5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Yeah, it’s not a coincidence that he’s started calling everyone in opposing him fascists at the same time he’s started leaning strongly and explicitly into facist rhetoric. It’s a strategy for he gives voters several ways to ignore the criticism against him. One is ‘you’re only calling him that because he called you it first’, or ‘I can’t be bothered to find out which one of you is right so I’ll just ignore both accusations’ or even ‘so what if he is a fascist? He says you are too so I’ve got no choice but to vote for one’. 

It also shows that it’s not just off the cuff remarks or random chance that he’s saying stuff that happens to sound fascist - it’s a conscious, premeditated strategy to lean into the language of the 1930s. 

I agree and it is interesting to see how much influence he has had on popular language. 

I've never been interested in history and my knowledge is probably about 1-2 out of 10. All this has made me curious and I'll probably spend the Christmas break reading up a bit on pre 2nd world war history. 

6 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I agree and it is interesting to see how much influence he has had on popular language. 

I've never been interested in history and my knowledge is probably about 1-2 out of 10. All this has made me curious and I'll probably spend the Christmas break reading up a bit on pre 2nd world war history. 

How to Become a Dictator

I found it somewhat terrifying how this series could be applied to Trump. Entirely.

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There were people saying the exact same thing starting in 2015.

The world is a very different place to 2015. Covid has been a huge catalyst for change and has divided people and fuelled conspiracy theories.

I am vaccinated and don't believe there is anything sinister about the vacs, but I do believe how it was handled here in  Australia was wrong. It has eroded trust in government and that can increase radicalism. Two examples, firstly government manipulated and changed statistics regarding vaccine injuries. I had anti vacs friends (why are so many skydivers in that camp?) who claimed the vacs killed more people than Covid. I showed them on the Australian Bureau of Statistics they were wrong and it was roughly 300 deaths to 9000 deaths. 3 months later in the same argument I pulled up ABS to show someone else and it was now 7 deaths due to the vaccine with a note that they no longer accepted Dr reported deaths due to Vacs, however they continued to use the same metrics for Covid deaths. That kind of thing erodes trust. 2nd example was the WA Government trying to increase vaccination rates and so they made it mandatory to be vaccinated to buy alcohol- including at a drive through bottle shop. That was direct coercion with no medical basis as all other shops did not have that requirement. Again undermining the argument of science.

Lastly Trump is not stupid and has learned from his first term. Put all this together and a Trump dictatorship is more likely this time around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nigel99 said:

...Trump is not stupid and has learned from his first term. Put all this together and a Trump dictatorship is more likely this time around.

I fully agree that a full blown dictatorship is more likely this time. 

The "Freedumb Caucus" is full blown Fascists.  

The R leadership and their '2025 plan' is clearly going to destroy our democracy if they're allowed to implement it.  

My point is that Trump has spouted authoritarian garbage from the beginning. 

Anyone who paid attention could see that. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The R leadership and their '2025 plan' is clearly going to destroy our democracy if they're allowed to implement it.  

50% of Americans have IQ < 100

Apparently highly educated workers are leaving Red States.

https://newrepublic.com/article/176854/republican-red-states-brain-drain

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-07-19/as-professionals-flee-anti-abortion-policies-red-states-start-to-see-a-brain-drain

https://www.chronicle.com/article/in-these-red-states-professors-are-eyeing-the-exits

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/26/us-abortion-ban-providers-doctors-leaving-states

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Project 2025 is relatively clear in its fascism.

Fascism has proven to be quite popular in several places at several times. There is considerable support for the Maga brand of it right now. And there is an electoral system in place that favours it along with a lack of enthusiasm for the alternative. Bad things just a shot away.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

Fascism has a long history even in America. The Lincoln Projects latest.

In a blatant exercise of partisan corruption, the Rs in Georgia decided to form a 'commission' to regulate prosecutors.

While supposedly aimed at trying to:

discipline and remove wayward prosecutors, saying it will curb “far-left prosecutors” who are “making our communities less safe.”

The reality was that it was aimed directly at prosecutor Willis, who is prosecuting Trump.

Source:https://apnews.com/article/brian-kemp-georgia-prosecutor-district-attorney-remove-7987cd538ab3ccdc713ae4d2b2aec32b

Fortunately, the Georgia Supreme Court saw through the sham and said basically that this is outside their purview. 

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-prosecutors-district-attorneys-fani-willis-trump-c8cd9469a7b5bca6ff139d32cf6f9ce2

There was a very real threat that Georgia Rs would be able to remove Willis and thwart Trump's prosecution (and all the others).

Not the end of it, but a good sign that the judiciary isn't going to let the Rs just do whatever.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

In a blatant exercise of partisan corruption, the Rs in Georgia decided to form a 'commission' to regulate prosecutors.....

