, if there were no snow or 4 feet of snow, would that be outside the natural range?

If it happened in the past it is in the range of natural variability.  I posted years ago that the reason for the impasse was that the alarmists would claim that the biggest xxx in a hundred years was proof of climate change while I maintained it was proof that it was no worse than it was a hundred years ago.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

If it happened in the past it is in the range of natural variability.  I posted years ago that the reason for the impasse was that the alarmists would claim that the biggest xxx in a hundred years was proof of climate change while I maintained it was proof that it was no worse than it was a hundred years ago.

Okay now I see. You can’t nail it down. Everyone says you move goal posts but I think you just make them infinitely wide for your team.

4 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Okay now I see. You can’t nail it down. Everyone says you move goal posts but I think you just make them infinitely wide for your team.

You're giving him too much strategic credit...It's simpler than that: he's right, stupid scientists are wrong.

46 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

I just checked outside and there is no snow in San Diego.  And I did my research and it turns out that ski mountains MAKE snow, and there are a lot of those in the Northeast, and the snow gets everywhere.  But is the mainstream media reporting on THAT?  Of course not!  

Snow is faux.

Brent has proven time and time again that he doesn’t understand how single data points relate to statistical sets. 

He barely reads more than a single paragraph into any article before reposting it in order to get people riled up.

This is not a rational person you can convince via discourse and reasoned argument. Brent has absolutely no interest in expanding his understanding  on ANY subject or changing his opinion. 

Surely you all have better things to do with your time.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, yoink said:

He barely reads more than a single paragraph into any article before reposting it in order to get people riled up.

No, he barely reads more than the TITLE before reposting. He doesn't get to the first paragraph...ever.

Then he even gets the title wrong...

37 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I tried to get him to make an actual prediction, it was like trying to nail jell-o to a wall...

I gave you my prediction/s.  You just don’t like them.  Let’s review a few.

Globally dependence on fossil fuels will continue unabated 

CO2 levels will continue to increase 

Weather events will remain within historical norms 

Global food production will remain at or near record levels 

Northern sea ice will remain and Polar bears will be just fine

The notion of a Green New Deal will remain in the realm of magical thinking (very expensive magical thinking)

EVs will not overtake IC vehicles in the next four years (Olof predicted they will)

They are the basically same predictions I have been making for the past decade.  I have to say they have stood the test of time. On the other hand, go back and watch Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth and see how well that has worn.

To be fair I did blow the one about Tesla going bankrupt  ^_^

33 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I gave you my prediction/s.

Using the vaguest words possible :rofl: with that wording, you should take up writing horoscopes!

39 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I have to say they have stood the test of time.

Yes horoscopes are still pretty popular these days for "predictions" :rofl:

On 1/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, brenthutch said:

You’re just pissed off because 

image.png.0dc621961c53b041dcbefcf5df84dbdb.png

“meanwhile in the Arctic”

So there is quite a bit less sea ice and in areas where it used to be passed the 1981-2010 median levels it has now shrunk to less than those same median levels.

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

So there is quite a bit less sea ice and in areas where it used to be passed the 1981-2010 median levels it has now shrunk to less than those same median levels.

Don't feed the troll, he posts misleading graphs all the time and he also can't read graphs. Take it from the Polar Science Center.