countzero

Does your DZ have load organizers?

it seems that a large majority of the DZ info pages on here list load organizers in thie facilaties info. yet i've lost track of how many posts i've seen over the past few years about people having difficulty finding people to jump with. this poll idea was sparked by the most recent such post in the women's forum.
where i jump it's mostly option 3 with 2 being a rare occasion. what about your DZ?
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

At my DZ all of us with the skills to pay the bills are load organizers. If you sign up on the load and we have three capable people we do a 4-way, if not its two 2-ways.

To see a 4-way on my DZ without at least one 10000 jump wonder on it is a freak occurrence.

To see the posts with people saying "no one will jump with me" makes me feel ashamed. To keep the sport alive and growing we have to help these people out.

I may be a very highly skilled jumper now, but I think there was a time when I was not so good.

I don't remember it but there has to be a beginning to everything.

So today I jump with anyone who signs up, no mater their skill level. Last weekend I was on at least two loads that I didn't really want to be on. I went because I have the ability to make things work. Even if they didn't work I could at least see the problems and help the people on the load see how they f-d up or contributed to the problem and how they should have fixed things. Thats how it works at my home (I live here).

I get no money for what I do (I pay full price), I do it for the love of the sport and the people doing it.

I am sure you can tell that this a personal pet peeve. I am getting more and more angry as I write so I'll stop here. Sorry for the rant.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

it seems that a large majority of the DZ info pages on here list load organizers in thie facilaties info. yet i've lost track of how many posts i've seen over the past few years about people having difficulty finding people to jump with. this was sparked by the most recent such post in the women's forum.

Well, the term "load organizer" has such a wide range of meanings, anywhere from a big-way organizer who gets paid and who is in great demand, to a person who was helped by other kind people when they were new, and want to pass on their skill and knowledge now that they are experienced. (Todd, don't think your post went unnoticed.)

It would be best if drop zones were more specific when they advertised the types of "load organizing" they have available, and what to expect. A lot of people say, "Oh yes, we have load organizers," and leave it at that.

Perhaps some people are now thinking that "load organizers available" means "right now", (drop everything and jump with me). Maybe some are just impatient and don't realize that there are some great people available to skydive with them, but that they might need to wait until they get through with a student or something like that.

I'm just suggesting this because I see a lot of impatience in people sometimes, and they take literally a lot of the things we are used to adjusting for the situation. Combine that with a number of people wanting to go to the DZ, make a few jumps real quick, and then get home, and it leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation.

(Not implying that the woman mentioned by the original poster is like that.)

[edit to add more pontification]

...To see the posts with people saying "no one will jump with me" makes me feel ashamed. To keep the sport alive and growing we have to help these people out.
...So today I jump with anyone who signs up, no mater their skill level.
...I get no money for what I do (I pay full price), I do it for the love of the sport and the people doing it.

Sorry, Todd. I really am NOT blowing smoke up your butt here. I gotta say it to EVERYBODY.

Everybody:
THIS is what makes Skydive Wissota such a great place. THIS attitude. THIS is the Jerry Schrimsher attitude. THIS is the major reason why this sport is so great.

Sit back and reflect on why YOU and YOUR DZ do not have this attitude. No response need to me...just asking you to look inside and ask yourself what YOU could do to promote this attitude.

Todd, you guys at Wissota ROCK!

What say you guys pack up and move south? We would LOVE to have you more accessible.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Perris has regular load organizers for both RW and Freefly. A lot of the locals jump with the organizers as a fairly steady group and we get a lot of visitors from all over the US and the world sent our way to jump with us. So whether you're local or just passing through, you'll always get on a load at Perris.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I don't do this because I'm a 100 jump wonder, and I worry that I would offend someone by asking to jump with them.

But I think that's exactly the "problem" that good "organizers" can help to combat - a bunch of newer jumpers running around not asking anyone to jump with them because they're worried that they'll offend others.

If you're worried that you'll offend people, I hope you're just selling yourself short, and it's not that you've picked up that attitude from others around your DZ who have given you a "go away, noob" vibe. I think that the best DZs have a welcoming attitude to people of all skill levels and will figure out a way to match people up for jumps, whether they have formal "LOs" or not. Not every DZ can support someone who's paid to plan skydives on every load every weekend. But every DZ can create an atmosphere where it's easy to say "hey, who's around who's doing smallish RW today?" or "I have about 200 jumps, most them freefly and want to do some 2 or 3 way freefly jumps" and people will point you in the right direction and you'll find like-minded people for a jump or two or five and no one will be offended that you asked or offended that you jumped with them and everyone stays safe and has fun.

When I was a newbie jumper I jumped regularly with a woman who has several thousand jumps. She loves "raising" new jumpers, and every time, the first thing she does when everyone's down from the jump is come over, tell you how much fun she had on the jump, and thank YOU for jumping with HER. That's the exact opposite of feeling like you're offending an experienced jumper by asking, eh?!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

At my DZ all of us with the skills to pay the bills are load organizers. If you sign up on the load and we have three capable people we do a 4-way, if not its two 2-ways.

To see a 4-way on my DZ without at least one 10000 jump wonder on it is a freak occurrence.

To see the posts with people saying "no one will jump with me" makes me feel ashamed. To keep the sport alive and growing we have to help these people out.

