2 2
billvon

New push by conservatives to ban books

13 minutes ago, kallend said:

Well, he attended Oxford on scholarship (rather than having a place bought for him by daddy), became president of the Oxford Union, and won prizes there in Latin and ancient Greek, it seems he is pretty smart.  He also worked as a journalist in the Brussels office of the Telegraph, being fluent in French as well as English, so presumably he can write for himself.  Given all that, I doubt he needed a ghost writer.

Yet "Fundamentally both are conmen, snake-oil salesmen, unprincipled demagogues who won power by exploiting the grievances of the left-behind with promises they knew they could never keep and remedies they knew would never work"

Boris, like trump has shown contempt for those that voted for him. He partied it up while others sacrificed.Now the trust of his party, the public and his supporters is gone. His legacy isn't criminal like trump. But his self dealing, like trump lead to his downfall.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Well, he attended Oxford on scholarship (rather than having a place bought for him by daddy), became president of the Oxford Union, and won prizes there in Latin and ancient Greek, it seems he is pretty smart.  He also worked as a journalist in the Brussels office of the Telegraph, being fluent in French as well as English, so presumably he can write for himself.  Given all that, I doubt he needed a ghost writer.

With all that education one would think he could have learned how to comb his hair. 

10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Somewhere in the middle is the distinction between free speech and yelling “fire” in a theater.

9 hours ago, metalslug said:

Certainly, although the 'fire' law is rather unambiguous; one does need to actually yell 'fire!' rather than 'hot air!' to be charged.

Just a side note, as something I've picked up from several lawyers I follow on Twitter - yelling "Fire" in a theatre IS protected speech. The original ruling that it wasn't was overturned shortly thereafter.

3 hours ago, mistercwood said:

Just a side note, as something I've picked up from several lawyers I follow on Twitter - yelling "Fire" in a theatre IS protected speech. The original ruling that it wasn't was overturned shortly thereafter.

Dayum. Well there goes a great example, shot to hell by facts. I hate when that happens

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Dayum. Well there goes a great example, shot to hell by facts. I hate when that happens

Wendy P. 

News to me too.  However, you would still be responsible for the consequences of your speech.  If you intentionally cause a panic and people are injured or killed as a result, you will be charged.  

Don

On 1/29/2022 at 9:28 PM, metalslug said:

In your opinion; are both actions 'right' or are both 'wrong' ?  As you have correctly pointed out the double standard, you would surely not want to be guilty of the same ?

One is wrong, the other is neither right nor wrong.

Twitter is a private company, they can decide who they want to give a platform to and who they cannot. As long as they do not ban am identifiable group en masse, I am fine with Twitter banning those who break their stated terms. Same reason I am fine with "no shirt, no service" signs.

Who knew that DeSantis really was capable of recognizing he made a mistake?

"With objecting - if you go to a school board meeting objecting. If you have a kid in school, okay. But if you're somebody who doesn't have a kid in school and you're gonna object to 100 books? No, I don't think that's appropriate. So I think the legislature is interested in limiting what the number of challenges you can do, and maybe making it be contingent on whether you actually have kids in school or not. We just want to make sure we're not trying to incentivize frivolous objections or any type of games being played."

DeSantis Walks Back FL Book Ban Statute He Once Championed