JoeWeber

Gott mit uns

It's a shitty contemplation, but if things in America play out as they seem likely to do, maybe it's time to learn from others who needed to learn to live under their new authoritarian government.

Obviously, not everyone who conforms believes but there is a clear correlation between the appearance of belief and survival. 

Maybe we can rise as a nation and fix the unfixable before our democracy is finished but it's hard to see that happening. Power has decided the future. Lamar Alexander told us the truth: “It was inappropriate for the president to ask a foreign leader to investigate his political opponent and to withhold United States aid to encourage that investigation. When elected officials inappropriately interfere with such investigations, it undermines the principle of equal justice under the law. But the Constitution does not give the Senate the power to remove the president from office and ban him from this year’s ballot simply for actions that are inappropriate." So there it is: one mans high crime is simply another mans inappropriate.

In a separate interview Alexander reminded us that Trumps questionable behavior was more than offset by the great economy, excellent judge selections and fewer regulations. This is what they who now decide believe and we ignore that truth at our peril.

Again, we can parse the truth of the economic metrics, the quality of the judges or whether the dismantling of the regulatory system is good. But unless something big happens, and fast, the di are cast and American democracy, as we once knew it, rolled snake eyes.

Time to hunker down, methinks.

Edited by JoeWeber

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

In a separate interview Alexander reminded us that Trumps questionable behavior was more than offset by the great economy, excellent judge selections and fewer regulations.

I'm fairly certain they could have those things under Pence. But what really matters is two things. Anyone who goes against Trump in most of the country will not survive their next primary. And they know that if they remove their leader a Democrat will certainly win the next election. At a time when the dotard enjoys the support of almost all likely R voters there is nothing the Senators can do that does not involve large self sacrifice. Politicians of any stripe are not known for bravery or self sacrifice. The situation is like a Joseph Heller novel.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Only beans, libs/progs don’t believe in firearms, they will defend themselves with flatulence.

Brother, I'm a known pansy assed liberal/progressive. But if you think all of us are incapable of blasting your ass into oblivion to get what we need to survive then I'm already half way into your larder.

6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't feel like reading from the start - 

What did Ron post this time?

End of the world again?

I stated a long time ago we were in a culture war that could lead to SHTF. I moved the north GA mountains and was/am severely ridiculed. Now the liberals are beginning to feel the pain. 

BTW turtlespeed, I never, repeat never, predicted the end of the world. That was/is liberal BS.

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Only beans, libs/progs don’t believe in firearms, they will defend themselves with flatulence.

you forgot that without liberals, we would all be british colonists.  the conservatives were loyalists.  i can also send you a link for a thousand rounds of 5.56mm 55 gr ball for $180 for tula, $240 for winchester.  i am a very proud liberal and, while not a prepper per se, i am always prepared for just about anything.

18 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

you forgot that without liberals, we would all be british colonists.  the conservatives were loyalists.  i can also send you a link for a thousand rounds of 5.56mm 55 gr ball for $180 for tula, $240 for winchester.  i am a very proud liberal and, while not a prepper per se, i am always prepared for just about anything.

You're my kind of pansey. One thing I'm slow on is the 5.56mm round. We aren't going to war with each other, no matter what Ron wants, so it's one shot and clean it or run for it. Whats the attraction?

9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You're my kind of pansey. One thing I'm slow on is the 5.56mm round. We aren't going to war with each other, no matter what Ron wants, so it's one shot and clean it or run for it. Whats the attraction?

Dammit, you're ruining the fantasy that firearms would be the most relevant thing to survive the collapse of our centralized government!  It's as if all of a sudden we would start shooting each other and have to all run out and shoot deer as if we aren't sitting on some of the worlds best land for farming and grazing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJL said:

Dammit, you're ruining the fantasy that firearms would be the most relevant thing to survive the collapse of our centralized government!  It's as if all of a sudden we would start shooting each other and have to all run out and shoot deer as if we aren't sitting on some of the worlds best land for farming and grazing.

I'm not worried about the upcoming Trumpocalypse.

I have taught myself how to make the necessities from scratch.

Kill Clean and Cook (Black Powder), make soap and disinfectants, Sew and weave, Leather work.

I'm a quite a bit under educated in medical, just first aid and CPR.  I think I'll add a few classes to my list on that.

19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

i invite you to come on over and see what kind of pansey you think i am at any time there fred.  i assure you it will not go well for you.  i am not that hard to find, either.  i live in wv, and we like guns here.  that is the point of the 5.56 round, all 1000 of them.  folks tend to think liberals don't want or like guns, but i am here to tell you that is not the case for a real liberal, not one of the insults people such as yourself tend to throw around.  it is a fact that real liberals threw the british out, and conservatives wanted them to stay.  enjoy your day and any time you want to come visit, let me know and i'll send the address to you.

2 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i invite you to come on over and see what kind of pansy you think i am at any time there fred...

... but i am here to tell you that is not the case for a real liberal, not one of the insults people such as yourself tend to throw around.  it is a fact that real liberals threw the british out, and conservatives wanted them to stay.  enjoy your day and any time you want to come visit, let me know and i'll send the address to you.

Dude. turn up the gain on your sarcasm detector.

He's a bit hard to decipher at times, his humor is a bit esoteric. But even I can see his 'my kind of pansy' was in jest, directed more at Brent than you.

sorry, this is me.  you should see what i'm like when i'm pissed.  that was more for amusement than anything else, although it has gotten me in trouble sometimes.  my actual temper has gotten way worse but i've learned to control it way better so i am at a net positive over my 20 year old self.  actually, i am a pretty decent guy and love almost everyone.  i can love someone and hate their choices or actions.  i welcome anyone who wants to come visit and jump with me anytime, but our dz is only open on weekends and not yet this year.  i will absolutely discuss politics, rationally like an adult without judgement or fighting, just to see what you believe.  so far, everyone i have done that with want the same end results, no matter the ideology or political views.  there are some differing views on the dz and i have discussed them with everyone at one point or another i think and am still friends with them all.  i'll even match ya a case of beer.  enjoy the day all.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

That's if you survive until the next harvest, and how are you going to protect your crops from the savages, with a strawman?

And, and, and if farming can't survive a trade war in a flourishing 20 Trillion dollar economy, then I doubt it would survive the apocalypse.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Dude. turn up the gain on your sarcasm detector.

He's a bit hard to decipher at times, his humor is a bit esoteric. But even I can see his 'my kind of pansy' was in jest, directed more at Brent than you.

Momma said all that jokin' around would bring me to no good end.

14 minutes ago, Coreece said:

And, and, and if farming can't survive a trade war in a flourishing 20 Trillion dollar economy, then I doubt it would survive the apocalypse.

Yeah, laugh now. But just wait till you and all the others are lined up at the gates for your ration of poppy resin when that turns into the greatest USA cash crop.

13 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That's if you survive until the next harvest, and how are you going to protect your crops from the savages, with a strawman?

Somehow farming and the food supply has survived since before 20 Trillion dollar economies existed.  I'm not downplaying the role of an armed security force but me with one gun won't help much against a group who wants to bushwack me and steal all the mushrooms they can carry.  By the way, I'm a mushroom grower in our fantasy future.  I actually do grow them as a hobby and it's a guaranteed source of barter during the winter when food is scarce.  I can skin a buck and run a trot-line too.

Just now, JoeWeber said:

Er, um, so, you are aware we aren't in a trade war with ourselves, right?

Considering we're paying the tariffs and farms are at a 10 year record high for foreclosure you'd think we are.