8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Each variant has been new. But, the point is - the things Biden said about Trump and how it was portrayed is not the same as it is now when it's Biden:

"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

Biden Feb 1, 2020 (Twitter)

"Trump further diminished the U.S. in the eyes of the world by expanding his travel ban. This new “African Ban,” is designed to make it harder for black and brown people to immigrate to the United States. It’s a disgrace, and we cannot let him succeed."

Biden Feb 1, 2020 (Twitter) 

"A wall will not stop the coronavirus. Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it. This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it."

Biden March 12, 2020 (Twitter)

For me; it's kinda like Cuomo calling Trump a misogynist. Which one gets more news and which one gets a pass by the liberal media. 

Are Cuomo and Trump really equatable? I mean there are multiple degrees of douchebaggery, right? 

11 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

True. I recently learned that lesson - again.  

Good. Now, for penance, you get your big ass down to the County Office and up that passport. RV-ing around America is fun but it ain't all the fun and, as you know from every time you sneeze, we both bought another 20 years of f-ing around.

Edited by JoeWeber

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Each variant has been new. But, the point is - the things Biden said about Trump and how it was portrayed is not the same as it is now when it's Biden:

"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

Biden Feb 1, 2020 (Twitter)

"Trump further diminished the U.S. in the eyes of the world by expanding his travel ban. This new “African Ban,” is designed to make it harder for black and brown people to immigrate to the United States. It’s a disgrace, and we cannot let him succeed."

Biden Feb 1, 2020 (Twitter) 

"A wall will not stop the coronavirus. Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it. This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it."

Biden March 12, 2020 (Twitter)

For me; it's kinda like Cuomo calling Trump a misogynist. Which one gets more news and which one gets a pass by the liberal media. 

????? What the hell are you complaining about? Biden is a politician and at the time he was running against Trump for the highest office possibly on the planet. Do you think he should have simply looked for nice things to say about The Dotard? Trump clearly had an agenda that was not only about Covid mitigation. Trump clearly is a freaking racist. That is the difference. The man has a long record.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Don't you see, Bill?  You're not only defending Trump, you're defending you. Step away from the bias and answer a simple question: knowing all you now know would you prefer Trump was still President?

Joe - that's an easy question. NO.

It's ridiculous that in this country the only two choices were Trump and Biden. There are so many other highly qualified individuals.

My post was about the bias of the media. 

Question for you: Is the media treating Biden with the same scrutiny that they treated Trump?

Edited by billeisele

26 minutes ago, billeisele said:

It's ridiculous that in this country the only two choices were Trump and Biden. There are so many other highly qualified individuals.

I blame your primary system and the lack of participation in it. But on the other hand I have also seen different systems produce poor candidates so I have no answers.

28 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Question for you: Is the media treating Biden with the same scrutiny that they treated Trump?

The answer entirely depends on what media you are talking about. Trump went out of his way to make enemies in the media for his own purposes. The better media sources seem to be doing well. There is just so much less negative things said by Biden. Trump went out every morning and fed the media tweets. He got exactly what he wanted. A lot of people talking about him.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

you get your big ass down to the County Office and up that passport.

Hmmm. It's easier than that. Couple of new photos and a DS-82 sent in and I'm good. I'll get it done this week, cause I looked at riding from Oklahoma to Panama after reading about these guys

Now, let's get back to sniveling about Biden. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Now, let's get back to sniveling about Biden. 

Least dynamic POTUS ever. Makes Jeb look "high energy".  I can see why he's hard to get excited about. But he knows how to govern and how to pull strings to work with what he's got. He is probably the right man at this time. No one in the current situation could push the USA together. But Biden will at least will not work to pull it apart.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

Joe - that's an easy question. NO.

My post was about the bias of the media. 

I'll go with Ken's answer. In the meantime let's stop with the specious, ill founded comparisons and stop eroding what little support Biden has whilst we all rejoice that the worst President in our history is no longer our President. Of course, in our spare time let's hang our asses out and tell our Trump deluded friends to wake the fuck up while we still have a semi functional democracy.