Not the end of it, but a good sign that the judiciary isn't going to let the Rs just do whatever.

Corruption is like corrosion. Some of it you see some you don't. Its always at work to weaken the strength. Without constant vigilance it will wear the structure until it fails.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, feuergnom said:

Had to recheck that one - these pictures are very similar if not the same as the nazi rallies in germany and austria

I really didn't know about that

Chilling really. Now consider the juxtaposition of trump's speeches now. Labeling immigrants, leftists and democrats as vermin, whose existence will be crushed.

10 minutes ago, feuergnom said:

Had to recheck that one - these pictures are very similar if not the same as the nazi rallies in germany and austria

I really didn't know about that

There were a lot of prominent Americans who were Nazi supporters in the 30s. One of the most notable was Charles Lindbergh.

He even visited Germany to see their progress in aviation. Apparently he didn't understand what they were really up to.

https://jhvonline.com/nazi-supporters-in-the-us-before-the-war-p25236-152.htm

The rally shown in the above post was the biggest. 
The video doesn't show the protestors outside.

There were a LOT of them.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/american-nazism-and-madison-square-garden

Poor John Eastman, a co-conspirator of Trump's who STILL claims Trump won the election, is having trouble paying his legal bills!   He recently claimed that he has only been able to fundraise "about a third of what we've already incurred" and he is still spending, spending, spending.  The self-proclaimed "“legal architect" of Trump's attempt to subvert the election has even had to raid his wife's life savings.  But he is “trying very hard not to completely deplete my wife's retirement fund” so . . . kudos?  I guess?  For trying not to take it all?

In what I am sure is completely unrelated news, a recent survey found that the majority of single men who are Trump supporters are concerned that they will not be able to find partners of the opposite sex due to ideological differences.

26 minutes ago, billvon said:

In what I am sure is completely unrelated news, a recent survey found that the majority of single men who are Trump supporters are concerned that they will not be able to find partners of the opposite sex due to ideological differences.

The fairer sex has become UNFAIR and no longer knows to stay in their place.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, billvon said:

...In what I am sure is completely unrelated news, a recent survey found that the majority of single men who are Trump supporters are concerned that they will not be able to find partners of the opposite sex due to ideological differences.

Republicans are ready to move the goalposts when it comes to finding partners of the opposite sex. Dating democrats, vaping, groping your partner in public places, etc. are all acceptable when you want to appeal to a partner.Lauren Boebert has shown the way.

50 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Republicans are ready to move the goalposts when it comes to finding partners of the opposite sex. Dating democrats, vaping, groping your partner in public places, etc. are all acceptable when you want to appeal to a partner.Lauren Boebert has shown the way.

Well, having higher standards than Lauren Boebert is . . . really, really not saying much.  Apparently more liberal women do have higher standards, and conservative men are lamenting that.

Ah, remember the good old days when it was the conservative women who tended to be . . . conservative?

Hi folks,

This rat is leaving every ship:   the Nevada attorney general’s office is investigating the six Nevada activists who met and signed false paperwork saying they were the state’s true electors

Trump’s Georgia co-defendant Kenneth Chesebro meeting with investigators in other states | The Hill

It's looking like a save yourself effort.  I guess those GOP folks do not like the thought of jail/prison.

Or, maybe he is just a RINO.

Jerry Baumchen

45 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

This rat is leaving every ship:   the Nevada attorney general’s office is investigating the six Nevada activists who met and signed false paperwork saying they were the state’s true electors

Trump’s Georgia co-defendant Kenneth Chesebro meeting with investigators in other states | The Hill

It's looking like a save yourself effort.  I guess those GOP folks do not like the thought of jail/prison.

Or, maybe he is just a RINO.

Jerry Baumchen

The gag order has been reinstated on Trump, but Trump managed to slip in an attack on the judges wife before it was reinstated. 

One of Trump's key messages that is based on fact/truth is that the political elite are treated differently to Joe Average. Trump's trial and treatment in the courts is possibly the most public and blatant evidence of the truth that the rich and powerful get special treatment, and no he is not a victim of the system. 

Globally politicians get far too much and have lost sight of the fact they are servants of the people, not masters.

• Like 2

Trump is currently arguing that his case in Georgia should be thrown out, because if they can include him in a RICO case along with lawyers of his, then you had to include "millions of people throughout the country” who believed election fraud had taken place, and were working toward the same goal as Trump and his lieutenants.

His team also said that there are lots of bank robbers out there, “but the mere fact that they all rob banks and have the same goal and many of the same methods of operation, does not mean that all American bank robbers constitute one RICO enterprise, despite the fact that they are people who commit the same crime, for the same reason."

Where have I heard that before?

===================================

Otter : Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did. [winks]  But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

• Like 4