8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

The “real world” exists and it cuts both ways. In an interview I was asked if I had ever had to make decisions in a high stress environment… I shared an example from Ranger School, she told my boss that she thought I was having flashbacks and was on the brink of calling security.  Social norms cut both ways.

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

So you don't think my son would encounter difficulties?  It doesn't matter what my view of the real world is in this example.

No way we're going to Macy's.  I think he'd be more of a Kohl's kind of guy.

I do. I also think it's a misfortune of our times that he would so suffer. Maybe 2000 years ago in Caligula's Rome you would have had an easier talk. Maybe in a very unlikely to be more progressive culture in the US your task would be less complicated. Even today, if his mental health was sufficiently important to you, there are cultures you could move to that are vastly more progressive and understanding than in a lot of America. The thing is that it wouldn't, necessarily, be about today or where you are. 

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

So you don't think my son would encounter difficulties? 

Probably.  Pretty much anyone other than white straight cis males end up with difficulties in our society.  (Of course, if you ask those white straight males you'd hear nothing but all the problems they have getting respect and having to wear masks.)  Fortunately those difficulties have been mitigated markedly.  There was a time where kids could be (and often were) killed for being gay, being seen with a white woman (if they're black) and for being trans.  Nowadays that's given way to mean jokes and attacks on Facebook.  Still "difficulties" but way, way better than it was even 20 years ago.

I know several kids who are nonbinary, who have switched genders and who have come out as gay.  They are typically among the more confident and self assured kids out there.  They still face scorn and ridicule, but exactly how much difficulty they have depends on their parents and closest friends.  If you tell your son you're going to support him no matter what, he's going to get the message that it could be difficult (and thus he might need support) but that he will make it through if it's important to him.

13 hours ago, mistercwood said:

Couple of minor (but critical) corrections on these numbers:

* The percentage in question is 56%

* The percentage is taken from those poll respondents who stated they do not approve of Biden i.e. it's basically saying that of the people who don't like him, a little over half had nothing nice to say at all

In fairness to you, CNN completely screwed up the reporting of their own poll, and other news outlets are just running with their own words.

Thanks for the correction. I was listening to it on a broadcast while driving and didn't read the article.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billvon said:

Let's ignore that for now; sort of messes with the message.

In other news, 96%* of people polled believe that BillEisle is far worse than Biden for America.

(*that's 96% of people who like Biden and dislike BillEisle.)

Another perfect example of why some don't post here at all and why I spend much less time engaging.

These type personal attacks are just childish. It's the type thing people do when they have nothing intelligent to say. Making up lies is not your standard behavior. Your typical intelligent posts providing information are much more useful.

Edited by billeisele

19 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Another perfect example of why some don't post here at all and why I spend much less time engaging.

I completely agree with this. However, when you look at some of the more conservative posters, there’s plenty of talk about stupid liberals and the like. That knife cuts both ways.

Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, billeisele said:

These type personal attacks are just childish. It's the type thing people do when they have nothing intelligent to say. Making up lies is not your standard behavior. Your typical intelligent posts providing information are much more useful.

Sorry.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that 96% of the people here don't like you.  In my example, 1% of the people here don't like you and like Biden.  Of those people, 24 of them out of 25 thinks you are worse for America than Biden.  So that's 24 out of 2500.   Less than 1%.

But if you phrase it with just the right spin it sure sounds bad, dosen't it?

That was my point.  Not that you are worse than Biden, but rather that if you misrepresent the data as in the poll you posted, it SOUNDS really bad.   Sorry if it came across as actually bad.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:17 PM, airdvr said:

So you don't think my son would encounter difficulties? 

How can we answer the question when your only statement has been "if my son decided to wear dresses"? I have a feeling that means something specific to you. Something akin to your son deciding that he identifies as a woman and would like to dress as one. Unfortunately transgendered people do indeed encounter a fair number of problems. In many cases because they are often not taken seriously and get comments like " he has decided to wear dresses".

If however he has decided he wants to wear dresses on Friday nights at home while roleplaying with his wife, he probably will encounter a lot less problems. But I doubt, based on your attitude displayed here, he would share that particular kink with his old man.

Edited by SkyDekker

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Biden is so unpopular that his State of the Union speech is going to be rebutted by his own party:rofl:

https://wdet.org/2022/02/28/tlaib-to-give-progressive-response-to-state-of-the-union/

Tlaib will point out that Biden isn't sufficiently Liberal so he sucks. In any universe other than the alternate one you preside over all right wing trolls would be encouraged if not thrilled. But nope, you're a giggle and agog because, well, FUN!

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Biden is so unpopular that his State of the Union speech is going to be rebutted by his own party:rofl:

https://wdet.org/2022/02/28/tlaib-to-give-progressive-response-to-state-of-the-union/

Cool that the democratic party tolerates and encourages dissent and independent thought instead of crushing it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

If you think Trudeau is a strongman.....I am not even sure how one would finish that sentence. The premise itself is so laughable.

Like I said earlier. When Americans give their opinion of Trudeau you can tell right away if they are FOX viewers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Like I said earlier. When Americans give their opinion of world events you can tell right away if they are FOX viewers.

FIFY  

Brent isn't aware that the Trudeau-Liberal government is a minority government. So without the support of other political parties it could fall. i.e. be voted out tomorrow. If it failed to have other party support on any issue for which a vote is called.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

If you think Trudeau is a strongman.....I am not even sure how one would finish that sentence. The premise itself is so laughable.

No, not in the literal sense, he has his rent-a-cops doing his dirty work. Trudeau himself is a milquetoastian pantywaist. 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fitness/canadian-trucker-beaten-by-police-says-they-can-break-his-bones-but-not-my-spirit/vp-AAU8QGO

• Like 1