I may be a very highly skilled jumper now, but I think there was a time when I was not so good.

I don't remember it but there has to be a beginning to everything.

So today I jump with anyone who signs up, no mater their skill level. Last weekend I was on at least two loads that I didn't really want to be on. I went because I have the ability to make things work. Even if they didn't work I could at least see the problems and help the people on the load see how they f-d up or contributed to the problem and how they should have fixed things. Thats how it works at my home (I live here).

I get no money for what I do (I pay full price), I do it for the love of the sport and the people doing it.

I am sure you can tell that this a personal pet peeve. I am getting more and more angry as I write so I'll stop here. Sorry for the rant.

As a newcomer to the sport it makes me happy to see people with your attitude. I love meeting experienced jumpers who are considerate of people of different skill levels. Like you said everyone has a beginning at some point. To meet a skygod who thinks his shit don't stink is a complete turnoff to be frank.

Blue skies,
Andrew

Like said earlier, this depends on how you define load organizer.
If you are looking for someone who is getting paid for waiting untill some jumpers with no teammates show up to make a jump together, the I vote no.
If you are looking for someone who is available for "single" jumpers to jump with them (be it two-way, 3-way, or more) then I would say, most of the times, you will find that kind of person(s) at my DZ:
They might not jump with you/a group the whole day, but you will get at least one or two organized jumps.

The secret is to ask for "help" instead of waiting to get adressed.
I have so far never seen someone who wants to jump in a group driving home in the evening without havung at least one jump with others.

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

If you're worried that you'll offend people, I hope you're just selling yourself short, and it's not that you've picked up that attitude from others around your DZ who have given you a "go away, noob" vibe.

The main DZ I jump at is quite cliquey, and I'm planning to move to a new one when they open back up in March, but I do think people in the UK do seem to do a lot more solos than anywhere else I've ever been. Getting on jumps in the US, Spain and South Africa has always just seemed easier to me - Look at the load sheet, find anyone else doing a solo, and trying and make a group - it normally works.

Part of my problem is that I don't know the best way to approach this in the UK. I know that some DZs want _everyone_ on an RW jump to have their FS1, other DZs are happy for the official rule of 1 non-FS1 in a group.

The final, and biggest problem is me... I'm dead scared of asking someone else to jump and getting laughed or sneered at. Which is funny in light of the fact that I'm about to jump out of a plane from 13000ft, but I'm scared of people :(

I'm also always worried about ruining a jump for someone and wasting their money, and I figure if _they_ ask _me_ then I feel less bad. Of course, if I screw it up, it's a waste just the same...

One thing I have done every where I have been is try and jump with new jumpers, because I know how it feels to be standing on the flight line not knowing anyone, and doing your 5th solo in a row.

I mostly only jump on Fridays, but where i jump there is always load organizers for RW and FF on the weekend. But on friday there is always someone to jump with, and we will approach you if you look new to us. There is no reason for any skydiver to be scared to approach another jumper to ask if he wants to jump. If someone acts like a sky god then F%$^ them. This sport is all about interacting with like minded people. If they act like that than just get the last laugh by understanding that they are morons.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

And let me be sure everyone knows that this attitude is being passed on to us newbies.

I got my coach rating a little over a week ago and I am so excited to start paying it back!

Andy--I wish that that we could move south! Then maybe I would have more than 9 jumps for the year!

And this offer is open to anyone: Anyone that wants to come visit Wissota, get in contact with me. I'll arrange to have you picked up/dropped off at the aiport (Minneapolis or Eau Claire) and get you to the dz. You can stay at the clubhouse for free and you'll almost eat for free and the beer fridge is always fully stocked! Cheap weekend skydiving getaway!

To meet a skygod who thinks his shit don't stink is a complete turnoff to be frank.

Oh, this is not so true about Todd. His ass funk is worth getting the door early or cracking the window on a brisk, cold winter day. But the fact that he thinks his shit don't stink is because he no longer has a sense of smell, literally. He has to go by "how moist the air" feels coming out and the expressions on our faces.

But I'm sure you were talking figuratively, not literally.

I commit so much time to these new jumps, and I still get picked on relentlessly. It's just not fair:(

Just remember .... it is all out of love;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Come to Z-Hills..... Load Organizers out the wazooooooooo. Got to beat them off with a stick!

OK, I'll be making my :D visit this weekend, probably. I'll bring a big stick. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Freefall Adventures in Crosskeys New Jeresey has Steve Love.
Steve is at the drop zone every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
Steve jumps with and organizes everyone who wants to do an RW jump.
It doesn't matter if you have 20 or 2000 jumps.
Every dropzone should be so lucky to have a guy like Steve.
You are only as good as you think you are.

New guy perspective:

There isn't any load organizing at my home DZ- but the experienced guys have been a HUGE help.
I'm a check-dive away from my A license and have been accompanied by coaches without asking or charge 2 times, and have already had 5 or 6 people ask me to join them once the stamp is on the A card.
I'm not the most outgoing guy so that kind of stuff makes me feel accepted, and excited about going back for more.

Positive feedback from the coaches on my progress has helped a lot, but I think offering to buy them pizza could work to my advantage :)
As a new guy in the sport, I can't begin to tell you how much of a difference having the experienced guys ask to go on a jump with you means. I definately plan on returning the favor when I'm in their position.

Hope this wan't too far off subject...

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251