5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

If it is in Southern California it is even more concerning, considering they have asked Ambulances to restrict the people they take to hospital and to start conserving O2.

It may or may not be. I can tell you that all or most of the DZs in socal are still operating as far as I know. People are sure posting plenty of photos of them jumping at the DZs, many without masks of course.

Edited by Westerly

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Thought and prayers going out to them.

You're nicer than me. More like a middle finger from me. These guys are having massive parties, no social distancing, no masks, no precautions, nothing. The top 3 rules from the CDC are: 1. no large gatherings, 2. social distance, 3. wear a mask. They did none of that and now they are rightfully paying the price. I dont have much sympathy for people who endanger other peoples lives. Going out and partying, getting infected and then being around others in public is not much different than operating a car while drunk.

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

It may or may not be. I can tell you that all or most of the DZs in socal are still operating as far as I know. People are sure posting plenty of photos of them jumping at the DZs, many without masks of course.

It's SDAZ.

All over FB.

There have been a few places that have posted "we had a big party and now we find out that someone present was likely contagious". 
Not just DZs, but other places that I pay attention to.

Gonna with hold my 'sympathies and condolences' towards folks who deliberately chose to ignore the science and common sense because they really wanted to go to a fucking party.

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's SDAZ.

All over FB.

Their statement:

It has come to our attention that several people who have been at our facilities in the last week have now tested positive for COVID-19. These individuals have been asked to personally inform anyone that they were in direct contact with. 
We highly recommend that all people who have been at our property and business subsidiaries between the dates of December 22nd and January 3rd take social distancing precautions and get tested for COVID-19. 
We will continue to enforce all precautions as recommended by the CDC to prevent the spread of coronavirus. 
Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

So their response is "we asked the sick people to call around to the other people there they were in contact with."  I sure don't remember everyone I was with last time I was at SDAZ.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, billvon said:

Their statement:

It has come to our attention that several people who have been at our facilities in the last week have now tested positive for COVID-19. These individuals have been asked to personally inform anyone that they were in direct contact with. 
We highly recommend that all people who have been at our property and business subsidiaries between the dates of December 22nd and January 3rd take social distancing precautions and get tested for COVID-19. 
We will continue to enforce all precautions as recommended by the CDC to prevent the spread of coronavirus. 
Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

So their response is "we asked the sick people to call around to the other people there they were in contact with."  I sure don't remember everyone I was with last time I was at SDAZ.

Or if it's even likely that you have all their contact details even if you COULD remember.

Way to pass the buck, assholes.

ha. Imagine if you remembered you'd been in contact with 'Buck' that night but didn't have his phone number. You call SDAZ and say 'hey, I need Buck's contact details for this Covid thing. They can either give them to you, breaking data privacy laws and opening themselves up to being sued, or shrug and go 'sorry, we're not allowed to...' and reap the publicity that'd have. At BEST they could make the call to Buck themselves, but given their initial response I doubt it's something they'd do.

Edited by yoink

11 minutes ago, yoink said:

... Imagine if you remembered you'd been in contact with 'Buck' that night but didn't have his phone number. You call SDAZ and say 'hey, I need Buck's contact details for this Covid thing. They can either give them to you, breaking data privacy laws and opening themselves up to being sued, or shrug and go 'sorry, we're not allowed to...' and reap the publicity that'd have. At BEST they could make the call to Buck themselves, but given their initial response I doubt it's something they'd do.

Or better yet, instead of "Buck", how about "Melissa" or "Amy"?

Or any of the other women that jump there?

That opens up "a whole 'nuther" can of worms. (yet another 'infix' for ya Professor ;P)

1 hour ago, billvon said:

From the Arizona skydivers page, looks like there were eight people at the DZ over the holidays who are now positive for SARS-CoV-2.

Here are some photos from their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SkydiveArizona/photos/pcb.10164838352080691/10164838350260691

https://www.facebook.com/SkydiveArizona/photos/pcb.10164838352080691/10164838351115691

In other words, lots of partying, close contact, few if any masks that I can see. And people are wondering why the virus spread? I would be surprised if only 8 people got infected. It's probably a lot more.

3 hours ago, yoink said:

They can either give them to you, breaking data privacy laws and opening themselves up to being sued,

Can you reference an actual law they would be breaking, or a relevant civil precedent? It's quite common for people to have severe misconceptions about "privacy laws".

24 minutes ago, nwt said:

or a relevant civil precedent?

