Hooknswoop

New Bill Could Force Automakers to Install In-Car Breathalyzers to Prevent Drunk Driving

42 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Or maybe fully autonomous vehicles. No need for breathalyzers, distracted drivers, or cell phone usage. Remove the unsafe humans from the situation and don't allow them access to the controls of the vehicle.  

I don't want to wait for that. I want drunk drivers off the roads now, not sometime in the future after thousands more are killed.

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:
8 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Or maybe fully autonomous vehicles. No need for breathalyzers, distracted drivers, or cell phone usage. Remove the unsafe humans from the situation and don't allow them access to the controls of the vehicle.  

I don't want to wait for that. I want drunk drivers off the roads now, not sometime in the future after thousands more are killed.

Ya, and if you don't like it, move to Texas!

Well, apparently Quebec province is instituting a new law.

Mandatory breathalyzer interlock for anyone convicted of a 2nd offense OWI.
Some pretty harsh penalties for driving a car without one (so don't loan your car to someone with 2 convictions).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/drunk-driving-twice-quebec-breathalyzer-for-life-1.5369145?fbclid=IwAR1iqaOWT-K5zGodH8Uq7819xNsNKM67yYsZyrA8o0vsayess-OGx3AJOvo

I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so I'll just add it here.

Brown County (the county in Wisconsin where Green Bay is located) set a new record.

ZERO alcohol related fatal car crashes.
This has never happened before.

I'm not sure if I'm happy that it happened, or deeply disturbed that it's never happened in the past. Obviously, it happened in the time before cars. I'm not sure how far back they are going for the 'never'. 

Link (story is from the 31st, before it was official, but they didn't have any last night):

https://www.nbc26.com/news/local-news/brown-county-on-pace-to-set-record-year-with-no-deadly-drunken-driving-crashes-in-2019

13 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so I'll just add it here.

Brown County (the county in Wisconsin where Green Bay is located) set a new record.

ZERO alcohol related fatal car crashes.
This has never happened before.

I'm not sure if I'm happy that it happened, or deeply disturbed that it's never happened in the past. Obviously, it happened in the time before cars. I'm not sure how far back they are going for the 'never'. 

Link (story is from the 31st, before it was official, but they didn't have any last night):

https://www.nbc26.com/news/local-news/brown-county-on-pace-to-set-record-year-with-no-deadly-drunken-driving-crashes-in-2019

Did they need the breathalyzer to accomplish this?