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Are Cuomo and Trump really equatable? I mean there are multiple degrees of douchebaggery, right? 

Cuomo is and always was a schmuck.

Trump is and always was the gold (plated) standard of sleaze. 

When it comes to being a douchebag, Cuomo gave it his best shot but is still in the Minor Leagues compared to the Mango Mussolini.

BSBD,

Winsor

9 hours ago, billeisele said:

Good morning. Help me understand how labeling one a "racist" because they banned travel from a country where COVID was booming is accurate.

Trump didn't actually ban travel from China.

He banned Chinese nationals. Not Americans. Not Europeans.
Not white people.

He put no restrictions on travel from Europe, where 'Covid was booming'.

He put no protocols in place for those travelling from places where "Covid was booming" (neither China nor Italy).
No testing, no quarantining, no nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

How is it different from the right wing side only talking about hypocrisy and not showing support for these travel restrictions now?

1. Because the media and specifically Biden was lambasting Trump as racist, xeno... etc. when  he was following the guidance of his advisors at that time.

2. Now that it's Biden doing the exact same thing - It's hands off. That is the hypocrisy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Because the media and specifically Biden was lambasting Trump as racist, xeno... etc. when  he was following the guidance of his advisors at that time.

Please do find a tweet where Biden mentions both the Chinese travel restrictions and Trump being xenophobic and/or racist. You may find you are being led around by media interpretations of another tweet.

Biden's comments on the Trump African travel ban need to be put into a wider context. The virus was absolutely rampant in Europe at that time as well. 

19 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Now that it's Biden doing the exact same thing - It's hands off. That is the hypocrisy.

Except it isn't really the exact same thing, at least not on the face of it. The Omicron variant is Rampant in Africa and not yet rampant in Europe or other places. If it is rampant in Europe and Africa and Biden would ban travel from only Africa, but not from Europe, that would be much closer to the exact same thing.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, JoeWeber said:

.... in our spare time let's hang our asses out and tell our Trump deluded friends to wake the fuck up while we still have a semi functional democracy.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, BIGUN said:

Most profound statement on here in awhile. 

Actually I found Joe's comment more profound.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BIGUN said:

...2. Now that it's Biden doing the exact same thing - It's hands off. That is the hypocrisy.

I agree President Biden has continued with some of trump's protectionist policies. He has continued trump's:

a. Border policies on southern immigration. Failed to tackle or mention comprehensive immigration reform.

b. "America first" trade policies in clear violation of the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA)

c. A go it alone China policy when he should be working with more allies than just Australia.

13 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

....Except it isn't really the exact same thing, at least not on the face of it. The Omicron variant is Rampant in Africa and not yet rampant in Europe or other places. If it is rampant in Europe and Africa and Biden would ban travel from only Africa, but not from Europe, that would be much closer to the exact same thing.

Agree. We know more about how to deal with covid. Travel restrictions will just buy a bit more time in holding new variants at bay. trump however intermixed racism, downplayed the dangers and ignored the science. At least President Biden is not directly butting heads with CDC policy. Promoting Ivermectin,bleach injections etc.

See Joe's quote above. How quickly the far right switches on the selective memory options.

14 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Please do find a tweet where Biden mentions both the Chinese travel restrictions and Trump being xenophobic and/or racist. You may find you are being led around by media interpretations of another tweet.

These are direct quotes from his Twitter account. Brother, this is about the fairness of the media towards the right vs. the left. I do not want to go down the path that makes it sound as though I am some form of trump-ette. 

37 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

These are direct quotes from his Twitter account. Brother, this is about the fairness of the media towards the right vs. the left. I do not want to go down the path that makes it sound as though I am some form of trump-ette. 

"I am some form of trump-ette." I agree.

I'd admit President Biden is guilty of a certain amount of pandering the the center of American politics/voter. Its well known that most of media tends to be center left. IMO part of that arises from a better understanding of the macro issues and part because their jobs involve a understanding of all the issues.