Invasion of privacy is a tort based in common law allowing an aggrieved party to bring a lawsuit against an individual who unlawfully intrudes into his/her private affairs, discloses his/her private information, publicizes him/her in a false light, or appropriates his/her name for personal gain.

https://www.stimmel-law.com/en/articles/legal-right-privacy

8 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Invasion of privacy is a tort based in common law allowing an aggrieved party to bring a lawsuit against an individual who unlawfully intrudes into his/her private affairs, discloses his/her private information, publicizes him/her in a false light, or appropriates his/her name for personal gain.

https://www.stimmel-law.com/en/articles/legal-right-privacy

Sure, but what are the damages?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/01/moderna-shamed-with-shkreli-award-over-high-covid-vaccine-prices/

Moderna, maker of one of only two vaccines granted emergency authorizations to prevent COVID-19 in the US, has been shamed with a 2020 “Shkreli Award” by the Lown Institute, a healthcare think tank. The awards, announced annually for four years now, go to “perpetrators of the ten most egregious examples of profiteering and dysfunction in health care.”

Award judges cited Moderna’s pricing of its COVID-19 vaccine, which was developed with $1 billion in federal funding. Still, despite the tax-payer backing, Moderna set the estimated prices for its vaccine significantly higher than other vaccine developers.

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/01/moderna-shamed-with-shkreli-award-over-high-covid-vaccine-prices/

Moderna, maker of one of only two vaccines granted emergency authorizations to prevent COVID-19 in the US, has been shamed with a 2020 “Shkreli Award” by the Lown Institute, a healthcare think tank. The awards, announced annually for four years now, go to “perpetrators of the ten most egregious examples of profiteering and dysfunction in health care.”

Award judges cited Moderna’s pricing of its COVID-19 vaccine, which was developed with $1 billion in federal funding. Still, despite the tax-payer backing, Moderna set the estimated prices for its vaccine significantly higher than other vaccine developers.

So their initial estimated price was 1.5-2x that of Pfizer/BioNTech, they were criticized for it, then they lowered the price to below that of the competition?

*yawn*

What's this have to do with Shkreli?

19 hours ago, nwt said:

Sure, but what are the damages?

I'm not familiar with Arizona state law, but in California there's the California Customer Protection Act, a breach of which is punishable by a $7,500 fine per intentional breach or $2,500 per unintentional one.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, yoink said:

I'm not familiar with Arizona state law, but in California there's the California Customer Protection Act, a breach of which is punishable by a $7,500 fine per intentional breach or $2,500 per unintentional one.

I'm assuming you're referring to this

I'm not familiar with it, but a quick perusal suggests this would come nowhere close to a violation. A DZ could give out your name and phone number to the entire world for no reason and it wouldn't be a violation.

Edited by nwt
wrong link

4 minutes ago, nwt said:

I'm assuming you're referring to this

I'm not familiar with it, but a quick perusal suggests this would come nowhere close to a violation. A DZ could give out your name and phone number to the entire world for no reason and it wouldn't be a violation.

No they can't. The point of it is to ensure customers are OK with their information being disclosed before it actually happens. Customers would have to tick a box saying 'yes, it's ok to give out / sell my information'. The default assumption is that people aren't OK with it and have to opt in.

Whether anyone would actually hold SDAZ liable? Probably not, unless something nasty happens. Like Joe suggested, if it was used to get the number of a girl who didn't want you to have it and was then stalked? Yeah, that would go badly.

12 minutes ago, yoink said:

No they can't. The point of it is to ensure customers are OK with their information being disclosed before it actually happens. Customers would have to tick a box saying 'yes, it's ok to give out / sell my information'. The default assumption is that people aren't OK with it and have to opt in.

Whether anyone would actually hold SDAZ liable? Probably not, unless something nasty happens. Like Joe suggested, if it was used to get the number of a girl who didn't want you to have it and was then stalked? Yeah, that would go badly.

You're right in that I misunderstood part of that page that was about stolen information and not about intential disclosure. However, I still don't see how it would be anywhere near a violation:

1. What rights do I have under the CCPA?

If you are a California resident, you may ask businesses to disclose what personal information they have about you and what they do with that information, to delete your personal information and not to sell your personal information. You also have the right to be notified, before or at the point businesses collect your personal information, of the types of personal information they are collecting and what they may do with that information. Generally, businesses cannot discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA. Businesses cannot make you waive these rights, and any contract provision that says you waive these rights is unenforceable.

I'm just not seeing it. Where's the violation?

2 hours ago, nwt said:

So their initial estimated price was 1.5-2x that of Pfizer/BioNTech, they were criticized for it, then they lowered the price to below that of the competition?

*yawn*

What's this have to do with Shkreli?

What do the double helix of DNA, the BCS theory of superconductivity or the blue LED  have to do with Alfred Nobel?

You really need to pay attention.

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

What do the double helix of DNA, the BCS theory of superconductivity or the blue LED  have to do with Alfred Nobel?

You really need to pay attention.

As both a computer engineer and medical doctor, I know a fair bit about those topics.

I'm not defending Moderna, but I don't see how the comparison to Shkreli is anything but hyperbolic.

You have my attention. Tell me why I'm wrong.